How do you avoid evening snacking?

Options

Replies

• becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    this may be 'lame' - but I wear a retainer at night (YES, I'm 47 years old, and I wear a retainer - I grind my teeth when I sleep)!

So - right after dinner - I pop my retainer in (I can't eat with it in) - go upstairs (the further away I am from food, the better) - and all is good!
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all these awesome suggestions :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at around 7pm and then spend time on MFP & other websites, sew, read, do the crossword in the paper, do some gardening if it's summer. These days it never occurs to me to eat again until breakfast. Snacking's just a habit you can break if you choose.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary I would say that unless you are bad about logging in after lunch you would do better to eat dinner every night. That said, you come in far enough under your calories to have a snack nearly every night. If you are craving fats then go for healthy ones, have that handful of nuts or avocado or even a small dish of ice cream. Most likely though your late night munchies are your body telling you it can't go from lunch today until breakfast tomorrow without more fuel.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at around 7pm and then spend time on MFP & other websites, sew, read, do the crossword in the paper, do some gardening if it's summer. These days it never occurs to me to eat again until breakfast. Snacking's just a habit you can break if you choose.

so is breakfast.
  • Sarah0866
    Options
    Thanks! I actually do always track my whole day (this weekend was a weekend full of bday celebrations, so I will admit, I slacked a bit in terms of logging this weekend. No more :)

That said, I have a couple of days this week where I overindulged on avocado/PB...you may be right about listening to my body though...I am still at a deficit :)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

so is breakfast.

This is true - I don't always have breakfast.
  • o2bADyer
    Options
    Not having "those" snacks available is an option. You could try healthier snacks or allow for those snacking calories so you don't feel bad about it afterwards. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • shannashannabobana
    Options

so is breakfast.
    I agree with both of these. I rarely eat a full breakfast or snack after dinner. If you have a decent dinner, you probably won't be hungry for a snack. I just build my food into mealtimes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Plan for a snack. I like steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon and brown sugar, greek yogurt with fresh fruit, Healthy Choice fudge bars, popcorn, any kind of fruit.
  • svsl0928
    svsl0928 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    There nothing wrong with an evening snack as long a its the right choice and within your calories. I do fruit, yogurt, Pringles or 100 calories nuts if I get the urge.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There nothing wrong with an evening snack as long a its the right choice and within your calories. I do fruit, yogurt, Pringles or 100 calories nuts if I get the urge.

What's "the right choice"?

Tonight, after dinner, I plan on having two pieces of toast with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 3.5 pieces of cornbread, & a pint of pumpkin ice cream. Are those the wrong choices?
  • baldmitch
    baldmitch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have enough calories left in your daily allowance for a snack or two. Then havew a healthy snack!

I'm watching sodium intake right now, so I know to not eat potato chips or popcorn or any other "cattle feed". My snacks are apples, unsalted walnuts, and/or unsweet greek yogurt with a little cinnamon and splenda.

Snacks, especially healthy snacks that help propel you TOWARDS your goal, will keep you in line while perhaps even increasing your metabolism. Why eat three times a day when you can eat 5, still lose weight, and have incredible amounts of energy?
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know that I enjoy an evening snacking, so I save 200-300 calories for a light meal/snacks. I tend to not really be hungry around lunch time, so I have something light then to balance it out. (I'm much more about breakfast!)

Finding what works for you is part of making the lifestyle change.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    This has periodically been a problem for me. Now I have got into the habit of keeping myself amused and having a mug of tea and a biscuit about 9ish. When I was getting into this habit, f I felt I was going to continue snacking I would make sure that I had something reasonably filling like flapjack, thick crusty toast and marmite or fresh salted or plain popcorn - something that was remotely healthy rather than crisps, chocolate, cheese, biscuits or the like. The idea was to nip the snacking spree in the bud rather than generally graze the cupboards for the entire evening. I also stopped having a bottle of beer in the evening that would lead to 2 or 3, and make it harder to resist the snacks.
  • hillarysmith21
    hillarysmith21 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hahaha I don't know why, but this struck me as so funny. Good idea, though!
  • Sarah0866
    Options
    This has periodically been a problem for me. Now I have got into the habit of keeping myself amused and having a mug of tea and a biscuit about 9ish. When I was getting into this habit, f I felt I was going to continue snacking I would make sure that I had something reasonably filling like flapjack, thick crusty toast and marmite or fresh salted or plain popcorn - something that was remotely healthy rather than crisps, chocolate, cheese, biscuits or the like. The idea was to nip the snacking spree in the bud rather than generally graze the cupboards for the entire evening. I also stopped having a bottle of beer in the evening that would lead to 2 or 3, and make it harder to resist the snacks.

Yeah, beer and alcohol in general would have the same effect on me, so I generally avoid them (with the exception of Friday night when I go out dancing lol)
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

What's "the right choice"?

Tonight, after dinner, I plan on having two pieces of toast with 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, 3.5 pieces of cornbread, & a pint of pumpkin ice cream. Are those the wrong choices?
    They're the wrong choice if they put you over your calorie goals.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    It might sound overly simple but just don't buy snacks in the first place or keep only snacks you think you can fit into your plan.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I don't. I just plan an evening snack into my diet.
    My vote for best answer:drinker: