Any exercise fitness gurus? Really gross belly pics*WARNED

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    See a mental health professional to work on how you see yourself? You are lovely and your abdomen is not, in ANY WAY, gross.

Aside from that -- you can't spot reduce fat. My non-expert suggestion is to eat at a very small deficit (.5 a week) and lift..

How is that not gross? I have NO BELLY BUTTON!!!
    How many of these do you see on the beach?

Oh and I cant afford a mental health professional lol.

I think lifting is what is calling me, this post wasn't supposed to be about my stomach, but I was just warning ahead. lol

It's not gross because it is EXTREMELY common stomach to have post pregnancy. And I have seen MANY women with those kinds of stomachs. Many. Here's a website you might find useful (warning there is nudity and it is NSFW): http://theshapeofamother.com/

Wanting to improve an area of your body is one thing, but thinking any part of you is "gross" is worrisome because it sounds like self-loathing, which usually isn't a healthy motivator for change.
  • Meg_Shirley_86
    Meg_Shirley_86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful! I am confident that most people look better with their clothes on anyway :) It Works has an AMAZING body applicator that you can apply right to your problem area. It tightens, tones, and firms the skin. I have seen unbelievable results on the post pregnancy belly. You have done all the hard work on your own. These wraps just help when exercise can no longer "fix" what you want fixed. Please check it out at greenandlean.myitworks.com
    Please don't fall for this. It does work, but it's very very temporary. It's basically Preparation H and Saran Wrap.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Oh, one other thing. You CANNOT look like a she-hulk. Seriously. Women who have a physique like that do it deliberately. For whatever reason, it is something they want, and they diet down to sub-10% body fat, they do extremely heavy lifting workouts, and they often take steroids. Women are not capable of just throwing on muscle the way men do, and even a man who has that kind of definition is working his butt off to get it. It cannot happen to ANYONE, especially a female, by accident. Avoiding weight lifting because you don't want to "accidentally" get ripped is like avoiding jogging because you have a fear of "accidentally" winning the New York Marathon. It ain't gonna happen. You'll have PLENTY of signs along the way warning you. :)

QFT
  • chelseaisabella
    Options
    Do you know what I think?

You're beautiful!!

Your body is great. You're right, you do have a good butt... And I say that in a non-pervy way!

If you want to tone some of your more disliked areas then swimming and cycling could be some more fun alternatives. Crunches and squats at home and maybe some Zumba? :)
  • kc7175
    Options
    I gained and lost 70 pounds twice in 2.5 years after the births of my 2 children.

My stomach looked exactly like yours when I lost all my weight the second time.

I tried low calorie dieting and tons of cardio, all that did was get me super skinny (down to 100 pounds) but flabby and what looked like loose skin.

Then I smartened up, started eating more and lifting heavy 3-4 times a week, and now years later my body looks better than ever. I weigh 10 pounds more than my lowest, but my body fat is WAY lower, and my body is tight, and that tummy flabbiness is all but gone, along with the cellulite on the back on my thighs and butt.

My advice? Stop wasting your time on the Shred, and other high rep/cardio based activities, eat more, and lift heavy weights. Within a year or two of doing this, everything got better and firmer. I'm also in way better shape all together. I hardly do any "ab" exercises, I depend on my eating and my lifting for this, and I have a visible 4 pack and the stomach definition (lines) too.

This ^^^^^
    You'll see the changes in your upper body first.
    The rest will follow.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You are a beautiful lady. The tummy isn't too awful, although I know it feels like it right now.

How long since you had your baby? It takes a while for the tummy area to spring back after having a baby, especially when you gain extra. So part of what I will recommend is some patience as you keep working on everything.

I would NOT go down to 1200 calories. Instead, I would suggest lifting about 4 times a week, with a day or two of cardio on non-lift days, and figuring out your TDEE as someone else suggested. Try eating TDEE - 15% to start. You'll see results in upper body, and depending on your genetics, legs and hips, faster for a while. But it does come with time.

I'm not going to tell you that you'll get the flat belly of a girl who has never had a baby (I won't tell you that you can't, either, but it's a lot harder). I've learned, after 4 kids, to do the best I can, keep working out, and love that extra curve as a badge of honor -- this body grew 4 wonderful babies and I'm not going to hate on a bit of a "pooch" … I am, however, going to dress in ways that are flattering and minimize its appearance :laugh:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i've got similar stats, 5''7" and 158lbs, and am still losing at around 2000 calories a day... just saying...
    i do run 5h a week though (because i am stubborn), and should do more strength training (i keep telling myself i will start again in winter.)

other than that, everything i can think of has already been mentioned...
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    May I just say... you look like Shakira, and you're GORGEOUS :flowerforyou:

Even though you may feel happier when you've made some healthier lifestyle changes, just know that your starting point is already beautiful!!

I'm not sure what you calorie intake should be, but if you want to keep the butt, try the Butt Bible workout (it's free on youtube) along with weighted squats. Bret Contreras (http://bretcontreras.com) also has a lot of information about improving your glutes. Good luck!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I feel cheated. I was expecting gross not gorgeous!

Seriously, you are stunning. That last little bit (and it isn't much although it obviously feels like it to you) will come off, just keep at it. xx
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    If you want to "tone up" your muscle, then lift some weights (full body workout) with resistance challenging enough to just do 5-8 reps. You don't NEED to do cardio unless your goal is to increase your endurance or just burn more calories. Moderate calorie deficit and be consistent. That's pretty much it. Your body will figure out what you're doing and comply.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but where are the "really gross" pictures? I don't see any in your OP.
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but where are the "really gross" pictures? I don't see any in your OP.

LOOK AT MY STOMACH AND THEN LOOK AT YOURS, THERE YOU GO.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

See, there aren't may people on this site who are willing to support negative self-affirmations. If you want advice on how to change your body's shape or appearance, people will give you suggestions. But not if you speak negatively about yourself. You have a VERY common post pregnancy shape. It is not gross on you or any other woman who has it.

It doesn't mean you can't want to change it, it just means you need to speak kinder about yourself so people aren't afraid they are "helping" somebody with some type of body dysmorphic disorder.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Well, have you at least watched Extreme Weight Loss? I think that's the caliber of stuff people expect when you say your tummy is gross, not a couple stretch marks, some loose skin over a standard lower tummy pooch, and totally drool worthy hips and *kitten*. Ugh, can you at least tell me what jeans you're wearing so I don't feel totally ripped off? :laugh:
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options

See, there aren't may people on this site who are willing to support negative self-affirmations. If you want advice on how to change your body's shape or appearance, people will give you suggestions. But not if you speak negatively about yourself. You have a VERY common post pregnancy shape. It is not gross on you or any other woman who has it.

It doesn't mean you can't want to change it, it just means you need to speak kinder about yourself so people aren't afraid they are "helping" somebody with some type of body dysmorphic disorder.

Its not speaking negatively to me, its what and how I feel about it.
    If it wasn't "gross" you try going to the beach with me and see the stares I get!

I WASNT EVEN ASKING ABOUT MY STOMACH!!!!!! READ THE POST, more or so to the end.
  • sueclare38
    Options
    In the long term a mix of cardio, and weights will help, if it's more toning and firming then more weights than cardio and make sure you get enough protein. In the short term while you're doing this, good fitting underwear and clothes. If you wear clothes that are too tight you will gain love handles. I have plenty left to tone up, but in the right fitting clothes I can look like I've almost accomplished my goal.

And never be grossed out by a baby belly, it carried your most precious achievment. I've had 6 and mine is a bit flabbier than yours(hoping to change that with weights), but I still don't think it looks bad (stood upright), but bent forward, hell yeah it look like a deflated camel hump, but who walks around like that all day.
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    In the long term a mix of cardio, and weights will help, if it's more toning and firming then more weights than cardio and make sure you get enough protein. In the short term while you're doing this, good fitting underwear and clothes. If you wear clothes that are too tight you will gain love handles. I have plenty left to tone up, but in the right fitting clothes I can look like I've almost accomplished my goal.

And never be grossed out by a baby belly, it carried your most precious achievment. I've had 6 and mine is a bit flabbier than yours(hoping to change that with weights), but I still don't think it looks bad (stood upright), but bent forward, hell yeah it look like a deflated camel hump, but who walks around like that all day.

LMAO yea its always worse bent over lol. I wear jeans that aren't like only "jean" they all stretch a little.

thank you :)
  • icecreamdreams
    icecreamdreams Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    One, I definitely agree with the majority of posters. You aren't gross or disgusting or anything like that. I think that if you changed your wording, you'd probably get a lot more help or ideas to help you meet your goal.

It sounds like you truly mean that you want to tighten up things around your body instead of it looking "soft". You made one accurate statement in saying that you like the weight that you see on the scale, but you'd like to see more of your body being toned muscle instead of showing the adipose tissue.

I would search "women lifting" in the forums to get your answer. The 30 day shred is more geared towards weight loss. If you're wanting to do a home thing instead of a gym, I would look into other videos that focus more on building lean muscle. Or if you have a gym membership, then there's your first step.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Another woman with a "baby belly" here. I sure don't like it, but I hope that finally, 16 years after my 3rd child was born, that I can still improve it.

It doesn't help that I ended up with a C-section for my first only because I live in the boonies. My next two were born without problems.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Its not speaking negatively to me, its what and how I feel about it.
    If it wasn't "gross" you try going to the beach with me and see the stares I get!

I WASNT EVEN ASKING ABOUT MY STOMACH!!!!!! READ THE POST, more or so to the end.

Um, did read the post -- the ENTIRE thing, which is why I told you to:
    My non-expert suggestion is to eat at a very small deficit (.5 a week) and lift..

Your actual question is being ignored because of you are calling yourself names and acting like your stomach is the worst thing EVER when a good number of women have the SAME THING. Period. You will get A LOT more constructive, useful comments if you drop all negativity.