What foods/drinks/habits have you given up for your 'diet'?

Options

Replies

• NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Only those that are "NOT WORTH IT".

For example, I will eat my most favorite cakes (like lady M crepe cake) but I've given up those I enjoy much less.
    A cake has to be among the best few to make the cut. Otherwise, I will pass and get the one I enjoy the most later.

So you can say I've given up most pastries, donuts, milkshakes, because they are just not as good as the best version of them (even though I would enjoy them on their own) but I don't see it that way. I always ask myself "Will I enjoy this more than ... insert favorite food here..."

Same goes for pizza. If I allow myself a cheat meal of pizza, I will go to the best place and get the highest enjoyment pizza (far and hard to get to). I've given up lunch break pizza.

If I want Korean BBQ, I will drive to Korean town once a month and get it from my favorite place.

I've given up anything less than "the best" when it comes to many foods.
  • loveanddestroyx
    loveanddestroyx Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I didn't plan on giving anything up, I planned on cutting down. I used to drink 1-2 sodas a day, then I would drink one every 3 days, then one every 5 days, now I don't want it. I have to force myself to finish one, or just give it to someone else to finish for me. I don't crave it how I used to. I now drink water, sometimes sparkling water or juice.
    (Cutting down on soda has helped my blood sugar IMMENSELY. Which is great for me since I am a diabetic.)

I also stopped eating so much Taco Bell, but I do treat myself to it every now and then :)
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything for my "diet". What I eat is always in a state of transition anyway whether I am trying to lose weight or not. Right now I am obsessed with waffles, next month I might become obsessed with something else or just go back to eating oatmeal every morning for breakfast when it is consistently cool in the morning. Anyway I tend to adopt a menu and eat what's on that for months at a time then I will change it up occasionally and then things get added and things get dropped.

So, what has changed that I can point to and say I am doing this to lose weight is the amount of calories I am consuming. And that is a change from eating a 1000 calorie breakfast, lunch, and dinner, plus a maybe 500 calorie snack. That change happened when I started eating more fiber. I noticed I was starting to eat a lot less. About 4 months after that change I started eating a bit more protein.

The habit I have given up is just sitting around all day long. I don't think of that as giving up a habit though it's more of a I am moving more because movement begets movement once you get started on that. It took a couple of months but I am gradually adding to my endurance and ability to move for longer periods of time.

I think my inner dialogue has changed as well. I have gone from "what's the use of trying?" to "what have you done today to get closer to your goals?" That has been a tremendous help in helping me stay focused on my weight loss goals as well as my life goals.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I have a LOT of trigger foods. Don't know if I'll ever be able to eat them in moderation. I have to be in the right mind set to do that.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Since late July:
    All soft drinks, including soda, tea, and slushies (yummm on the slushies. I drank soda and tea everyday since I was a teenager. SMH. And, I'm from the South, so I put tonnnns of sugar in my tea. My poor body)

Since mid-August:
    Just drinking plain water

Haha! I live in KY now, and boy do these ppl like their sweet tea! lol. I make my own tea and only use about 1/4 c AGAVE nectar. I rarely drink soda, except as a treat (sad huh?)

One thing I "gave up" actually is smoking. I miss it, but I don't miss feeling tired all the time from it.
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Bread, all rice, they're just fillers to me nothing more. I'd rather get my fiber from greens.

Soda. I can't believe I used to drink that stuff everyday.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    I haven't given up any foods. I have chosen to earn my calories through exercise so I can indulge when and if I want. I have no forbidden foods, I just know that if I want X, Y or Z it comes at a cost. For me I always knew I couldn't live my life depriving myself but I also knew I had the strength of mind to earn my calories before eating.

In general I know what's healthy and what's not so healthy, however if I crave a burger, a piece of cake or soda for example then I have it BUT I also know that means I'm skipping (jumping rope) today to counterbalance that choice. If I don't burn those excessive cals I know the cost is excessive body fat. So 90% of the time the cost reward conundrum keeps me focused. It works for me but won't for everyone!
  • BIRD0
    BIRD0 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I gave up laziness and over-eating.

Coincidentally, not related to weight loss, I've given up compulsively shopping and the cloud of depression that has hung over my head for 15 years. Exercise really does help, I suppose!
  • omsmom12
    omsmom12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've given up drinks with calories (for the most part), and most carbs (except for legumes, occasional sweet potatoes or yams, and the very, very rare indulgence). I do this to control my blood sugar and prevent full-blown Type II diabetes after having gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my twins.

Amazingly, I struggled to lose weight before my pregnancy while I was strictly adhering to a 1600-calorie high carb low fat diet. After switching to a 1600-calorie high fat low carb diet, the weight began to fly off. My body is insulin resistant and I have PCOS. This diet kind of flipped the switch for me. (Guess we all have to figure out what works for us.)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I gave up most junk food about 12 years ago.

I promptly lost 20-25LBS and have kept it off.

Best decision I ever made.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    No heavy eating after 8pm.

I'm always curious about this particular choice. I have heard a lot of people say that it's bad for you to eat after ___, in connection with health or weight loss. However, I've never seen any actual scientific information to back that claim. Is there any?

I understand that some people might choose not to because they don't like the feeling of going to bed full. Or because they get cold if they eat before bed. Or because they are like my friend who always has nightmares if she eats (specifically) dairy before bed, the reason for which I have no idea. Or because they don't want to mindlessly eat while watching TV in the evening. I saw something once saying that if you cut off your food intake well before bedtime and then count sleep time, it means more hours of the day when you can avoid food - which is obviously unnecessary if you're making healthy choices in the first place. Food is my friend - I don't want to avoid it. lol

I don't know the reasoning for making a distinction and certainly it's each individual's choice and probably not harmful, so whatever. Just I'm just always curious about what people are thinking when this comes up.

As for me, I tend to make sure I have more calories available for later in the day, just because that's when I know I'll want them the most and when unexpected things with friends are more likely to come up for me. So I would eat pretty much anything that fit my day, my calories, to some extent my macros (usually with the exception of sodium), my overall goals, and my tastes. There isn't really a distinction for me there regarding the time of day.
  • Embera
    Embera Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    i dont really get rid of anything i just try and buy better stuff like there is a few bags of chips in the house instead of those im eating the trail mix i made or an apple and peanut butter
  • Resa001
    Resa001 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For the past month...

I have everything I had before, but in moderation.
    I eat less (waaaay less) fast food.
    I eat less refined sugars and processed foods.
    I eat less fried foods (particularly my downfall, french fries).
    I eat more whole grains.
    I cook more at home.
    I pack lunches far more often.
    Oh, and I try to take a walk every day as a minimum for exercise. That's often the most I can pull off, but it has definitely helped me.

I've lost 5 lbs. My goal was to lose 10, so I'm 1/2 way there.

My husband cut out having sugary cereal and coca cola every day and started playing hockey. He lost 35 lbs within 4 months and has kept it off for a year. The rest of his eating habits have stayed mostly the same. Those sweetened drinks make a huge difference!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    No heavy eating after 8pm.

I'm always curious about this particular choice. I have heard a lot of people say that it's bad for you to eat after ___, in connection with health or weight loss. However, I've never seen any actual scientific information to back that claim. Is there any?

I understand that some people might choose not to because they don't like the feeling of going to bed full. Or because they get cold if they eat before bed. Or because they are like my friend who always has nightmares if she eats (specifically) dairy before bed, the reason for which I have no idea. Or because they don't want to mindlessly eat while watching TV in the evening. I saw something once saying that if you cut off your food intake well before bedtime and then count sleep time, it means more hours of the day when you can avoid food - which is obviously unnecessary if you're making healthy choices in the first place. Food is my friend - I don't want to avoid it. lol

I don't know the reasoning for making a distinction and certainly it's each individual's choice and probably not harmful, so whatever. Just I'm just always curious about what people are thinking when this comes up.

As for me, I tend to make sure I have more calories available for later in the day, just because that's when I know I'll want them the most and when unexpected things with friends are more likely to come up for me. So I would eat pretty much anything that fit my day, my calories, to some extent my macros (usually with the exception of sodium), my overall goals, and my tastes. There isn't really a distinction for me there regarding the time of day.

There is no reason to not eat in the evenings unless you're fasting the following day or as part of any other fasting regime.
    If you're on a daily calorie restriction, meal timing does NOT matter.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I do not like it when people say they habe not given up anything. If we did not make changes, we would stay the same. Personally, I gave up sodas, milkshakes, cheese danishes, blizzards, big macs, and iced sweet tea. I know tea is healthy, but not if you have to add lots of sugar to tolerate it. I gave up big portions. I gave up eating the whole bag of chips for a snack. I made swaps. Instead of eating spaghetti made with regular noodles, sauce made with ground beef and pork, and breadsticks on the side, I now eat spaghetti made with whole wheat noodles, sauce made with lean deer meat or ground turkey, and a salad on the side. I also gave up my sedentary lifestyle, and I am constantly moving. I have given up the old me for a new me!

Don't confuse changing your habits (thats not what the OP asked) with giving up foods. I will not stick to a regime that requires I never eat a cheeseburger again. Believe me, I've tried.

I too have given up eating a plateful of spaghetti. I still eat exactly the same spaghetti because I LOVE it. I just have half a plate with half a plate of salad. That is NOT what the OP asked, though.
  • AllyCatXandi
    AllyCatXandi Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I haven't 'given up' anything really. But knowing what's in certain foods makes me reconsider whether I really want it or not before I take a bite. For instance, I've never been a huge fan of the cheese. But if it was there, I'd eat it because it was and no other reason. Same with fruit juice, donuts, white potato, and jam-filled biscuits.

So basically, I've quit the habit of eating things that I won't actually enjoy eating.

If I loved any of the above foods the way I do chocolate, I'd make room for them in my diary. But I don't, so...*shrugs*

Edit: I've also given up eating entire MEALS as a 'snack', haha :laugh:
  • stauver
    stauver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's very little I have actually "given up". But I am (re-) learning that it's just not worth going overboard on things I know aren't in line with what I'm trying to do. The one thing I am firmly trying to stay away from is chocolate. Between the caffeine and sugar high and then the let down, it ruins my life and gets on the addiction track all too quickly. Otherwise, I stick pretty close to quasi-vegan eating and am getting happier by the day! :)
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything totally, but I have cut down a ton on bread, sugar, soda. Other than that, if it's in moderation and it fits within my calories, I'll have it.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Any type of Diet coke.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything totally, but I have cut down a ton on bread, sugar, soda. Other than that, if it's in moderation and it fits within my calories, I'll have it.
    Sounds like it's going well! Nice loss!