Excerise = Cardio Only?

Options
Imfineru
Imfineru Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Began my fitness routine on August 1st which consists of 3 days a week at the gym - 4 if I find the time. Out of those three day, I spend day one with 60 minutes of cardio. Day 2 is 1 hour of weights - 3 sets of upper and lower body. . Day 3 is 1 set of weights, and 30 minutes of cardio.

Now my question is this: I just recently started counting the calories on MFP ( I find the barcode scanner invaluable as I am very impatient) and set up my goals at 1 1\2 pounds a week loss with a 750 calorie deficit, but now I am a bit confused on the question: "How much exercise in a week". I notice when I add my weight days in, there are no calories burned.

So should I keep the exercise setting at 3 days, or only use 1.5?

My weight on my start date was 217. My weight two days ago was 210. My TDEE is 3103.

Thanks,
Chris

Replies

• shriderp
    Options
    Actually i had this question too: the "exercise" section only add cardio calories....and not pushups etc! i'd like to know the answer to this as well!! (newbie meself!)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    From everything I have heard and read, it is way to hard too determine calorie burn with weights.
    What I do is set my activity level to 'works out 3 times a week' to cover my weights and one bike ride (and do not add their calorie burn) Any exercise above those three times I add the calorie burn to my exercise log.
  • vamari22
    vamari22 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, MFP only counts the exercise in the cardio section toward your weekly goal. A few people on here have mentioned that the reason for it is because calories burned while weight training will vary greatly depending upon your current weight and the intensity of your workout. I guess MFP isn't currently set up/equipped to accurately calculate that.

What I do when I do strength training workouts is catalog it in my exercise log as strength training under the cardio section. I feel that while it's probably not a 100% accurate reflection of my calories burned, it helps me better track my weekly exercise against the goals MFP has set for me.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    PS: I still log my bike ride and strength training days in my exercise log so I can keep track of TIME, but I log them as 1 calorie burned.
    The "above and beyond activities" I log as their full burn.
  • rudarbe
    rudarbe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't calculate your strength training as a burn. You can enter, "strength training/weight lifting" into cardio, but it's notoriously inaccurate. I suggest you buy a heart rate monitor. It's well worth the investment. Good luck!
  • KristinNicole82
    KristinNicole82 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I would not recommend just doing cardio. You are going to want to lift in order to build muscle, but if you keep your heart rate up you will burn more calories while doing it. In between my sets, as long as I am not maxing out that day, I do cardio like mountain climbers. It keeps you moving and your heart rate elevated.
  • Imfineru
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick responses. I did not notice the strength training option in the cardio section, I think I might use that. Being that it is "notoriously incarcerate" maybe I will drop it down by 100 calories.

So I am guessing I should keep the exercise setting at 3, and just add strength training into Cardio log on weights only days. I'll minus 100 calories since it is innacurate (@rudarbe is the inaccuracy too low or too high?), and move on from there.

Thanks again!!!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would document the strength training as it relates to your personal goals of doing strength training so many days a week, etc. But I wouldn't worry abouttracking calorie burn for this. There probably is calorie burn going on, but that's not your true goal with strength training so I'd just document it to show your personal commitment to regular strength training.
  • samammay
    Options
    I never log weight lifting, but yesterday after I finished weights and got on the elliptical, the first reading on my HR was 133, so I must have been doing something right. :)
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick responses. I did not notice the strength training option in the cardio section, I think I might use that. Being that it is "notoriously incarcerate" maybe I will drop it down by 100 calories.

So I am guessing I should keep the exercise setting at 3, and just add strength training into Cardio log on weights only days. I'll minus 100 calories since it is innacurate (@rudarbe is the inaccuracy too low or too high?), and move on from there.

Thanks again!!!

Are you using TDEE method to determine you calories or using the MFP goal/activity setting?
    If you are using TDEE with the TDEE activity setting of "exercise X times a week" you are not supposed to eat back those calories from exercising.
    If you use MFP settings/calculations then you are to eat back those exercise calories.
  • Imfineru
    Options
    Oh boy. This question has just totally confused me. For now, I will use the MFP goal settings.
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Oh boy. This question has just totally confused me. For now, I will use the MFP goal settings.

LOL, sorry to confuse you! I saw you had mentioned your TDEE in your first post, but then mentioned what seemed you were using MFP settings, so I wondered which.
    It doesn't matter which one, as long as you pick one and do it correctly.

You'll do FINE!!
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    My personal experience (everyone is different) is when I want to drop lbs....I stick to strictly cardio. Elliptical, stair machine, jogging. When I lost my initial 35 lbs, I did cardio twice a day. Early morning and evening. dropped 35 lbs in just a few months. Once I reached my goal weight, I decided to start lifting. I did the stonglifts 5x5 program and did quite well. Gained lbs but, didn't gain in my waist. now I'm on a mix of cardio and weights.
  • tleach731
    Options
    I use this website that lists a ton of activities for calories burned. Weight lifting is on the list. I use it all the time and believe it's accurate as I have not gained.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • jsgulick40
    jsgulick40 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    KEEP LIFTING!!! Your body burns calories when you do, but MFP doesn't log it -- but that doesn't mean you aren't losing calories!! Keep up the great work!!
  • easy2putt
    easy2putt Posts: 36 Member
    Options

Thanks again!!!

Are you using TDEE method to determine you calories or using the MFP goal/activity setting?
    If you are using TDEE with the TDEE activity setting of "exercise X times a week" you are not supposed to eat back those calories from exercising.
    If you use MFP settings/calculations then you are to eat back those exercise calories.

I'm new to the MFP too, could you explain this to me further.

So for example, my TDEE says I should be 2697 (Moderate exercise 3-5 times/week - I do the Insanity program 6 days..but usually the Saturday program is mellow)

My MFP is manually set right now at 2100.

If I follow MFP and eat 2100 cal/day and then exercise and burn 500 calories then I'm back to 1600, so I need to eat 500 again?

BUT, If I follow the TDEE and eat 2700 (est. above to make it easier), I don't need to worry about plugging in the exercise calories?

Is this correct?
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Push ups, sit ups etc. are considerd calisthenics...this is listed under cardio
  • 3foldchord
    Options
    Thank you all for the quick responses. I did not notice the strength training option in the cardio section, I think I might use that. Being

I'm new to the MFP too, could you explain this to me further.

So for example, my TDEE says I should be 2697 (Moderate exercise 3-5 times/week - I do the Insanity program 6 days..but usually the Saturday program is mellow)

My MFP is manually set right now at 2100.

If I follow MFP and eat 2100 cal/day and then exercise and burn 500 calories then I'm back to 1600, so I need to eat 500 again?

BUT, If I follow the TDEE and eat 2700 (est. above to make it easier), I don't need to worry about plugging in the exercise calories?

Is this correct?

CORRECT! (Well, from personal experience and reading a few things)

As you have noticed, using TDEE -x% gives you MORE calories, because it figures in the extra calories you will need for your 3-5xs a week exercise.

MFP gives you FEWER calories, so you need to replace the ones you burn during workouts.

You got this!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    What you set or an exercise goal on MFP has no effect on what you're given for daily calories - it's just a general goal. The only time it impacts your calories is when you actually log the exercise.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I use an Heart Rate Monitor to get my Calorie intake...

You can also use the "Strength Training" option under the Cardio section. You DO burn calories when weight training but if you just log in "what" you do in the Strength Training section, it wont count it as calories burned.

I highly suggest a Heart Rate Monitor if you really want to know for sure.
This discussion has been closed.