Scared of gyms!!!!!!!!

erin2934
erin2934 Posts: 1
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
As the subject box reads - I am waaaaay too nervous to even consider entering a gym, as I have an absolutely ridiculous paranoia that I'm being watched!!! I'm hoping that the more I lose weight the more manageable this stupid fear will become!

In the meantime, I am enlisting a fitness DVD (not the best I know, but at least it's something!) to help with keeping active. Can anyone recommend a half decent one?!?!!

Replies

• c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    I love Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred! And the best part is: ITS ON YOUTUBE FOR FREE!!!!!

With warmup and cooldown it's about half an hour--and it's challenging but there's a lot of ways to modify the exercises until you get to a fitness level where you can do them.

I've lost so many inches doing this program :)
  • blueyegrl
    blueyegrl Posts: 248 Member
    I have the same fear, I have had a gym membership for a year and three months, and have NOT GONE ONCE! lol Sad, but hey, I'm terrified. And I don't want to cancel in case I get over that fear! Basically I like wasting money! :ohwell: But I would like to suggest Leslie Sansone, Walk At Home videos. I don't know your fitness level, but they are pretty user friendly, and you don't need much room. She's a bit annoying, but it's still a good workout. Good luck! :drinker:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Losing weight first and getting fit just to go to a place where people lose weight and get fit--you realize how that sounds, right?

Don't worry, nobody is watching.
  • tdh1991
    tdh1991 Posts: 511 Member
    Check out beachbody.com work outs. Also taebo
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    i hope this video will alleviate any of your fears

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    I nearly passed out from fright in the parking lot of the gym I ended up joining.

Prior to the gym I was a fan of Kelly Coffey-Meyer's fitness videos. Specifically the lifting ones but she also has a bunch of cardio based ones. You can preview her stuff on youtube.
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    I am partially disabled and I can not work out at a gym. I walk my dogs, count my housework and set my setting on MFP to sedentary. Then I get to count what exercise I do. It is working I have lost 30 lbs so far. You can do it without going to they gym. Be diligent about logging your food and drinking your water. Try and eat for a healthy lifestyle. I am eating for health and I believe this is a key. I don't want to just lose weight I want to take care of my body. Good Luck!
  • redredfox
    redredfox Posts: 76 Member
    Nobody is watching you, trust me. People at the gym are either self-absorbed or feel just as self-conscious as you do. Everyone is there for more or less the same reasons. The only bad workout is the one that you didn't do!
  • Aeramis13
    Aeramis13 Posts: 135 Member
    For what it's worth, people don't really care how you look at the gym. You're there for you and they're there for them. Just go in and do your thang.

Regarding the videos, I recommend checking out your local library. Find out if they have a decent workout selection and/or if they can borrow others from different libraries (ours can have over 150 libraries lend them things in just a couple days most times!) This way you can try out a video/set before dropping the cash on them.

Also, check out Craigs list for used copies. And garage sales, when the season is right.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    As the subject box reads - I am waaaaay too nervous to even consider entering a gym, as I have an absolutely ridiculous paranoia that I'm being watched!!! I'm hoping that the more I lose weight the more manageable this stupid fear will become!

I'm afraid of leprechauns, myself. Little. Green. Angry as all get out. Rich little *kitten* too, so they do whatever they want and don't care. Add in the fact that they can draw their own doors and travel wherever they want with them....
  • rwstoneman1
    rwstoneman1 Posts: 32 Member
    I joined the gym a week yesterday and I still feel like everyone is watching me. I'm just ignoring it and thinking that we're all there to work out, so what if I'm the largest person in there?! (also this isn't always the case, people of all shapes and sizes go to the gym). Also, you'll probably find that the people you are convinced are watching you are actually having the exact same fear! :)
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Long walks outdoors are free. . .
  • littlesis412
    littlesis412 Posts: 314 Member
    I like most of Jillian Michael's videos. P90X and Insanity are both videos. In theory you can do weight lifting at home but that requires purchasing equipment. I'd say there's no reason to be afraid of the gym. Maybe you need to find one that's less intimidating? Or go with a friend. I know the first few times I went, I was so nervous and had to have someone else there. But then I realized, no one was watching or cared what I was doing so I had no problem going alone after that. Honestly, when I go to the gym, I don't pay any attention to the other people so why should they? The only time I've ever noticed someone is if they're totally kicking butt and I'm impressed. But I've never looked down on anyone. They're there, they're trying, no one is perfect.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    I admire the heavy guys more than the skinny ones.

And seriously, no-one is looking at you. Meat heads are looking at themselves; the serious ones are absorbed in their own world. Nothing at all to worry about.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    There are tons of things you can do at home if you don't want to join a gym. You could buy dumb bells and lift weights using a Jari Love Ripped dvd or just look for workouts on youtube. I believe 30DS is still available on youtube. You could also search for Befit, Blogilates, or Walk Away The Pounds on youtube. A lot of women like The Firm workouts. Turbo Jam, Brazil Butt Lift, and Zumba are some other choices. You don't have to join a gym. My main suggestion is that you get some weight lifting in whether you do it at home or in a gym.

And I understand feeling self conscious at the gym. My family joined the Y a couple of weeks ago and I'm still avoiding the weight room. If at some point you feel ready to join a gym you could ease into it by going when it's least crowded. Just ask the employees and they'll tell you when they quieter hours are. You could also start out with swimming at the gym if you want to avoid the cardio and weight areas at first. I've been swimming with my family in the evenings and am amazed at how much work it is. No wonder I was always starving when I got out of the pool as a kid.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    You can do lots of great stuff at home -- and cheaper, too. YouTube and other sites are full of free videos. Weights are very cheap at Walmart and Target. I've spent a lot of money on unused gym memberships over the years and I just don't like them. So, exercising at home is for me. It may be for you, too, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, and if even the few dollar weights are too much right now, cans of beans, etc., in socks are an old standard. Here's a cool site on making a homemade weight set: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Homemade-Weight-Set
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    People are thinking about what THEY are doing, not you. I was worried about this same thing at first. To gain confidence, spring for a few sessions with a personal trainer, and or find a work out partner. When I'm at the gym I'm worried about form, breathing and what gives me a good work out. Step out of your comfort zone and go for it!!! YOU can do it. The results are worth it!
  • charissh
    charissh Posts: 91 Member
    Honestly, no one will be watching you, everyone is much more interested in trying to reach their own goals :)

There are all kinds of shapes and sizes and abilities at the gym I go to, from semi-pro athletes to morbidly obese. There are even some people with disabilities who enjoy working out there.

I think if you can steal yourself to go the first time you'll realise it's not so bad and you'll be less and less self conscious with every visit.

I started out using a wii fit to lose some weight before starting the gym or jogging outdoors, especially a game called 'my fitness coach', so that might be a good idea if you can afford it :)
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Not sure of your fitness level so I will recommend based on things I did at each level.

Beginner- The biggest loser has a good circuit that shows modifications to adapt from beginning to above. Also, Gaiam has an abs dvd that includes yoga, pilates and boxing. YouTube has Denise Austin workouts as well-old school, but good.

Intermediate- Jillian Michaels has Fast fix kickboxing which is 3 in 1 for upper, lower and abs. Bob Harper also has Inside Out Method that has 4 dvds in the set to target different things like cardio, butt/thighs, etc.

Intermediate to Advanced- Insanity, Rushfit, Tapout, things of that nature....pricier, but worth it.

That being said.....I had the exact same fear of the gym. I lost 60lbs before I was willing to even walk through the doors. What I have found over the last year is that people really don't care what you are doing there or how you look. They are there to better themselves and get in a good workout for the most part. I have only come across one person that was nasty about people and she quit since. Anyhow, you will have to get out of your own head and just take the plunge if it really is a goal to get into a gym...it is not for everyone so don't feel bad if you don't join, just find other ways to work out. Best wishes!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member

In the meantime, I am enlisting a fitness DVD (not the best I know, but at least it's something!) to help with keeping active. Can anyone recommend a half decent one?!?!!

Good luck with the DVD's...but seriously...nobody is watching you at the gym! Try going in the mornings..its the best time (people are there to do their own thing and get to work).
This discussion has been closed.