To the woman I see on Rt 4 in MA

Options

Replies

• mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Your thumbs up to this woman was just what I needed today! What an awesome post!
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    umm this creeped me out... i walk/jog on RT 4 everyday but in New Hampshire...

Im a bit creeped out too.
    I kinda know that area since im from NH.

OP, I like your sentiment here.
    But youve just made it really easy for someone to follow her...

LOL! Yeah just cruise around Concord and Billerica and look for the bike rider, certainly there's only one.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Awwwww made me want to cry. I hope she sees the thumbs up and maybe, one day, it will keep her going when she needs it the most.
  • Sedna_51
    Sedna_51 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    This is so great it's making me a little verkempt, a la Linda Richman. TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES!

No, but seriously. Good on you, OP, for recognizing that persistence. And I salute you, exercise lady. May I be half the badass you are and continue to be.
  • Barbell_Jules
    Barbell_Jules Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    What a great post! :heart: I sure hope she sees your thumbs up one of these days.
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    another one who got choked up LOL, AMAZING POST!!!!
  • MariaAkeroyd
    MariaAkeroyd Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Well done...
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    We've all been there . . . We all had to start somewhere - - I am not the fastest or longest-distance runner/cyclist that I want to be (yet), but I'm getting there each and every time I head out. Every person who gives me a thumbs-up or says "just keep going" or "looking good - you got this" stokes the motivational fire and it pushes me to new limits !!!

Thank you for sharing your tribute to the unknown runner on Rt 4.

PS - I also commute Route. 4 on a daily basis & know that hill in Billerica :-)
  • TerryR012448
    Options
    Thank you for this post, it made my day, and I commend you for your kindness to this woman. Next time honk your horn to get her attention so she sees your sign of encouragement.

I'm a 65 yo guy that's been working on improving myself for the past several years. I've come a long way, and have a long way to go to get to where I want to be. It hasn't been easy.

Made a decision this summer to run a 5k. The race is this coming weekend, September 14th. This will be my first. Started running on my own late June. I would be one of those folks on the running trail looking like I was in pain because I was and am, but I've kept at it thanks to comments such as yours from people I passed by, and the examples set by others on MFP.

Almost everyone out there, runners, walkers, etc., would say "hi" or good morning or something, and I give them a greeting as well. Many times it was difficult to say "hi" or "Good Morning" or "thank you" when they made room for me on the trail while I was panting and gasping for air.

The nicest thing I heard was from an elderly lady I never seen before, who first stepped off the trail to let me pass when she heard my heavy breathing and sound of my footsteps, and then said, "looking good!!" as I went by. That little comment meant so much and brought tears to my eyes. An ounce of encouragement, a kind word, or simply giving way when they heard the sound of footsteps and heavy breathing means so VERY much.

Keep giving the positive strokes OP, folks like that woman, and myself need them and appreciate them. It's part of what keeps us going.
  • mommy3457
    mommy3457 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Aww that's so sweet! You should go talk to her one day. I bet she would really love to hear what you wrote. :happy:
  • ChristinaPerrine
    Options
    Wonderful post!! Gave me chills... I want to be that woman.
  • HPB2
    HPB2 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post, OP!
  • rsimoneau1
    rsimoneau1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Folks, thank you for enjoying my post.

I am a security manager at a DoD contractor and I understand "OPSEC". For those of you that are creeped out by my post, I offer you a few things:

1. RT 4 in MA in the area I speak of has HUNDREDS of cyclists a day on it. A good number of them are biking to and from work.
    2. I never say the time. I say "my commute", morning and evening are pretty vague.
    3. RT 4 in MA is regularly patrolled by PD, and is a high traffic alternate to RT 3.

I'm very sorry for the ones that are "creeped out" by my post, perhaps you have issues of your own to deal with. There was no malicious intent to my post. I have seen this cyclist/runner consistently for the last 5 months, and she is doing something that a lot of people don't.

SHE IS NOT GIVING UP.

And that was the point. The moral of the story. She motivates me to be better, nothing more.
  • Pamela_in_Progress
    Options
    Love it! Wonderfully inspiring!! :D
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar experience seeing a woman work hard with a pained expression but never quitting. My husband and I have talked about her more than once after seeing her work at her running, up the hills and carrying hand weights. It's been about 10 years and she's always out there - rain or shine.

Nice post, OP. Great sentiment.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Massachusetts resident, I fully expected this post to be a rant against a bad driver, as there are many here.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. Great post.

Same reaction here - I'm so jaded :ohwell:
  • ItsJenney
    Options
    Great post, very inspiring, and tear jerking as well. This is a great motivator for a lot of people (me included once I get medically cleared to run instead of walk) who feel like a total dufus out there the first day of getting back to running or just getting into it. Knowing that people are cheering you on for keeping at it and giving your best effort is a huge reason to keep at it. You never know how many people you are inspiring simply by doing it every day.:flowerforyou:
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic! Thank you so much for writing this :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I live in Billerica but have never had the pleasure of seeing this person. Someday!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    As a fellow Massachusetts resident, I fully expected this post to be a rant against a bad driver, as there are many here.

However, I was pleasantly surprised. Great post.

Same reaction here - I'm so jaded :ohwell:

I grew up in MA, work in MA but I'm currently living in NH. I totally expected this to be full of road rage.