"Southern Culture" and Dieting

Options
How can I eat healthier while living in the South? Everyone is an excellent cook here, and to deny their food is kinda insulting. PS I can't always make time to cook myself.

Replies

• JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller portions of the delicious Southern food.
  • I'll try! It'll be challenging.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I cook at home. I have noticed that people get offended when you say you want unsweetened tea in the south though... kind of annoying. The sweet tea here.. BLEGH. It's more sugar than tea, no thanks.
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Eat less of it, or add some cardio in order to increase your caloric deficit.
  • What do you do when you can't cook though?
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you're not serious, are you?

I[m sure that most if not *all* of us come from cultures where food is a part of life, where everything from birth to weddings to funeral have food elements to them, and where cooks can get insulted if you don't eat their food.

so?

you gotta do what you gotta do - eat less, decline the food (visit people at "in between hours"), exercise more... it's all a matter of *your* priorities.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Maybe its just my awful northern manners, but I don't care if someone is offended by my refusal to eat their food. The problem is theirs, not mine.
  • Eat less of it, or add some cardio in order to increase your caloric deficit.
    Thanks!
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    As a person who loves to cook, and lives in the South...Just be polite, but honest. "That looks and smells SO good! I'd love to have some, but I am trying to watch what I eat right now. Could I get the recipe to try later?" Or in a teasing way, "When I get myself down into X size, you have to promise to make that for my birthday!"

Or talk to them in advance. I've had people ask me before holidays, "Hey, I'm on X diet, and I can't have __________. Could I bring a dish?" Most of the time, I will do what I can to accomodate the person. Every Easter, I make three vegan dishes for my nephew when he visits, to make sure he eats! I also make sure I have gluten free food, and something that works for someone on South Beach diet. (Sometimes, the dishes work cross-laterally, too...that's always nice...!)

i think anyone that truly enjoys entertaining, and loves feeding people, will be happy to accomodate their family and guests. As a guest, though, I think its up to you to let people know what you are doing, and to at least offer to bring something that you can eat.

EDITED: Start watching YouTube videos on how to cook. Chef Thomas has a great series, so does the Culinary Insitiute of America.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I'll try! It'll be challenging.

If eating healthy were easy, we'd all be skinny. If people get offended, or seem miffed, just let them know you're watching your calories, which is the truth. They should be able to respect that honest and non-offensive answer, no matter where you live.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I just moved to the south and I tell you it is hard! I really get made fun of for eating healthy. (And I'm not one of those who eats paleo or clean or anything that has special requirements... I just try to eat more food that is good for me than bad for me) My coworker calls me a tree hugger because I eat vegetables and rarely eat out.

I try to cook most of my own meals but then people think I'm starving myself because I'm not eating with them at functions. When it boils down to it, I guess I'm going to just let people be offended if I don't accept their food. I can politely turn down food and if they are offended that is their problem and not mine.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I cook at home. I have noticed that people get offended when you say you want unsweetened tea in the south though... kind of annoying. The sweet tea here.. BLEGH. It's more sugar than tea, no thanks.

This northerner thinks sweet tea is gross. Isn't it funny how where we grow up dictates how we like our drinks? I don't add sugar to anything (yet I'm still fat).
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When people say they "can't" do something they're shifting the blame. This is a move to avoid being responsible for their choices. "I can't turn down someone's food because they'll feel bad. I can't cook for myself." If you're going to go those routes at least own up to it. "I'm choosing to eat whatever is offered to me because other people's feelings are more important than mine. I'm choosing to do something else with my time rather than cook for myself." At least then you own the consequences of your choices.
  • As a person who loves to cook, and lives in the South...Just be polite, but honest. "That looks and smells SO good! I'd love to have some, but I am trying to watch what I eat right now. Could I get the recipe to try later?" Or in a teasing way, "When I get myself down into X size, you have to promise to make that for my birthday!"

Or talk to them in advance. I've had people ask me before holidays, "Hey, I'm on X diet, and I can't have __________. Could I bring a dish?" Most of the time, I will do what I can to accomodate the person. Every Easter, I make three vegan dishes for my nephew when he visits, to make sure he eats! I also make sure I have gluten free food, and something that works for someone on South Beach diet. (Sometimes, the dishes work cross-laterally, too...that's always nice...!)

i think anyone that truly enjoys entertaining, and loves feeding people, will be happy to accomodate their family and guests. As a guest, though, I think its up to you to let people know what you are doing, and to at least offer to bring something that you can eat.

EDITED: Start watching YouTube videos on how to cook. Chef Thomas has a great series, so does the Culinary Insitiute of America.
    Okay! This has been helpful. Thanks!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    That is a real tough one.

When I know that I probably will be taking customers out to lunch.. I can usually bet they want barbeque or Italian. I make sure that I work out extra in the morning and build a calorie "bank". Eat a lighter breakfast than normal. Then I can hang out and eat my barbeque (I am a chopped/minced pork guy) , coleslaw, and hushpuppies and concentrate on business and building a relationship.

And don't get me started on buttered cornbread - yeah baby!

With my "new way of eating" on MFP there are NO foods that are off limits and it is awesome. I am slowly and steadily losing weight eating "enough" and having the energy to fuel my workouts.
  • brraanndi
    brraanndi Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If I still lived in TX I'd be doing what I was previously which was kicking serious butt in the gym so I could all the chicken fried steak I want to haha.

I would just eat small portions of everything if they are really pushy take some to go ( My MIL loved to send us home with tupperware ) and call it a day.
  • When people say they "can't" do something they're shifting the blame. This is a move to avoid being responsible for their choices. "I can't turn down someone's food because they'll feel bad. I can't cook for myself." If you're going to go those routes at least own up to it. "I'm choosing to eat whatever is offered to me because other people's feelings are more important than mine. I'm choosing to do something else with my time rather than cook for myself." At least then you own the consequences of your choices.
    You're right. I'll start taking charge of my health better. Thanks!
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    What do you do when you can't cook though?

I don't make the excuses really.. I make something quick. Make things ahead of time to reheat, salads, sandwiches. I don't waste money on eating out often. When we occasionally do go out to eat, just pick things that aren't deep fried and junk.
  • Thank you!
  • flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    from the south here too. i learned to eat smaller portions of many favorites and also order tea unsweetened if people get offended its their problem not mine.