Calorie shocker!

Options

Replies

• HYama
    HYama Posts: 11
    Options
    I was shocked to learn that eggs don't actually have many calories, what one adds to the eggs can stack up the calories.
  • Houmus scared me, for three weeks I've been starving eating celery and houmus at work before going home and having my usual meal and a half bottle of wine and I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight only, a friend out me onto this sight for me to realize the houmus has as much calories as 3 mars bars - whilst I'm well aware the mars bar is a lot less healthy I think I'd have been much happier eating those for three weeks!!!
    I'm now attempting 1 poached egg on dry brown toast for breakfast and a yoghurt for lunch allowing me to still eat the evening meal and wine, dieting at home and trying to cook three meals (1 for me, 1 for boyfriend and 1 for kids) just isn't happening!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't eat muffins! 400-800 calories for a muffin. You could eat 3 or 4 cookies for 800 calories.

Make them yourself. I have made Banana Protein Muffins for 75 calories per before.
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    It's never the calorie count that shocks me. It's the sodium.

Seriously!
  • jackiecamarena
    jackiecamarena Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Houmus scared me, for three weeks I've been starving eating celery and houmus at work before going home and having my usual meal and a half bottle of wine and I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight only, a friend out me onto this sight for me to realize the houmus has as much calories as 3 mars bars - whilst I'm well aware the mars bar is a lot less healthy I think I'd have been much happier eating those for three weeks!!!
    I'm now attempting 1 poached egg on dry brown toast for breakfast and a yoghurt for lunch allowing me to still eat the evening meal and wine, dieting at home and trying to cook three meals (1 for me, 1 for boyfriend and 1 for kids) just isn't happening!

You sure it's not that half bottle of wine?
    I eat hummus pretty regularly and two tablespoons only comes out to 60-70 calories.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Houmus scared me, for three weeks I've been starving eating celery and houmus at work before going home and having my usual meal and a half bottle of wine and I couldn't understand why I was gaining weight only, a friend out me onto this sight for me to realize the houmus has as much calories as 3 mars bars - whilst I'm well aware the mars bar is a lot less healthy I think I'd have been much happier eating those for three weeks!!!

Hummus is actually low in calorie. I have seen some as little as 35 calories a serving before. The highest calorie hummus I have seen was a packaged one and that was still only about 70 calories a serving. Sounds to me like you were eating 8 servings in one go (which would be about 270 calories). The average -SERVING- of hummus is only 2 tablespoons. This is like complaining that an entire pizza has 1200 calories when an actual serving is only 200.

Also, you can cook healthy things so you don't have to cook "three" meals. There are plenty of recipes for healthier kid friendly things, like Lightened Up Lasagna or Healthier Mac and Cheese, you just have to research and find things you think your family would like.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    My biggest shock came one morning that i had to go to the office early on a Sunday... i fell into my old habit of going through the McDonald's drive-thru and ordered a sausage mcmuffin w/ egg, hash browns and a small iced coffee... over 900 calories when i logged it.

That was over half my alotted calories for the day! And i used to eat that nearly every morning!

To me, that's the greatest benefit to logging.
  • courtneyeloise98
    Options
    but eggs are still healthy so it doesnt matter if they have heaps of calories, like 1 egg is about 150 calories right?
    so even if you are for example making a 3 egg omlette that would be 450 calories, buts it better to eat the omlette than a 300 calorie chocolate bar even though the bar has less cals. :)
  • rduhlir
    Options

You sure it's not that half bottle of wine?
    I eat hummus pretty regularly and two tablespoons only comes out to 60-70 calories.
    Especially considering that just one 5oz serving of Merlot is 122 calories.
  • courtneyeloise98
    Options

Hummus is actually low in calorie. I have seen some as little as 35 calories a serving before. The highest calorie hummus I have seen was a packaged one and that was still only about 70 calories a serving. Sounds to me like you were eating 8 servings in one go (which would be about 270 calories). The average -SERVING- of hummus is only 2 tablespoons. This is like complaining that an entire pizza has 1200 calories when an actual serving is only 200.

Also, you can cook healthy things so you don't have to cook "three" meals. There are plenty of recipes for healthier kid friendly things, like Lightened Up Lasagna or Healthier Mac and Cheese, you just have to research and find things you think your family would like.

don't know about you but i wouldn't be able to stick to just 2 tablespoons of hommus! overall its healthy so it doesnt matter if its got lots of calories, its just chickpeas which is full of nutrients
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Orange juice. All the way! I was totally shocked. Even eggs I was shocked, jsut becuase I thought they were less calories. Cheese too.

A whole egg is only 70 calories
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Indeed. The first shock was orange juice. I started to eat an orange while drinking water at breakfast and found it satisfying. Then, Gatorade G2 : I thought there was 20 calories in a bottle but no, it is more 60! I was shocked!
  • rduhlir
    Options

don't know about you but i wouldn't be able to stick to just 2 tablespoons of hommus! overall its healthy so it doesnt matter if its got lots of calories, its just chickpeas which is full of nutrients

I use it as a snack for at work so I only take 1 serving with me, so I usually stick to one serving pretty easily.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I don't do Humus, but you have to look at them like nuts and anything else for that matter.

I love nuts, but they are caloricaly dense....so if you are not careful you have eaten 600+ calories.

So be careful with anything you eat....and starving yourself is not the way to go.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Indeed. The first shock was orange juice. I started to eat an orange while drinking water at breakfast and found it satisfying. Then, Gatorade G2 : I thought there was 20 calories in a bottle but no, it is more 60! I was shocked!

G2 is still better than normal Gatorade, which is twice the calories. The thing about G2 is the sodium. It is a sports drink designed to replenish electrolytes, so it is higher in sodium because of that. But honestly, unless you are drinking like 5 bottles a day, I don't understand why something only 60 calories would be a bother.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I remember onions really shocked me when I first started. Most recently I was shocked by the fresh dates I ate and then counted afterwards ooops
  • rduhlir
    Options

I don't do Humus, but you have to look at them like nuts and anything else for that matter.

I love nuts, but they are caloricaly dense....so if you are not careful you have eaten 600+ calories.

So be careful with anything you eat....and starving yourself is not the way to go.

Well legumes are calorie dense anyway, simply because of how much nutrients they pack in just one bean or nut. People forget though, to look at the whole picture and immediately will toss something simply because of the calories. Eggs are a big one I see on this thread. Yes, it is 70 calories for a whole egg, but there is also 6g of protein, Omega-3, Omega-6, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Calcium, Zinc, Magnesium. They are basically just calorie dense vitamin packs to me!
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....

If 70 calories scare you....
    Then boil the egg, toss the yolk and enjoy ~20 calories of pure protein goodness (~6 gr)
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I love taking 1 and 1/2 cup of egg whites, and throwing in spinach, tomatoes, onions and peppers.....cheese

Its great.
  • rduhlir
    Options
    Eggs are awesome....

If 70 calories scare you....
    Then boil the egg, toss the yolk and enjoy ~20 calories of pure protein goodness (~6 gr)

Actually it would be 3g of protein, the yoke carries half.