Is curvy the same thing as fat?

Options

Replies

• RebeccaHite
    RebeccaHite Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

Where you are bigger in areas just means more muscle there....""Fat evens out all over your body where you appear bigger is just more muscle mass underneath "
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Curvy is when the fat goes to all the right places - Boobs, hip, *kitten*. Fat is when it goes to belly, thighs and face.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Words have a way of meaning different things to different people.
  • mmouse90
    Options
    When men use the word, its meant positively (correctly, bcuz they wouldnt call a fat woman just curvy), when women use it they just mean fat (they are trying to be nice). My experience :)

I agree with this! Any my measurements are similar to OP's, hips are 41" though....from all the kids I guess :-)

About the same measurements for me however I have 41" hips without the kids......
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My measurements are 34-25-38 and people call me curvy. And since curvy is just a nicer synonym for fat, did they really mean I was fat? I'm so confused with the difference between curvy vs. fat. What do you classify as "curvy"?

Where you are bigger in areas just means more muscle there....""Fat evens out all over your body where you appear bigger is just more muscle mass underneath "

:huh:
  • adamalle
    adamalle Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Totally different!

Fat:

Funny+Very+Very+Fat+Woman_7.jpg

Curvy:
    christina-hendricks-photo-shoot-sessions-of-1927862319.jpg
  • lorenzovonmatterhorn7549
    Options
    You can have curves and be fit at the same time. Look at Salma Hayek
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between curvy and fat - I loved being able to say I am curvy sadly that changed and now I am fat. Big difference!
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You have a 25 inch waist - you are not fat! :-)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    This annoys me. They are not the same and curves is abused about as much as starvation mode.

I saw a girl post in a thread last week, that she and her boyfriend both liked her 'curves' and did not want her to lose too much. I assume her definition of curves involves being round, as her body had no actual curves but mostly fat that gave her the shape of a beach ball.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I actually think of myself more as curvy when I'm slimmer. It's not that I don't still have curves since I have a definite waist that smaller than the rest of me, but I'm more lumpy than curvy now. I'm working towards the curvy.
  • maddogg82
    maddogg82 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    When men use the word, its meant positively (correctly, bcuz they wouldnt call a fat woman just curvy), when women use it they just mean fat (they are trying to be nice). My experience :)

YES!!!!! I BELIEVE this is TRUE
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I think that curvy should refer to a shape, not a size, but it is often used as a euphemism for fat regardless of shape.
  • FitCurves444
    FitCurves444 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It depends who you're talking to, I guess.

I know that some "larger" women have used the word "curvy" to describe themselves, but it is not becuase they are "fat" but because they truly are "curvy".

To me (and I think most people) "curvy" means that instead of being shapeless-skinny (or round-fat for others), you have a feminine figure.

How can you be fat if you're stomach is FLAT and have a 25 in waist... sounds more like you're bragging than confused....:wink:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I didn't think curvy equated to fat until I came to MFP.
  • vanillacoffee
    vanillacoffee Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

This. I think that it is different but it is used as a euphemism to be the same.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I think curvy means a very defined waist. Curvy girls can be thin or chubby or anywhere in between, but being round does not make one curvy.

I agree - most of the models who resemble adolescent boys - are not fat and they are not curvy. What happened to Mae West and Marilyn Monroe types? :-)
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

lol wut?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    um, no.
    duh.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'm a healthy weight, and fit, and still have my womanly curves. Not fat!