How did you change your workouts once you hit your goal??

Options
I am getting close to hitting my goal weight (yay)...hopefully in the next few months. I am curious as to how everyone who is at maintenance has adjusted their workouts? Are you working out as much as you did while you were losing your weight or have you cut back a bit on the exercise? Did you cut back on the cardio and add more weight training in place of the cardio?

I currently do 3 days cardio / 3 days lifting per week myself.

Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am curious to see the responses on this!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I just started maintenance, but I have no plans to change my workouts, though I probably won't obsess as much if I have to miss one
  • GCAsMom
    GCAsMom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to read responses to this. I'm getting close to goal myself and do Zumba three times a week, which I do NOT want to give up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've always been exercising to be stronger, and I still want to be able to eat more, so, if anything, I want to exercise more and harder. That isn't always possible, but it's what I strive for.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lost 312 lbs. over the course of 3 years 3 months and went into maintenance just ahead of my circumferential bodylift Sept. 24th of 2012 and have been maintaining at 248-250 for the last 11 months... Of course I had 3 months where I could not exercise do to healing but once I was cleared to get back to my normal routine absolutely nothing has changed from the way I workout before to how I work out now other than the fact the more weight I lost the better I was able to exercise... Still Lift 4 days a week and do cardio 6 days a week with 1 rest day thrown into the mix... I adjusted my calories up from losing at 3400 to maintenance where I am now at 4000 calories a day. At my 1 year mark from surgery (just a few weeks off) I am going back into weight loss mode and make the push to my original goal I set when I weighed 560 lbs. which was to get to 230 lbs. so of course my calories will drop again but my workout will stay the same.... Best of Luck

to add:

Exercise for me has always been more about Fitness and the overall feeling it gives you.... I can lose weight without exercise, heck when I started this journey I couldn't even walk so the weight loss back then was always about my diet... Only reason I Eat the calories I do now is to fuel my body for the workout I demand of it to do....
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    No need to change your workouts unless you want to (I strongly recommend a variety of workouts to prevent burnout, but that is a different topic). Although once you are eating to maintenance you may see that you actually have more energy for more intense workouts. Good luck and congrats on reaaching your goal!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I lost 80 lbs in just over a year. I had to scale back my cardio slightly because I kept on losing and I didn't want that. Once I did and upped my calories a little I figured out that is what worked for my body to maintain. I'm still very active, but my cardio is not as intense as it was when I was losing weight.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I added strength now that I am at goal. I would like to do 3 days strength and 3 days cardio. I want to tone my new body now.
  • StripedSmoker
    StripedSmoker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Working out jsut as much as before :) After all I do it for fitness and health, not weightloss (anymore).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    haven't- but I never was losing weight to lose weight- I just want to be the best athlete I can- be stronger faster harder.

Had little to do with weight loss itself.
  • emjaycazz
    emjaycazz Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    My approach to working out has changed, but the actual type and duration hasn't decreased. Now I work out because I've come to love the things I'm doing and the impact that they have on my health & fitness.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I stopped doing all-cardio and switched to mostly lifting :-)
  • DashDeV
    DashDeV Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I haven't changed my workouts at all.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Less focus on max calorie burn and more focus on well-rounded workouts including cardio ,strength, and toning exercises. I've also added fitness goals such as improving time/intensity of runs.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    stop working out
    start drinking lots of booze.
  • Frumpy2Fit
    Frumpy2Fit Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • nynjalizzy
    Options
    I only had 8 lbs to lose, but I've only increased my workout intensity since reaching my goal. I'm doing things like interval training and increasing my weights on strength days. I've upped my calories slightly to compensate for this. Now my motivation is muscular strength and cardiovascular fitness rather than a number on a scale.
  • nboks
    nboks Posts: 41
    Options
    I used to do back to back cardio but now that im one pound away from my goal, I changed up and focused on doing more weight/strength training to build muscles.

It's kinda disconcerting when people say that being too thin doesnt suit me since they're used to me being fat :(
  • kristina1709
    kristina1709 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have not changed my workout since I've been at goal. Only because I have a running goal of completing a half marathon in March 2014. Depending on my week I run anywhere from 3-4 days a week with a day of cross training in between.