Weigh lifting for women

Hi

What weight lifting program do you ladies do? I have been told about 5x5 stronglifts but this seems hardcore, then there is the the new rules of lifting for women but its a little complicated. I just wondered if there are any tried and tested simple programs that I could try that aren't too intimidating and won't "add 25lbs of muscle"

I'm not losing anything with just cardio so really need to incorporate weights.

Thanks in advance
Jit

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    I do StrongLifts 5x5. There's an excellent group here for women doing the program. I find it simple, in that there are only 5 exercises in a set rotation (Workout A & B). I don't progress at the rate he wants you to in the program, definitely had to adjust for my abilities. I've had excellent strength gains and love it.
  • Jit7
    Jit7 Posts: 75
    Thanks for your reply. It seems to be working for you - congrats on losing 56lbs!!!

I found the PDF online and it aimed at guys which did put me off. I will try to find the women's thread on here
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Read the summary there. Really helps trim the program to the core without wading through that whole PDF (and reading the sexist crap he writes).
  • Jit7
    I was just being flippant about the "add 25lbs of muscle" comment - I know that wouldn't happen over night.

Thanks for the link. I've just joined the group which summarises it nicely. Definitely easier than reading the PDF
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    I don't do a program anymore (I used to do CLX), but my friend is a pt and she writes me up a workout every day. For instance, today was legs, there were 5-6 exercises. Tomorrow is chest/back, etc. I've been working with her for about 4 weeks so far, and I've lost weight.
    Stronglifts/5x5 sounds pretty intriguing!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    The same program that works for a man. You are not just going to accidentally "put on 25 lbs on muscle" That's take people years of hard work and dedication.

This. You won't add much muscle at all in a deficit anyway, whether male or female, and it will stop after you get your "newbie gains."

Lately I have had the most success on Wendler's 5/3/1. I also like Tom Venuto's TNB workout, but I modified it a little from the way it is written.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    in b4 stronglifts plug. oops too late
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    I do the same program as guys do.
  • Sarauk2sf

Do you have a routine that you would recommend then?
  • Mrsallypants

I mentioned quite a few recently in some of my previous very recent posts, search my history.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member

LOL, that and NROLW get recommended in nearly every lifting thread. There's nothing wrong with either program and actually they are great programs...but I get where you are coming from by posting this.
  • Sarauk2sf

I mentioned quite a few recently in some of my previous very recent posts, search my history.

Edit: I did look - not seeing a recommendation..but I did see SL mentioned
  • Jit7
    Thanks all - I will take a look at the other programs mentioned.

I had asked a PT for a program but it was light weight and high repitition. I got so bored of it though. He didn't really want me to add much weight on which is the total opposite to what I've been reading. I did feel I was getting a little stronger but not greatly different tbh. I have also done body pump in the past which I enjoyed but I have pathetic arms so struggled with quite a lot of it and couldn't keep up with the rest of the class.

Thanks for the suggestions
  • Mrsallypants

I mentioned stronglifts along with many other programs and lifting styles.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Here you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Read the summary there. Really helps trim the program to the core without wading through that whole PDF (and reading the sexist crap he writes).

And this is the problem with StrongLifts. Most of the practitioners fail to read.
  • Mrsallypants

LOL, that and NROLW get recommended in nearly every lifting thread. There's nothing wrong with either program and actually they are great programs...but I get where you are coming from by posting this.

It's a great program if you like squatting heavy three times a week which I don't, but to each their own. 5/3/1 doesn't burn me out quickly like Stronglifts which allows my joints, tendons, ligaments, and other little things to recover; I also like reserving all of my energy for deadlifts.

To learn the exercises properly, you could try buying the book "Starting Strength." The book is pretty in depth and technical which is off putting; I think Medhi (creator of Stronglifts) has a lot of videos on Youtube showing form on the SL exercises. Form is extremely important, without it you will succumb to great peril
  • Sarauk2sf

I mentioned stronglifts along with many other programs and lifting styles.

Agreed. However, many are not that appropriate for brand new lifters, so it would be confusing to the OP. They are solid programs however.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Hi

What weight lifting program do you ladies do? I have been told about 5x5 stronglifts but this seems hardcore, then there is the the new rules of lifting for women but its a little complicated. I just wondered if there are any tried and tested simple programs that I could try that aren't too intimidating and won't "add 25lbs of muscle"

I'm not losing anything with just cardio so really need to incorporate weights.

Thanks in advance
    Jit
    I'm a guy and I started stronglifts 5x5 (from never having done any strength training before) back in December. I'm now squatting over 300 lbs and way stronger than I've ever been in my life, but I have not added any muscle yet because I've been eating at a net deficit over that time period. You aren't going to add 25 lbs of muscle (especially as a woman) unless you have a lot of food and a lot of hormones, or are a genetic freak.
  • Sarauk2sf
    One program that I think is pretty good is AllPro.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1

I would advise to get and read Starting Strength for technique and form. However, I would lean towards AllPro or Stronglifts for the actual program. I actually prefer AllPro for a new lifter, however, Stronglifts has more people doing it on here and has more explanation and support and as such may be a better choice.

At the end of the day, as a new lifter, any program that is solid, like the ones mentioned, will be extremely beneficial. Just pick one, learn form and technique and enjoy.