Am I "technically" starving myself? Open diary.

Options
Hello Everyone,

I was just wondering if it was so bad if i'm not meeting the 1200 calorie intake minimal.

For example, I slept in till about 1:00 PM yesterday and only had like...626 calories clocked in for the day.

The official start was yesterday so i'm really counting the calories and what-not now. :D

Working extremely hard for my goal for fast results... haha
So I am very determined to stay under the daily goal or at the very most AT it.

Am I being too extreme though? Am I technically "starving" myself?

I'm pretty new to all of this so any advice would be most appreciated. :D

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You've asked the question so you know the answer
  • abickford82
    Options
    One day won't put you in starvation mode. Unless you're doing this on a daily basis, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you're working out though, eat more. Even by looking at your ticker and seeing how much you have to lose (and trust me, I understand I've lost 109lbs.) you need to eat more as you become more active...but just be sure to create a deficit.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    you only started just yesterday. one day of only 626 calories i would consider a fast. eating under 1200 a day is not maintainable. one day won't kill you. a lot of people do occasional fasts for a variety of reasons. but to answer your question-- yeah, under 1200 a day is bad.
  • chancock6
    Options
    Well, one day isn't too bad given how inactive you were. You're supposed to hit 1200, maybe go over A LITTLE, and then work out some. That's why you have an exercise diary, too. Still, I hit 1190 or something and it still yells at me that I'm eating too little. Try to eat the 1200 calories, though; it's important.
  • climbamnt
    climbamnt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Your MFP goal of 1750 is a good number, aim for that.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    You had a couple of days under 700, a handful of days way over your goal and no logging before that?
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Homemade - Sandwich: Whole Wheat Bread, Ham and Gouda Cheese, 1 sandwich
    190 cal
    I think you get it wrong as white roll is around 250 cal, slice of cheeses 75-150cal ham will be similiar
    Kids in Africa are starving, you are on diet.
  • aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    it looks like you're not even making 1,000 on a daily basis. even if you're 5'3 or shorter and sedentary, this is extreme and not good for your body. you're not getting adequate nutrition.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Try to get as close as you reasonably can to your daily goal. Every day, as reasonably consistent as you can. You've got at least a couple years ahead of you to reach your goal weight, you're going to need a sustainable plan. 600 calories is not sustainable. Hell, 1200 really isn't either. Set a moderate deficit and settle in for the long ride.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I've had some vlcds (maybe 3 in the last 6 months?) where I ate around 900-1200 but I don't think one day will do harm. I see you have 150ish pounds to lose. 1200 calories will be absolutely miserable. Do youself a favor and calculate your TDEE and cut from that, my guess is you can eat a lot more than you think.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've looked through your food diary and u are going from one extreme to another, one day 3, 500 calories then the next like 600!! This isn't healthy and u won't lose weight from doing it. I'd stick to your 1750 cals a day for a few weeks and see how u get on. If your losing then stick to it, if your maintaining then drop to 1650cals and try that for a while. You need to find a balance with your food intake as it should be a lifestyle change, not a diet, especially as u plan on losing so much! Good luck!!
  • sarah_lou22
    Options
    one day isn't going to be a big deal. it is repetition. you'll start to get really tired first and then the rest will follow. it may seem like a great answer to the age old question, but I would seriously not recommend it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Working hard for fast results can actually be counter-productive in the long run. Not only are you more likely to burn out faster and quit or binge, but your body can only burn so much fat at any given time. There's a reason that 1-2 pounds is the maximum safe amount to lose per week without doctor supervision. You risk all kinds of side effects from vitamin deficiency (even with multivitamins, your body just can't absorb enough without food), hormone changes, hair loss, muscle loss, lethargy, etc.

I'll agree with everyone above that one or two days way under your calorie goal is okay. But making it a habit every day, or even something to strive for daily, is not going to be healthy in the long run. Set a goal and meet it every day. If you're working out then set that goal a little higher to help fuel your activity. Treat your body right if you want results.
  • annakow
    Options
    this is the way! yes!
  • annakow
    Options
    I've looked through your food diary and u are going from one extreme to another, one day 3, 500 calories then the next like 600!! This isn't healthy and u won't lose weight from doing it. I'd stick to your 1750 cals a day for a few weeks and see how u get on. If your losing then stick to it, if your maintaining then drop to 1650cals and try that for a while. You need to find a balance with your food intake as it should be a lifestyle change, not a diet, especially as u plan on losing so much! Good luck!!

this is the way! yes!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Starving no. Not eating enough, hell yes. Why on earth are you only having a tiny sandwich for breakfast and a bar and a few nuts for supper? You do not need to torture yourself to lose weight! Please, please, please, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
    It will show you how to figure out a SUSTAINABLE calorie deficit. I am eating 3 or 4 times more than you and I still lose weight! Look at my diary. You can not keep up what you are doing, it's too much. Start an exercise program, something you enjoy, and fuel those workouts with yummy food! :flowerforyou:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your MFP goal of 1750 is a good number, aim for that.

This. And as others have pointed out "homemade" entries are horribly unreliable and inaccurate. If you make a sandwich try logging the individual ingredients as best as you can. If you foresee eating it a lot, you can save it as a meal or make it up in the recipe section and then just add your typical sandwich every day.
  • MissRavenD
    Options
    Oh yes, i'm not worried about one day by any means!

It's just that some days I don't feel particularly hungry...

Or I go into a mental "Starvation" mode.

I start to freak out about the numbers and thus will eat too little.

Hard to believe with me being over 300 pounds huh!?

I've finally gotten a reality check and am working to get those pounds off! I AM TOO YOUNG TO WEIGH THIS MUCH! WHO IS WITH ME!?!?!? *cheers Water glass* :D
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Some days you're eating close to 4000 calories. This is ridiculous and hard on your body. Consistency is key. Pick a net calorie target and stick to it every for a few months to get real, long-term results. 1200 is probably too low and won't be sustainable long term. You should probably be aiming to net 1500-1800 a day for weight loss.

Also, skip all the processed junk and sugary drinks! They are the main contributor to your high calorie days. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins, complex carbs. Come on, we all know this!