What foods/drinks/habits have you given up for your 'diet'?

Options

Replies

• 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    For my life change I gave up meat, sugar and laziness
  • Daws387
    Daws387 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't drink alcohol nearly as much as I used to. And when I do I usually have like a rum & diet coke or shots of liquor...or light beer. No more LI iced tea or margaritas for me :(

I also don't eat wings and nachos as much (only in moderation)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I've given up giving up on anything.

I have totally relaxed into being me.

If I want it, I have it.

I trust myself not to have too much of it if I wish to continue to make fat loss progress.

And if I waver, that's OK too, I'm good.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I haven't really given up things entirely, but I've made a lot of trades and some adjustments:

- water for nearly any other caloric beverage
    - natural sugars versus sugary desserts (i.e. more fruit, less sugary pastries, etc)
    - cut way back on red meat (personal preference)
    - way more plant-based diet
    - whole wheat, quinoa, bulgur for processed grains

I still eat foods that are less nutritionally good for you occasionally, but after my body adjusted to eating better foods, the junk foods just made me feel sick, so I naturally stayed away from them.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I cut out processed, sugary foods & drinks almost completely. And I'd say that I've given up fast food, but I never really ate a lot of that, anyway.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Shop-bought cakes and pastries. They never tasted as good as they looked, and I look at in terms of my calorie budget. (I'm an accountant, so that probably explains it...) Why eat something that's high in calories and doesn't taste so good when there's plenty of alternatives?

Homemade cakes, on the other hand? Bring them on!

Oh, and I've also tried to give up the habit of low-fat diet alternatives. Again, they don't taste as good as the real thing, as still packed with calories from the sugar and consequently don't fill me up as much as something with a little more fat. It's hard though - I dieted through the late eighties and nineties, when low-fat and fat-free was the only way to diet.
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people have said, I don't believe in totally giving things up. But I have cut way, way back on alcohol, chocolate, baked goods, and fried foods. Oh, and I quit putting mayonnaise on my sandwiches -- much as I love it, it's not 100 calories yummier than mustard.

I'm also eating out less often, both to save money and to avoid temptation.

I had a pretty decent base diet before I started trying to lose weight -- I'd been more or less maintaining for years. So mostly I'm just giving up the "extra" stuff I already knew wasn't good for me, like that afternoon trip to the vending machine for a bag of Doritos. Turns out I don't really miss any of it as much as I thought I would.
  • julianadelbosque
    Options
    I haven't necessarily given up anything, but I've scaled back and learned portion sizes, especially for things like pasta and rice that I LOVE. I stick very rigidly to those portion sizes and I still manage to be satisfied.

I was lucky in the regard that my parents didn't let us drink soda, so the only things I drink anyway are water and coffee. Probably too much coffee recently, but it's not a major concern. Overall, I use healthier/lower fat items instead of full fat/calorie - fat free half and half in my coffee, egg whites instead of whole eggs for the most part, and I've made my own turkey burgers a few times. And Skinny Cow ice cream!

The biggest thing I've given up is the convenience - I have almost nothing in my house that I can just pop into the microwave and go for a quick meal. Nothing in my freezer besides chicken and frozen vegetables. I have a couple of cans of soup, but I'm pretty sure that's it. But I love cooking, so it generally doesn't bother me. Every so often I'm exhausted and don't want to spend time cooking, so I will make a piece of cheese toast (100 cal total) and see if I have more energy in 20 minutes after eating.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I give things up for 30 days or so- but then I add them back in as I see fit. I have found while I can ABSOLUTELY live on minimal pasta/bread and other things that while I CAN go without- I am not happy without them. (I just don't eat it unless we are out to dinner and the bread is amazaballs) and I never eat pasta any more (only because I dont' want to - not because it's "my diet")... so I do it for the challenge- then add things back in as a see fit.

So I'm fairly low on actual processed breads- but I drink beer- and indulge for dinner on bread- I do not go without my ice cream. HELL NO.

So I rarely truly give up something- I give it up for self discipline purposes- or to see if it's affecting my system- but I never give it up for forever.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    nothing!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have given up nothing as far as food/drink...

Habits...sitting on my butt all night...eating too much of anything

Made new habits though...exercise and shopping for new jeans...and bikinis
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Nothing actually. For the sake of my sanity and the protection of those around me, it's best for me to not give up things I like.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I gave up foods that I don't really like. I was never crazy about soda, chips, or popcorn, so I don't eat them, even if they're there. I try to spend every calorie I've got on something that tastes good to me.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Candy bars. I'll go for a protein bar instead.

Mostly, I've just cut down on portion sizes. And I try to limit eating out to just once a week.

I've also found that I'm pickier on the quality of my "cheat" foods. If I'm going to splurge and eat pizza, it had better be damn good pizza!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower.
    Actually that's a lie, I've always thought it's absolutely gross.

I eat differently (salad more frequently, more lean protein, more fish, less snacks, bread less often) but haven't given up anything.
    Exclusion of things you like isn't the way to make a change of diet sustainable IMHO.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Double post - good old MFP....
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing.

Same here :)
    Ditto
  • evilscotsman83
    evilscotsman83 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bread and Beer :(
  • Gracie1214
    Gracie1214 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    none yet !!
  • mtbVegan
    mtbVegan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Soda, unless it's all natural and sweetened with real sugar. Its a treat for me.

Anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup, Partially Hydrogenated Oils, and all Alcohol.