Are "before" pictures worth taking?

Options
I've never really taken "before" pictures prior to beginning a weight loss push/journey. From experience, does anyone find it really helpful or motivating to have before and after pictures? Has anyone been really disappointed?

I'm just looking for some way to really track my progress that isn't subjective, but I'm not really one to take pictures.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    I found it essential considering the only measure I use for progress is the mirror.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    YES! I really can't believe I was the before or after in either picture. I wish I had taken more progress pics actually.
  • MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Um.. YES! Because there WILL be days when you're frustrated, ready to give up, just see absolutely "no change" in the mirror... and someone will suggest taking progress pics. You won't want to do it, of course, because you just "know" you haven't made any progress an d this is just a big fat waste of your time... Do it anyway and you'll be surprised and find the motivation to keep going.

True story. :wink:
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Most definitely. Especially if you have a large amount to lose. Pictures will help you see changes that you don't really notice in the mirror.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes, I found it very helpful and motivating. There were times when I felt discouraged because the scale wasn't moving as fast as I'd like, but it was really motivating to look back at what I used to look like, and how much my body had changed, and to imagine how much it might change still. Even now, when I've been maintaining for about 10 months, there are still times when I get a bit tired of it all and have fleeting moments of wondering if it's all worth it. I sometimes forget just how much I've achieved. Looking at those pictures can really bring it home how much I lost and how much I changed my body. And even though I'm maintaining, I still take pictures fairly regularly, because my body is still changing with strength training.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I don't know........ You tell me???

B4andafter.jpg

OP Yes before Pictures are important.... I keep a picture of that guy on the tractor on my visor in my truck and every time I go to the gym or to the park to workout I can see just how far I have come....

Best of Luck
  • sweetangel2013
    sweetangel2013 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I never liked my pic taken either. Took a lot to ask my boyfriend to take my before pics. I am so glad I did because now I can compare and it is so very encouraging to see the progress. Now I have a full length mirror and take my own pics because I am actually beginning to like who I see in the mirror.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    OP - I noticed from your profile that you're only looking to lose about 20 lbs. You might think there's not going to be much difference, but I bet you'll be really surprised if you take photos now, and compare them to ones taken later. Even with a small amount of weight loss, there can be a big difference.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with everyone else! I've done dieting on and off for the past 10 years and I think one of my biggest down falls was not keeping myself motivated. I started doing pictures once a month now and although I'm not very far into my journey , it's nice to see the pictures from the start and see that I've lost weight. Plus the first pic is a reminder of what I never want to let happen again.I often joke about taking my before picture and blowing it up and posting it on the fridge for the reminder of why I shouldn't fat snack it out.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    YES!!

I didn't think there was much difference in my weight loss until I found a photo from 2009 - I showed it to my walking buddy and her reply, "OMG where have all your chins gone!!!!" She said this was a compliment lol

Because we see ourselves every day we don't notice the difference in ourselves but unfortunately or fortunately however you look at it the camera NEVER lies!

Use it as an incentive/encouragement x
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    YES! I wish I had taken better before pictures at more angles, because they're pretty crappy and are hard to compare to now. So get in that mirror and take front relaxed, front flexed, side, back, and back flexed. You will thank yourself later.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's what has kept me going. The scale only moved 4 pounds in 6 months, but my body has been transformed. Take photos.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I hated taking them at the time but it is SO worth it after! When youve gotten far enough along that you arent thinking about it anymore, you look back and cant believe t, and feel proud.
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Amazing transformation :)
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    yes! yes! and YES:laugh:
  • alphal0b0
    alphal0b0 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I find it extremely helpful... Only way I can see it being disappointing is if you're not actually doing your part in the gym and in the kitchen!
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, would have given up many times by now if I didn't do them to see how far I've come.

Do it, do it, do it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I took them, but the computer they were stored on got stolen. :mad: I was really wishing I had them just a couple days ago. Also try keeping a shirt and a pair of pants that you don't quite fit into yet and try them on occasionally.