Grocery store HORROR!!!!

Options

Replies

• HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is the grocery store one of the scariest places on earth when you are trying to change your lifestyle:huh:
    Went grocery shopping and all of the treats were up front , (IT"S FOOTBALL SUNDAY) all of the chips, candy, cakes, pies at BOGO, soda etc. Once I broke through the crowd of delicacies I proceeded to the produce area and what do I see? well, it was more cakes, pies, chips and dips!!!!!!!:explode: My heart starts to race, I started to question myself, I tried to bargain with the God to give me some wiggle room and I walked out with one of each item listed above in my bag. Once I started to drive off, my phone buzzed and I was getting a post from MFP. I happily turned my car around and went back to the store, This time when I walked out I had $23.13 more in my wallet:flowerforyou:

CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS OR HAVE I JUST LOST MY MIND?!
    WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Fantastic that you returned all that stuff! Proud of you! I've bought stuff like that before and then thrown it away.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is it me or is the grocery store one of the scariest places on earth when you are trying to change your lifestyle:huh:
    Went grocery shopping and all of the treats were up front , (IT"S FOOTBALL SUNDAY) all of the chips, candy, cakes, pies at BOGO, soda etc. Once I broke through the crowd of delicacies I proceeded to the produce area and what do I see? well, it was more cakes, pies, chips and dips!!!!!!!:explode: My heart starts to race, I started to question myself, I tried to bargain with the God to give me some wiggle room and I walked out with one of each item listed above in my bag. Once I started to drive off, my phone buzzed and I was getting a post from MFP. I happily turned my car around and went back to the store, This time when I walked out I had $23.13 more in my wallet:flowerforyou:

CAN ANYONE RELATE TO THIS OR HAVE I JUST LOST MY MIND?!
    WHAT'S THE DEAL?!

Fantastic that you returned all that stuff! Proud of you! I've bought stuff like that before and then thrown it away.

Friendly suggestion:

Instead of throwing it away, maybe you should think about donating it instead. :flowerforyou:
  • jecky74
    jecky74 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    You are strong girl!! Keep it up!! And don't forget to give yourself a treat once in a while.
  • bunnybutler29
    Options
    Wow that is some self control right there. That's what you call determination and will power. Yay for you..(:
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Since I've started MFP, I see chips and candy as too little bang for the caloric buck, y'know?

This! It's so true. Every time i see goodies in the office kitchen or some other type of temptation i think about how many calories it has and how i will no doubt be hungry soon after. SO not worth it!
  • Mandiereed
    Options
    I have a hard time too. My favorite was always pizza and that is located next to my essential cheese and yogurt.
  • tj1376
    tj1376 Posts: 1,402 Member
    Options
    I avoid the grocery store until there is absolutely no food in my house because I do the bargaining and rationalizing the whole way there, down every aisle and even after I have purchased things I know I shouldnt. Food shopping is evil.
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm one of the lucky ones I guess. For the record, I'm fully aware I'm a huge *kitten* for doing/thinking this way but at the end of the day it helps keep me in check so I'll continue to be that *kitten*.

My local grocery store is like beacon to every morbidly obese person within a 25 mile radius of it. Like the Indy 500 of fat scooter people. Now, I'm fully aware I shouldn't judge because I don't know the story behind any of these people. I'm sure maybe one out of the collection may have a full blown medical condition that causes them to be this way but I can't help myself since I've lost so much weight. I'm a silent judger. There I said it. I look at what's in overweight people's carts. It's much easier to pass on that case of dr. Pepper even though at one time it was my life blood. The only down side besides being a passive **** is that I sometimes want to initiate an epic high five to some fat people when I see they make good choices. Of course I can't because I would give myself away and still be considered a **** for checking what's in their cart...and making the connection with te fact that they are fat and making better choices. It also is hard to not want to smack their power cart stubby fingers when I see their carts full of slim fast then they reach for a snickers bar at checkout.

P.S. I'm fully aware I'm not the only one that does this so I know some of you are out there as well...reading this and staying silent.

Guilty as charged
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I make a list, I stick to that list. I walk into the grocery store and if the "junk" food isn't on my list I walk by it and don't even think of it.

Maybe its just me but you are an adult, if you have no self control when you walk into the grocery store what does the rest of your life look like?
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    They say to stick to the outline of the store: produce, grocers freezers, meat, dairy areas. Then strategically go get other necessities. Never go hungry.

this is one of the dumbest sayings that passes for profound around here...

if you only stick to the outside aisles of the grocery store, how are you going to find the toilet paper?!

tumblr_mbb4thhjWC1qih9gi.gif

:tongue:

Easy you go into their restrooms and raid them
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    These are the kinds of things you consider to be a horror?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time too. My favorite was always pizza and that is located next to my essential cheese and yogurt.

There's nothing wrong with pizza.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I don't have this issue at all. The only time it can be difficult is if I'm at a restaurant, parties or dining out with friends where I don't have complete control of my food choices.

The grocery store personally is the best place for me as I know exactly what I need to buy.

I walk right past the junk food aisle - I don't even want that crap as it doesn't even qualify as real food to me.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I can relate, not so much for myself but because it drives me nuts for my kids, who love potato chips. It's one thing to avoid the chips and candy aisle, but like you said they are everywhere in the store in various promo displays.

Since I've started MFP, I see chips and candy as too little bang for the caloric buck, y'know? Like, I can have a bag of chips and then nothing else all day, lol, or pass on them. I like that you returned your stuff - good on you - and its nice to get that money back and use it for something better!
    me too! I grab the chips/doritos/whatever. then i turn the bag over, read the label and say "nah, sooo not worth it"

GOod for you OP for returning the stuff!
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I make a list, I stick to that list. I walk into the grocery store and if the "junk" food isn't on my list I walk by it and don't even think of it.

Maybe its just me but you are an adult, if you have no self control when you walk into the grocery store what does the rest of your life look like?

This.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Depends on the grocery store. I go straight for produce first... I do not pass go, I do not collect $200... but every grocery store I go into (outside of Target and I don't know really know about Walmart since I rarely go in) has their produce right up in the front and maybe floral and the deli/bakery section... you don't see the junk food until you are well in the store.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Our sweets are on the same isle as low calorie food. The whole way down the aisle I am saying do not look at the yummy white donuts, do not look at the Mrs Bairds cherry pies. lol
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Good for you! And you are very observant...they set the stores up like that for a reason so you are tempted to buy crap. Big Food does better financially if we remain fat and eat low nutrition food that is cheap for them to produce. Stick it to the man, keep the money in YOUR wallet and shed the extra pounds!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Awesome job for returning it all. Once I buy it, it's the end.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    The way that I eat has improved my health so drastically that I am no longer tempted by the kinds of food that would make me sick/fat again. No, not even tempted a little. True story. I'm sure that other people can eat anything they want and have the "willpower" to control portions and I accept that they choose to eat those foods. However, I just don't want to eat junk food so I don't.