7 Tips for Keeping Your Man (from the 1950s)

Options

Replies

• djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    T1W23Lm.jpg
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I would rather be a spinster than a doormat. Any "man" who want that kind of woman, is not a man at all.

Those "not man at all" did stop the Nazis.

Being good at war doesn't necessarily make one a man.

What is your definition? Since, stopping the greatest evil of the last century, doesn't speak of their character at all.

Let's not forget the country (men, women, young, and old) was at war we were all involved. You had women making the planes and munitions, healing the soldiers on the front line to help with the war efforts.

and not to be a total nerd but I think it was the dropping of a few A bombs that won the war.

The war effort was a team effort by the whole country, of course.

I was just pointing out that saying those "men" weren't "men at all" for wanting their women that way is a bit ingenuous. They didn't know better but that doesn't make them bad men.

I'm pretty sure those bombs didn't drop themselves :tongue:

As an American History graduate, yay for history nerds :flowerforyou: !

"They didn't know better"?? Good thing you aren't a psychology major.

Why can't the target be my argument and not me?

Because res ipsa loquitur.

Haha, I guess burning the witch is easier that proving what she did or didn't do, is or isn't magic. :flowerforyou:
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I would rather be a spinster than a doormat. Any "man" who want that kind of woman, is not a man at all.

What is your definition? Since, stopping the greatest evil of the last century, doesn't speak of their character at all.

Let's not forget the country (men, women, young, and old) was at war we were all involved. You had women making the planes and munitions, healing the soldiers on the front line to help with the war efforts.

and not to be a total nerd but I think it was the dropping of a few A bombs that won the war.

I was just pointing out that saying those "men" weren't "men at all" for wanting their women that way is a bit ingenuous. They didn't know better but that doesn't make them bad men.

My grandparents were married in the early 50s. My grandfather grew up as a country boy in the hills of Kentucky and I'm pretty sure if my grandmother would have followed the advice as laid out in the original post, they never would have been together. Yes, my grandmother did most of the caring for the house hold and the family and yes my grandfather worked full time to support her and the eight children they had together. With that being said, they made decisions together and her opinion was not only heard, it was respected. My grandma is a bit of a firecracker always voices her opinions and even when she got into a couple scuffles with the neighbors over their treatment of her kids he never blinked an eye or treated her like a hysterical person. When their first children (twins) were born he would take the laundry to the laundromat every couple days to be sure that there would be plenty of diapers and he never had a problem helping out in the kitchen. They were married 56 years and loved, respected and cared for each other every day of that time. To say that men in the 50s didn't know better would be incorrect, because some did.

This is true of my family as well.

In addition, I think it is mistaken to assume that because this may have been published in a "popular" magazine that it reflects popular opinion. It reflects a very specific cultural attitude that does not line up with my ethnic cultural expectations, nor that of many cultures that exist here in the states. And yet my ancestors fought in that war. They did not give up their own cultural identity to conform to whatever the "mainstream" (wasp?) publications said.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Haha, I guess burning the witch is easier that proving what she did or didn't do, is or isn't magic. :flowerforyou:

Your response to people treating other people like crap is to say they didn't know any better. I'm certain had you studied psychology, or philosophy, you would have come across this human emotion called "empathy" by which a person considers another persons feelings and relates to it. It's a skill normally developed by four years of age. Your rationalization that they didn't know any better because it was the "norm" is, well, bad on it's face. If someone were to use that argument for slave owners, Indian killers, or Nazi soldiers, one can only hope you would see the problem.
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Apparently I would have been gay if I lived in the 50's b/c there is no way in HELL.....but thanks for the laugh!!!
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    4. But don't be a Sexual Vampire or a Frigid Franny

n5opl4.gif
  • vtmoon
    Options

My grandparents were married in the early 50s. My grandfather grew up as a country boy in the hills of Kentucky and I'm pretty sure if my grandmother would have followed the advice as laid out in the original post, they never would have been together. Yes, my grandmother did most of the caring for the house hold and the family and yes my grandfather worked full time to support her and the eight children they had together. With that being said, they made decisions together and her opinion was not only heard, it was respected. My grandma is a bit of a firecracker always voices her opinions and even when she got into a couple scuffles with the neighbors over their treatment of her kids he never blinked an eye or treated her like a hysterical person. When their first children (twins) were born he would take the laundry to the laundromat every couple days to be sure that there would be plenty of diapers and he never had a problem helping out in the kitchen. They were married 56 years and loved, respected and cared for each other every day of that time. To say that men in the 50s didn't know better would be incorrect, because some did.

Some did, most didn't. Otherwise we would have had better equality and options for women. Is it fair for me to throw a blanket statement and say that men of the time weren't "men at all" because we are basing our judgement based on the way things are now but not taking an unbiased objective view of how it was during that time.

And your Grandpa would be considered a progressive and ahead of his time for the simple fact of being involved in doing laundry. Some people are always ahead of their time and they tend to change the world.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options

Doormat ? I like making men happy.

Did you read the thing?

Srsly. Making men happy doesn't have to equate to undermining your own humanity.

Yes, the only one I would not tolerate was straying. Making men happy makes me happy.
    [/quote]
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What does being a soldier have to do with marriage?

Since we're talking about WW2:
    You can argue that the men of the 1950's stopped the "greatest evil" but the world didn't know of the genocide until after the war was almost over. Also, many soldiers were deployed on non European battlefronts. What of their valor and sacrifice? Also, what does it say about the Allied forces when Stalin was also a genocidal maniac?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I really don't think you can say that ALL or even MOST men from the 50s were "not real men" because they lived in a patriotically society. That society was centuries in the making, not the fault of one one generation. It most likely started as a natural phenomenon where it made more sense for the woman to take care of children (because she has boobs which literally make baby food) and for the men to hunt and gather because they are naturally stronger. Through centuries this natural arrangement evolved. Gender rolls became ingrained into society, and strongly delineated instead of just what was easier and necessary to survive. Technology and society made it so a woman no longer had to care solely for the children, but then suddenly SOME men felt threatened and tried to keep control. The happened LONG before the 1950s, probably in the dark ages.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    The rules have changed slightly for the modern (working) wife.

•Be happy to see him.. This may take several cocktails.
    •Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him….more cocktails.
    •Listen to him. This should be getting easy now after several cocktails.
    •He’s coming home with a great dinner and if he’s late make sure he knows how to use the microwave to reheat; if he really comes home late and without dinner have your dinner delivered and eat without him (just be sure he pays for your dinner when he does get home). No need to try to understand his world of strain, you were out there all day too.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Doormat ? I like making men happy.

Did you read the thing?

Srsly. Making men happy doesn't have to equate to undermining your own humanity.

Yes, the only one I would not tolerate was straying. Making men happy makes me happy.
    [/quote]

Making my man happy makes me happy too. And I don't think it undermines my humanity or integrity to dress sexy, to cook for him, to massage him, to give him space when he needs it, to let him go out without me, or to take care of the puppy in the morning so my man can sleep in. Making him happy makes me happy. Always will.

I just also expect to speak when I need to (the "don't tell him about the pain in your arm" thing was alarming to me- what if she needs to see a doctor??) and to also be treated with respect.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

Some did, most didn't. Otherwise we would have had better equality and options for women. Is it fair for me to throw a blanket statement and say that men of the time weren't "men at all" because we are basing our judgement based on the way things are now but not taking an unbiased objective view of how it was during that time.

And your Grandpa would be considered a progressive and ahead of his time for the simple fact of being involved in doing laundry. Some people are always ahead of their time and they tend to change the world.

She didn't say men at the time weren't men. She said any man who wanted that wasn't a man. I agree to the extent that I certainly wouldn't respect a man who felt entitled to this sort of treatment by virtue of his wank.
  • vtmoon
    Options

Your response to people treating other people like crap is to say they didn't know any better. I'm certain had you studied psychology, or philosophy, you would have come across this human emotion called "empathy" by which a person considers another persons feelings and relates to it. It's a skill normally developed by four years of age. Your rationalization that they didn't know any better because it was the "norm" is, well, bad on it's face. If someone were to use that argument for slave owners, Indian killers, or Nazi soldiers, one can only hope you would see the problem.

You are now taking a whole twist on taking part of what I said and applying it, to extremes. Let's play that game though.

Do you think the slave owners knew better? They didn't, they genuinely thought because they were of a certain skin color, they somehow held moral abd genetic superiority. You don't even have to go to slave owner days, some people still believe that today.

Indian Killers depending on the time period you are talking about it happened for various reasons. Taking their resources, them not accepting Christianity (kinda ironic, for people trying to achieve religious freedom), revenge pretty much contributed for a lot too.

Nazis soldiers had limited options (go march and kill these people or we will kill your entire family), the ones who did have options were tried after the war or tried to hide.

I have empathy for both the men and women, butt to be unbiased I have to have a cognitive empathy towards them because the article wouldn't fly with today's standards. So, when I say they didn't know better is because they didn't, to have empathy towards another human being they have to genuinely believe that they have the same rights as them. If they started learning (when they are 4) that they are better than others based on the simple fact because they were born of certain parents or race, then their empathy towards those so called lesser people will never come to fruition.

For example if in 200 years, we discovered that cows actually were way more intelligent, sophisticated, and had methods of communication. Then the people of the time will be able to have empathy towards the cows, and they can say that the people of this time "didn't know better".
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

You are now taking a whole twist on taking part of what I said and applying it, to extremes. Let's play that game though.

Do you think the slave owners knew better? They didn't, they genuinely thought because they were of a certain skin color, they somehow held moral abd genetic superiority. You don't even have to go to slave owner days, some people still believe that today.

Indian Killers depending on the time period you are talking about it happened for various reasons. Taking their resources, them not accepting Christianity (kinda ironic, for people trying to achieve religious freedom), revenge pretty much contributed for a lot too.

Nazis soldiers had limited options (go march and kill these people or we will kill your entire family), the ones who did have options were tried after the war or tried to hide.

I have empathy for both the men and women, butt to be unbiased I have to have a cognitive empathy towards them because the article wouldn't fly with today's standards. So, when I say they didn't know better is because they didn't, to have empathy towards another human being they have to genuinely believe that they have the same rights as them. If they started learning (when they are 4) that they are better than others based on the simple fact because they were born of certain parents or race, then their empathy towards those so called lesser people will never come to fruition.

For example if in 200 years, we discovered that cows actually were way more intelligent, sophisticated, and had methods of communication. Then the people of the time will be able to have empathy towards the cows, and they can say that the people of this time "didn't know better".

Res ipsa.

Ps. I'm a vegetarian.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Some actual Cosmo headlines:

HIS BIGGEST SEX SECRETS

75 SEX TIPS FROM GUYS

HIS BEST SEX EVER

50 THINGS GUYS WISH YOU KNEW

What is it they say about "the more things change...."?
  • 42hockeymom
    42hockeymom Posts: 521 Member
    Options

HIS BIGGEST SEX SECRETS

75 SEX TIPS FROM GUYS

HIS BEST SEX EVER

The main reason why I stopped reading Cosmo, that and the "Sort of scary but UPBEAT:wink: " articles.....

And yes, you're right, very very right.

Look domestic partnerships take on lots of different of roles these days. Some people like living like it's the '50s, some don't. And truthfully I could care less. I'm gonna do me and let you do you. Whatever that may be.

Now, that doesn't mean I endorse abuse of ANY TYPE and am not saying this is ok. I'm just saying let's just let it be.

Some people read this article and saw doormat others read it and saw their lives. I read it and laughed hysterically. I'm sorry, I'm not going to sit back and not speak, that's not me, I'm not the meek mouse type (and the pain shooting up your arm bit, all I could think was, HELLO HEART ATTACK, but that was my EMT training kicking in) and I completely disagree with the whole "forget about his affair" but there were thoughts that I saw that sort of spoke to me personally, maybe not on that level but at a more evolved level for my times.

I think our OP posted this for a laugh and some of us took this a tad bit out of context for what it was meant to be, stupid, silly humor.

And, no I do not for one minute believe that all marriages were in any way like that, I believe they were more like a responders grandparents marriage, because my grandparents were a lot like that too.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

HIS BIGGEST SEX SECRETS

75 SEX TIPS FROM GUYS

HIS BEST SEX EVER

absolutely right! Oh I love these magazines that wear the tin veil of feminism. Now we know that magazines are in the business of making money, so they only post these things because it's what sales. Which means the women who buy these magazines buy into the whole if I keep him happy he'll stay mentality.
  • newfette81
    Options

haha, tell me it was a woman instructor, cause otherwise that is pretty messed up. :laugh:

no.... no it wasn't
  • vtmoon
    Options

haha, tell me it was a woman instructor, cause otherwise that is pretty messed up. :laugh:

no.... no it wasn't

Oh wow :laugh: !