Special K diet

Options

Replies

• heatherdl2013
    Options
    Diets don't work. The only way to loose weight and keep off weight is to eat right. Try not to eat processed foods. This unfortunately includes Special K. Don't get me wrong I love Special K cereal and some of their other products. I used them for a while, not the "special k diet" but just used them because I liked them as "healthy" alternative. I would urge you to watch documentaries on nutrition. I did and it was eye opening. I now try to eat mostly whole foods or foods that have very little ingredients. This has been great for my body. I don't feel sluggish or get out of control hunger pains late at night from the "diet" food that I used to eat. With whole foods like vegetables, fruits, and unprocessed grains, it is much easier to eat more on them and stay full.

If you want to keep on the Special K diet then by all means do what is best for you. I just think that the diet craze does not work because it is not something you can do for the rest of your life. Once you lose the weight and get off of just doing Special K, you will likely gain back.

This is all out of concern from a fellow diet lover. I did every diet in the book. Atkins, HCG, Hydroxycut, Healthy Choice, No eggs, Apple Cider Vinegar shots, and diet soda diets.

Nothing has given me the weight loss that I desire nor the healthy feeling in my body than just clean eating and trying to eat more healthy whole food meals :)
    Best of luck!
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I tried that once. I was constantly hungry and it didn't work. Don't bother. Plus if you look at the nutrition facts, special K cereal has about the same amount of calories (sometimes more!) as the other cereals in the cereal aisle.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I always got the impression it was for someone who wanted to drop a quick 5 pounds or wanted to fit into a dress or something, but wasn't for massive and long term weight loss.

That was my understanding as well. I don't think it's a bad thing to jump start better portion control, etc., especially if it works for you. I find that what works for me, may not work for someone else and visa versa.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Didnt do it myself but had a co-worker do it. She lost a decent amount of weight. She is very health conscious now and says that while it helped her lose weight initially it was not the healthiest (she was missing nutrients she considers important ion her diet).

Might be a good place to start but not sure if its a diet you should stick to for the long haul
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine lost 5-6 lbs on this, BUT, Special K products tend to be pretty processed, so I'd much rather lose the weight following a clean diet centered on lean proteins, healthy fats, fruits/veggies.

^ Totally agree! You'll get way more nutrients this way as well.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The last time I did Special K I had an out of body experience. It was crazy. I was floating above my body and watching my life unfold like the panels in a comic book - complete with narration and all.

It's a whacky substance, I wouldn't recommend it for dieting.

Sweetie, I think you accidentally took some LSD :smile:
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    Tried doing it for a few days, it was awful, I was starving all the time. I don't recommend any kind of fad dieting like Special K. Plus, not enough protein!
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I always got the impression it was for someone who wanted to drop a quick 5 pounds or wanted to fit into a dress or something, but wasn't for massive and long term weight loss.

This. They even market it that way, as a way to drop some weight before a big special event like a Class Reunion. It isn't sustainable weight loss.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just had a nosey at your profile. So you're trying to get your body in order for your wedding next year.
    You've got TEN MONTHS!!

Do you really want to eat this rubbish for all this time?

Get your butt down the gym and start picking up some weights, throw in a bit of interval based cardio and eat sensibly. You've almost got a year to sort your body out, why not do it properly, rather than aim for the quick fix which won't last??
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    You have 50lbs to lose, not 5lbs. You need to find something sustainable for the long haul, cause that kind of weight could take you all year to lose. Take 10 minutes and search TDEE and cut from that figure. You don't NEED to exercise, but it will certainly help get that deficit and allow you to eat a more humane amount. Set youself up to go the long haul.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't think you could possibly get all your micro nutrients in having cereal two meals a day. You'll be tired and hungry. This is not sustainable at all.
  • mo11ybloom
    Options
    It's a gimmick designed to get you to buy more Special K products. Don't fall prey. There might as well be a Hot Pocket diet or a Twinkie diet (Oh wait there IS a Twinkie diet...)

You'll lose more weight and spend less money if you just eat normal food. Special K is crazy high in sugar, and all that sugar will just make you more and more hungry.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Why limit yourself to a processed food for two of your meals? (plus a little milk and some fruit) Eat a wider variety of healthy foods...the way you'd plan to eat afterwards anyway. By the end of a week you probably won't want to eat Special K ever again!
  • JADEPH0EN1X
    JADEPH0EN1X Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Tried doing it for a few days, it was awful, I was starving all the time. I don't recommend any kind of fad dieting like Special K. Plus, not enough protein!

I agree with this . Plus it sent my blood sugars sky high !!!
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie: I did it in college once and it worked for my purposes. I've always tended to eat pretty healthily all year and keep at a steady weight until the holidays, when I go nuts (except last year when I put myself on a leash). Without fail, I would put on a few pounds after Christmas and not lose them, but not gain any weight throughout the year. I did the Special K thing and I did lose the weight, and kept it off when I went off it because of my normal good eating habits.

Is it sustainable? Absolutely not. It would be too expensive and get crazy boring. But if you need to lose a couple of pounds from a brief period of going nuts, it's a viable option for reducing your calories. And I can't get enough of the Vanilla Almond cereal, it's really flippin' good.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In theory you could do this with Twinkies too. Two cakes are 270 calories. Times two for breakfast and lunch would put you at 540. That leaves plenty of room for a sensible dinner and maybe even a dessert of some sort, maybe Special K (just kidding, have another Twinkie).
  • griffith5150
    Options
    I like their cereals and I might eat their bars as a snack but its not my main diet. I view it like eating a Lean Cuisine meal during my lunch break at work when if there are no leftovers to take for lunch instead. For example I just wanted something quick for breakfast so I grabbed their sausage sammie for breakfast. Its alright but I don't see myself eating those everyday for the next few months. I like real food :)
  • Lili0817
    Lili0817 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    All those products have way to much sugar and processed ingrediants! Skip the diet and just eat healthy :)
  • deedee0611
    Options
    30g of special K for each serving :smile:
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I love Special K. I have a bowl (31g) weighed with 80z of milk for bfest right before gym. I love that stuff but I also love lucky charms. Yea and I'm losing weight big wooop. The key here is that I weigh my cereal in grams.
This discussion has been closed.