Dealing With Unsupportive Friends & Family

Options

Replies

• ljordan15
    ljordan15 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had very little support to be honest. The good thing about calorie counting is that you don't really need support from others! As long as you control your portion size and limit snacking, you should have no problem fitting in your plan with others. Besides, dieting doenst have to be too hard.

It can be tough if you are counting macros, but Ive read that as long as you priotise calorie consumption that you should still lose weight as long as you continue to exercise - http://fitzim.com/lose-weight-good-macros-part-3/

Im managing to lose weight by just counting calories at the minute, though whenever possible I hit my 'secondary' targets of protein, carbs and fats like they suggest in that article. Makes things a lot easier!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    You can't argue with results! Make him eat his words.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    MFP is your safe place where you can discuss your weight loss successes, failures, and learning experiences. I've learned that the rest of the world pretty much doesn't want to hear it. People who have seen you try and fail in the past will rub your nose in those failures. People who are envious of your conviction will try to undermine it.

Now, some of us are lucky and we have supportive people in our real life environment who encourage us. But if you don't, just keep coming back to MFP and quit going to the proverbial hardware store looking for a loaf of bread (going to historically unsupportive people looking for support).

That's my take on it.
  • jacklis
    jacklis Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Do not include them in your discussions about weight loss or being healthy. You have other outlets. Ignore comments. It will get easier.

This- do not include them, let your actions speak for you.

P.S. IMO if a 'friend' will say something like you've described, then they are not really a "good friend". You know a good friend when you have one.
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Forget them! Pove them wrong! Show how amazing you can be!
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    You can either sit your friend down and say to him, "Look, this is really important to me and I am hoping for your support to help with the changes." Or you can stop talking about it with the non-supporters and just go about your life and depend on your friends here.

One of my closest friends gave me such a hard time for choosing a salad, dressing on the side, water to drink and no dessert one time when we went out that I actually stopped eating with her. I hardly ever see her anymore, it turns out all we seemed to have in common was food.

So sometimes when we make a lifestyle change we need to re-evaluate more than just the food.

PS- It's very very awesome that your hub is behind you on this. It will make it less difficult. :flowerforyou:

edited for spelling
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My opinion -- misery loves company. This friend is unhappy and has no motivation. He feels threatened by the thought of "losing you" to a healthy lifestyle and wants to keep you down on his level, so to speak. He does not want to change and is afraid that if you make a lifestyle change to become healthy, you won't have things in common with him. If he continues with his negativity, just tell him to shut it and keep his crap to himself, because you are making good choices for yourself...and that if he is really a friend, he will support you instead of trying to tear you down.

You're doing the right thing trying to get healthy. It is a long, hard process and you will need support! Toxic people like that have no place in your healthy future. Either he needs to change or he needs to go.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I agree with proving them wrong. I have some cousins who have lost weight on a VLCD. That's not for me, but they feel kind of smug about it. So as I'm losing weight as well--with a balanced diet--I'll want to make sure to keep it off to show them that it's possible this way too (among the more important reasons to keep it off, of course)!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Maybe you shouldn't tell everyone your business ....... just saying ......

I didn't tell anyone, not even my own husband, that I was changing anything ...... I just did it ...... even when I'd lost 25 pounds, and people started to notice, I still didn't talk about it.

My "online peeps" (and my doctor) are all the support I need :heart:

Make your plans for healthy eating & reasonable exercise ...... stick to them ...... and best of luck to you !
  • ecka723
    ecka723 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who is fairly direct. If someone is saying or doing something that genuinely hurts me and bothers me (it doesn't happen often, but it does happen), I simply tell them. As nicely as I can, I say that it bothers me they they think those things of me and I would prefer if they keep their opinions on the issue to themselves. In my experience, if I am nice about it and ask them politely, it's never become a bigger issue. Telling him that you need support right now might just be the way to go about this.
  • Katkamm77
    Katkamm77 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I feel that your co-worker is jealous that you are doing something about your weight. I bet the more you lose, the more negative they will get. Or at least will not acknowledge your success. I had a long time friend who told me not to be so happy because the 20 lbs I lost was probably just water. She was not happy with her weight but, wouldn't change her lifestyle and didn't want me to either. Misery loves company.
    I need to lose over 100 lbs. It seems like an impossible goal. I look at all the success stories on MFP and it shows me that it can be done.
  • uttercaro
    Options
    A very wise friend of mine has a technique for this. When she knows she's about to hear the same-old-same-old from people she loves, she just smiles and sings old TV theme shows inside her head while they talk. Try it! "Flintstones, meet the Flintstones . . . "
  • mybonnieliesovertheocean
    Options
    I'm struggling. Luckily I have what I consider extended family. My "other mom" is also transforming her health through dieting and exercise. We call or text each other every morning (since we don't live in the same city) and do a 30 minute workout together. Exercising sucks, but it sucks a lot less when someone is suffering with you : )

As far as the dieting goes, my coworkers are actually supportive. They offer something once and I say no instantly because if I didn't cook it, I don't know how many calories is in it. I don't actually want to say no of course, but you are so important. I pack my lunch every day so there are no excuses (plus it's saving me tons of money).

Dieting is way harder for me than the exercise part, but some things that have helped are salsa (low calorie flavor), hot sauce (no calorie flavor), and increasing my protein - egg whites, fish, beans, hummus.

You are not the only one going through this, obviously by the many responses, we all are. Hang in there, you can't do a diet... you have to make a permanent lifestyle change. Make one change every week and it'll seem much easier like baby steps : )

Good luck with everything and if you need a supportive buddy, I'm here.
  • becausebrittany
    Options
    I definitely appreciate all of your insight and thoughts on this topic. It was much needed to hear from many of you.

Here's to giving it my all!
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have no one to blame but myself but hearing him say "oh this will just be another fad like weight watchers or atkins or being vegetarian" actually hurts to hear.

Uh, no. You have him to blame for making jerk-*kitten* comments. You're entitled to set personal boundaries with friends, and this looks like a great place for one. Let him know in no uncertain terms that if he can't be supportive, he can keep his opinions to himself.
  • AegisAngel
    Options
    Firstly, I would never have a friend who didn't believe in me and my abilities and who was always negative. People like that drag you down and don't add anything positive to your life. Sometimes, we as overweight individuals surround ourselves with people like this, sometimes due to self esteem issues or other issues that have gone on in our lives.

I would definitely speak with this so-called friend and tell them that their negative comments hurt you and are an obstacle in your path to a long, healthy life. If they are truly your friend they will be sorry and they will change for the better. If they don't and they continue to drag you down with negative and defeating comments then its time to say bye bye.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    dont worry about proving them wrong so much as proving yourself right. if proving them wrong is a side effect, so be it.
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    Listen to that logical voice inside your head not the heart because the heart cares about what others think about them, the mind doesn't, it stays focus. You don't need anyone to tell you that it's just jealousy because they have given up and you haven't. Listen politely for you cannot change others, then continue doing what's best for you.
  • Darrelkun
    Darrelkun Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Until I got to work. My coworker and very good friend who is very obese is a very negative person in my life when it comes to being healthy. I have no one to blame but myself but hearing him say "oh this will just be another fad like weight watchers or atkins or being vegetarian" actually hurts to hear. I need to lose weight. I need to be healthy. But having him be so negative makes me want to just give up on the spot because I think to myself that I can't change who I am or how I eat. It's so frustrating :(

One, that's incredibly rude of your coworker. I'm glad you are able to successfully label him as a negative person. Now the real question is, why should you let a person you've labeled negative dictate how your life will unfold? Is he really able to control your life and your results? Does he really know you, if he's so condescending of you? Should he mean anything to you if all he does is provide negativity in your life?

The answer to all of those questions is no, you shouldn't let him rule your life, because he's clearly an imbecile who only knows how to drag people down to his level. He obviously has some issues he needs to work out about his own life. But none of these are your concern. Your concern is you and your health.

So two, don't give up! If you give up, what does that prove? It only means you'll continue to gain weight, remain unhealthy, and be miserable. It means people like him will feel right in their assessment of you (even though they're not) and they'll continue to belittle you. And unfortunately, I'm assuming you're like me (because I would have reacted the same way) which means you'll feel guilty and continue to self-punish yourself. But you need to stop punishing yourself.

If you fall off the bandwagon, oh well. You can always get back on. But think of all the progress you'll make even if you fall off. Even if it's just a fad, who's to say it won't be a reoccurring one? Maybe you'll fall several times, but that doesn't mean each time you get back up is a failure. In order to make it through this weight loss adventure, you need to love yourself and be compassionate with yourself. The best way to be self-compassionate is to imagine yourself in a third person point of view, and ask yourself what you would say/think/do to comfort this person with similar situations as you. I doubt you'd laugh at them, call them a failure, or demand they give up. The same should be applied to you.

Just remember, even if you do 4 weeks of healthy eating, and a week where you fall off the bandwagon, then repeat the process five times, that's 20 weeks of healthy eating! That's better than 25 weeks of unhealthy eating (which is where you'd be at if you didn't make the switch). Your body will have some benefits from this. And you might even have some mental tools develop along the way that will drive you one step closer to succeeding all the way without falling off again.
    Have you guys ever had to deal with an issue like this? I don't want to cut this person out of my life, but I can't stand hearing that I can't make the changes in my life that I need to make in order to be healthy.

Yes. I ignore them. Clearly they don't know what they're talking about OR have their own life conflicts that they're trying to deal with. It's not my problem, it's theirs. I only have control over myself and so I only control myself and let other people be who they are freely. You don't have to cut these people out of your life if you don't want to. But if you want to keep them in your life, you have to learn to agree to disagree and remember that your own self-love and self-image are what matter most.
  • David179
    Options
    I choose not to support their lack of support by paying exactly zero attention to what they do or say. It's really not that hard after a while.
This discussion has been closed.