LIFTING PLEASE READ!

Options
Ok so I want to know, how much it to much and how much is not enough.
This is my lifting routine.

3sets 9reps of each

10lb dumbbells are being used

Lying tricep extension
Lying chest press
Standing lateral raise
Bicep curls
Bent over rows

I do other things for cardio. But like I said LIFTING... I want to know what is to much and what is not enought.
So I can get quicker results I that's even possible. And I'm at a cal def too so.

Thanks!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    What other equipment do you have? How often are you doing these exercises? What are you goals? Any other workouts?
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    If you're not struggling to get in the last rep on an exercise, you should go up in weight. Otherwise, you're not really building any strength (lean muscle). I'm guessing you have no problem with the chest press and bent over rows and could double or triple the weight you use on those exercises.
  • heyjay31
    heyjay31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Can you do more than 9 reps but stop at 9, if so it won't do much for you. If reps 7-9 are difficult with good form than that would be a good rep range.

That said, I suggest you look at the book starting strength or new rules of lifting
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    ^^Yep. I was gonna say if you're getting to the end of your set and failing, then you're pretty much where you need to be. Hopefully you have some other weights to move up to...and maybe a more comprehensive plan. :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into a structured, progressive program like Strong Lifts or New Rules of Lifting.
  • MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Yes the last few reps should be challenging and burning! If you arent feeling a burn on the last few, you may need to go up a bit.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Tricep extensions and bicep curls can be a waste of time.

What about shoulders? You only have one back exercise there. What about legs?

What are your goals?

Why 9 reps? You can get more out of less with heavier weights, and compound lifts instead of isolation lifts.

I second reading the book The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    If you struggle to get the last 2 reps in, in a 10-12 rep set, then you are using the correct weight for that exercise

^^ THIS ^^ EXACTLY!!
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Do you have legs? You need to work all of you body

For example

Rear foot elevated Dumbell split squat
    Goblet squats
    Dumbell lunges
    Dumbell thrusters
    Dumbell bent over rows
    Overhead press

Google all of those
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would try for 3 sets of 12, then if you can do that easily up the weight by 5 lbs. Keep doing this until you can barely finish the last set, then you know you're doing the right amount. What are you goals? Where are you physically [weight/height]? It's hard to say what you should be doing when we don't know anything about you.

You may not gain too much strength if you're eating at deficit, it's almost impossible to gain muscle while losing weight. I'd say once you get to your goal weight eat more and then really start trying to lift more, that's when you'll really start gaining muscle and getting stronger.

Also, I'd suggest trying to do squats. Work on bodyweight ones with really good form [heels down, going up and down clean and evenly] until you can do 3 sets of 20, then start adding weight if you want.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong, but it seems odd that you're using the same weight for all of those exercises. I can do a heck of a lot more on a row or press than I can on a tricep extension.

I agree with others that if your goal is to build muscle or increase strength, I would look into Strong Lift or New Rules of Lifting for Women, which both incorporate compound lifts and have you moving your weight up regularly.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I agree that compound moves at this stage would be far more beneficial than isolation moves on tiny muscles such as triceps.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Tricep extensions and bicep curls can be a waste of time.

wut

Yup. If you do full body compound lifts the triceps and biceps should get enough work from those (Rows, and presses). They are good if you are body building, or to correct a possible weakness.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts will better serve you for an all over body workout at a smaller rep range... do you have access to a gym?

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/The_Starting_Strength_Novice/Beginner_Programs
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/850719-strength-training-the-basics
    So, I thought I would do a thread on the basics of strength training. It is not intended to be comprehensive, nor is it intended to imply that one form of exercise is better than another. It is purely intended to help those get familiar with the basic concepts and terminology of strength training.

What is strength training?

Well, it is intended to make you strong…yep, pretty obvious. However, there are a few terms that are used interchangeably in everyday use but they really have slightly different meanings such as resistance training and weight training. I will be using the generic term of strength training here to encompass them.

Strength training is a means of stimulating the development and improvement of muscle strength by increasing the ability to resist force through the use of, inter alia, free weights, machines and your own body weight. Strength training is primarily an anaerobic activity.

Benefits of strength training.

When properly performed, strength training can provide significant functional benefits and improvement in overall health, including increased bone, muscle, tendon and ligament strength, increased bone density, increased metabolism, improved body composition and generally making you feel like a badass.

Compound and isolation lifts

Compound lifts utilize more than one joint and as such work several muscle groups at once. For example, squats require the use of the hip, knee and ankle joints. It works a host of muscle groups but primarily glutes, quads and core.

An isolation exercise is one where the movement uses only one joint, such as leg extensions.

Both have their place, however, due to the fact that you are using a number of muscle groups for compound lifts, these often form the foundation of a majority of lifting programs.

Rep ranges

Different rep ranges cause a different type of stress on the body and it reacts differently to each.

The lower rep range (1 – 5) causes neurological adaptations, which is your body developing its ability to activate muscle fibers by increasing the frequency of neural impulses sent to the brain as well as improving intra- and inter-muscle coordination. Basically it makes you stronger but does has a lesser impact to your muscle mass.

The mid rep range (6 – 12) the impact is more on the metabolic and cellular level where you gain muscle mass but strength gains are not as significant as you would get in the lower rep ranges. This is the general rep range for hypertrophy, or mass gains.

The higher rep ranges (13+) stimulate muscle endurance primarily with only a small amount of hypertrophy and very little strength and as such is not considered strength training in the strict sense of the word.

Note, that there is no hard and fast line between the effects of the above, but rather a continuum. Also, the number of sets plays into how much is strength v hypertrophy v endurance. For example, you can do 5 sets of 6 reps for a total of 30 lifts, or you can do 10 sets of 3 lifts for a total of 30 lifts. If you do them to an equivalent level of failure, the time under tension will be the same. The number of sets does not automatically turn it from strength to hypertrophy due to the rest periods between sets, but it does have a bearing on where in the continuum the routine lies.

So, in summary:
    1 – 5 reps = strength
    6 – 12 reps = hypertrophy
    12+ = endurance

So, the appropriate rep ranges really depend on your goals as well as your overall lifting program. Most ‘standard’ programs focus on the upper end of the strength range so benefits of both strength and some hypertrophy are gained.

Some tips:

- Form is of importance all the time. Do not push to increase weights if your form is not good.

- Warm up your muscles before lifting by doing a short amount of cardio (less than 10 minutes). Stretching is not required and should not be done ‘cold’ in any event.

- When you get to lifting heavier weights, with the compound lifts, make sure you do sufficient warm up sets.

- If you want to do cardio in the same session, do it after lifting.

- Put the ‘big’ lifts (heavier strength range compounds) at the beginning of your session.