Strength Training Challenge

Options

Replies

• jodios528
    jodios528 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    did circuit B of the hollywood trainer this morning...so worked back, biceps, thighs and abs. I also threw in a zumba express routine to burn some more calories. we are having a yummy dinner tonight (roasted chicken, beet and heirloom tomato salad and peach bread) so I wanted some extra calories to cover that meal.:wink: My tendons are still feeling sore, but still getting better.

I'm so impressed with all of you and your efforts!:drinker: :drinker:

Barbie - so nice that you were able to workout with your DH:love:

Cindy - congrats on the longer plank and yes it would be a bit embarrassing to lose your swimsuit in the pool :blushing: - but so great that you keep going down in size!

Keep getting stronger!

Jodios :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • terrimag
    terrimag Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I’m still doing workouts twice a week, alternating upper body & abs with lower body & abs. I am slowly increasing the number of my reps. My forearm plank today was 1 minute 4 seconds. I think my biceps and legs are stronger, but I have to “make myself” do the sessions. Looking forward to when I think this is fun! :laugh:

Keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:

Terri
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,948 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to when I think this is fun! :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: I don't think my workout is "fun" but I don't think showering brushing my teeth, getting my hair cut, or many other things are "fun", but I like the effects and I don't like what would happen if I neglected these thing down, I see myself coming closer to the end. I have a healthy snack when I finish so I'm a lot like the dogs who get a treat for being good getting their nails trimmed.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: all of you keep me motivated.....i love this challenge :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Barbie
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: completed another great workout with Jake doing his workout at the same time.....it's nice that we do it together but tricky to both be ready at the same time.

:bigsmile: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    [/quote]
  • cindylu1962
    cindylu1962 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a bummer in terms of how my body felt: it was soooooo sore.:sad: I'm not sure why ( well, it could have been a kiler cardio and weights workout the day before) but it was certainly telling me to avoid anything strenous. So no workouts of any kind occurred yesterday. Truly, what I'd call a recovery day.
    Thank goodness I feel better today and don't feel like I'll shatter into pieces if I bend over.:bigsmile:

And more good news: I hit the 35 pounds down mark. I have 10 more to go from my original goal and then I'll reassess.
    My size 12 speedo swimsuit fits so I can wear for my first time when I go back in the pool in almost 2 years.
    My DH smiled when I tried it on for him. He said it fit perfectly. It's a bit outdated but no biggie for a soak and a few laps in the pool, for now. Now I need to find my goggles.

My appt. with the surgeon is today to determine if I have a hernia or other bazaar issue. Wish me luck.:flowerforyou:
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good luck Cindylu!! I can't wait to hit the 35lb mark-how exciting for you-well done!!!
    I got in my first workout in for the week. Mostly bodyweight stuff I made up. It was hard and I'm glad I got it done. I will get in my workout b tomorrow for Strong curves. You ladies are doing great!
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Hello Friends - I made it to the gym again today and worked my way around the weight machines and then did a few exercises with the free weights. Then on to the treadmill and took a class----it was suppose to be a mix of cardio and strength/toning. HOWEVER, it was pretty much strength/toning, balancing with a special emphasis on abs today. I also faced my old nemesis---the BOSU. And yes, I am as *fond* of it now as I was when I was younger (which is to say not at all).

Best wishes to all. Be strong!!

Lin
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Does anyone have any strength training exercises for the upper and middle back areas? I'd be happy to hear of what is working for you.
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Thanks Ummommyme!
    It feels great.
    You'll get there too. There is sooooo much support and encouragement on this site.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Does anyone have any strength training exercises for the upper and middle back areas? I'd be happy to hear of what is working for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkOov2D1Des

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAQERn2kdJc
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I got a lot done today……..many hours of dog walking, line dance class, important errands completed, plans made for the Friday line dance class, backpack packed for our trip to Victoria tomorrow and I was feeling very smug as I crossed items off my “to do” list until I noticed that it was an hour before bedtime and I’d forgotten to do my strength training…….I was too tired to even envision strapping weights on my ankles and picking up dumbbells. So I decided that this would be the week with only two sessions instead of three. We have to leave the house at 7 AM to catch the ferry and I need to take the dogs on a long walk before we leave.

• jodios528
    Options
    did my second strength training of the week: Michelle Dozois body breakthrough...1 hour of cardio and strength moves. I sweat a lot!:laugh: :laugh: I didn't think I'd be able to push myself that hard but I made it through.

I'm so proud of all of us - stick with the program!

Have a great day.

Jodiios :smile: :love: :flowerforyou: :smooched: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • nevergiveup51
    nevergiveup51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    question I have been faithfully going to the gym 3x per week for about 5 weeks now I do cardio and machines I have only lost 9 lbs and this week I gained 1 lb I am logging all my food and keeping under my calories. This happens to me all the time maybe I shouldn't exercise seems I do better weight loss without it. Does this make any sense I do feel a little smaller but no major improvements oh I am now off BP meds so that's good, getting very discouraged with the gym thing
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Have now increase weights on all leg exercises and most upper body ones too :bigsmile: Also talked to one of the trainers for the class about changing up my routine, since I have been following the same one for some time now. Also, am consistently doing 5 seated planks for 1.25 minutes each!!

AND..cooler weather by tomorrow here!!!

Jill in western ma
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,107 Member
    Options
    Another satisfying day at the gym. Hit the weight machines and added weight on triceps machine and the back. YEAH! Also did the combo cardio/sculpt/tone class. It was a great one today!

Be strong.

Lin
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We are preparing our balcony deck for new sealers and flooring. I've been scraping and operating hand tools. That is it for my strength training this week. I am getting muscles out of the deal, but I don't feel like I'm really fulfilling my goals for this challenge. :noway: :blushing:

Katla
  • jodios528
    Options
    Nevergiveup - if you are putting on muscle your weight may temporarily go up because muscle weighs more. That's happened to me. However, more muscle = a trimmer you and ups your metabolism so eventually the weight comes back off and more (also what happened to me). I am slimmer, trimmer and healthier (e.g. lower cholesterol) now because of eating a healthier diet and all the exercise. There are so many benefits to working out. All I can say is don't give up. Remember all the positive reasons to keep up your workouts. Your weight will naturally fluctuate - don't let the scale get you down!

Jill - congrats on your progress

Lin - you are such a great motivator

Katia - how you build muscle doesn't matter so much as the fact that your are - you are fulfilling this challenge!

Tomorrow is cardio for me so I'll be back in a couple of days. Keep going strong!

Jodios
  • cindylu1962
    Options
    Congrats on your last strengh workout. It sounds like a doozy.
    This Sat.'s shopping trip might find yourself suprised beyond compare. I can't wait to see your face once you get the right equipment on.
    I am headed to the gym. I'm going to try some of the upper body strength recommended for me on this site.
  • Johanne1957
    Johanne1957 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    to read later
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :flowerforyou: After not doing my strength training on Wednesday, I was determined to not miss it today.......I woke up tired after our trip to Victoria yesterday and staying up hours past my usual bedtime. I walked the dogs for less than our usual two hours and taught half the line dance class followed by going out to lunch with our friends who went to Victoria with us. We had shopping to do at Costco on the way home (I ate no free snacks and bought only the items on my list :bigsmile: ). I told Jake that as soon as I walked the dogs I wanted to do strength training. He said he wanted to do it with me but wanted a nap even more :yawn: :yawn: I resisted the nap idea and did my strength training and did everything on the list and an extra set of three things.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: The dogs want to go for another walk and I may go to bed even earlier than usual.

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1433479le3q4a7az6.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    [/quote]
    [/quote]