MFP Biking Group-7/14/2008

Options
shorerider
shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
Another new weeks, gang! How's everyone feeling? Looks like some of us got out riding last week, even if I took a break! But, I'm back on the pedals today!

Got in 18.5 miles this morning--hubby even went along so it took me longer to do it since I had to go slow for him but it was fun to have company!

Planning on doing maybe 30 tomorrow, then 20 Wednesday, then 45-50 on Thursday!

This week so far:

Monday 18.5

Replies

• shorerider
    Options
    Another new weeks, gang! How's everyone feeling? Looks like some of us got out riding last week, even if I took a break! But, I'm back on the pedals today!

Got in 18.5 miles this morning--hubby even went along so it took me longer to do it since I had to go slow for him but it was fun to have company!

Planning on doing maybe 30 tomorrow, then 20 Wednesday, then 45-50 on Thursday!

This week so far:

Monday 18.5
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Last week I did 59.6 miles including 27 miles during a triathlon. I had to slow down my ride twice during the race for ambulances coming through to pick up a bunch of riders who wiped out on a pretty steep turning descent.

I am planning to do a Century ride on October 4 in Salisbury, MD, so I'm going to be increasing my miles each week. I plan to ride at least 60 miles this week.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Last week I did 59.6 miles including 27 miles during a triathlon. I had to slow down my ride twice during the race for ambulances coming through to pick up a bunch of riders who wiped out on a pretty steep turning descent.

I am planning to do a Century ride on October 4 in Salisbury, MD, so I'm going to be increasing my miles each week. I plan to ride at least 60 miles this week.

Hey, I'm considering doing the Seagull, too but am not yet decided. If I do, I'll probably do the Metric Century though and not the full century, as there's another ride 2 weeks later I want to do, too.
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I used to ride a couple century rides a year back in my high school & college days. I am looking to get back into it now that my wife finally has a bike so we don't have an excuse to NOT do it.

Reading your cycling challenge is making me seriously think about riding my bike to work (about an 11 mile ride) despite the heat. I'm just trying to see how I can carry my laptop with me so it will not get damaged in transit.

We got out last night with the family (youngest rider is 8) and got in over 6 miles. It's a good first start!

I'm not going to commit to any mileage right now, but I will say that we will go on at least 3 rides this week ... if I can ride to work then that will be a bonus.
  • shorerider
    Options
    I used to ride a couple century rides a year back in my high school & college days. I am looking to get back into it now that my wife finally has a bike so we don't have an excuse to NOT do it.

Reading your cycling challenge is making me seriously think about riding my bike to work (about an 11 mile ride) despite the heat. I'm just trying to see how I can carry my laptop with me so it will not get damaged in transit.

We got out last night with the family (youngest rider is 8) and got in over 6 miles. It's a good first start!

I'm not going to commit to any mileage right now, but I will say that we will go on at least 3 rides this week ... if I can ride to work then that will be a bonus.

Awesome! Another one joins the biking gang!

dancingparty.gif

Soon, we'll have to get MFP jerseys made up! :happy:
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    My goal for this week will be a little higher - I'm thinking 35 miles. Its not a huge increase, and its actually less than I did last week. I just wanna make sure I don't stress it too much.

Not sure if I'm getting any rides in today though - its icky out. Great puddle jumping weather though!
  • shorerider
    Options
    My goal for this week will be a little higher - I'm thinking 35 miles. Its not a huge increase, and its actually less than I did last week. I just wanna make sure I don't stress it too much.

Not sure if I'm getting any rides in today though - its icky out. Great puddle jumping weather though!

Aim for 10% increase per week--any more than that and you're risking burning out your legs. Trust me!
  • msarro
    Options

Aim for 10% increase per week--any more than that and you're risking burning out your legs. Trust me!

Not too worried, I actually rode more than that last week and my legs are fine. If anything is sore, its actually my bum. I need to invest in a good gel seat. I figure this will bring me in line with what I can handle and I can start moving up next week :)
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    My goal for the week is 100 miles.

Monday - 12 miles
  • familybugs
    familybugs Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I only got in 56 miles last week... Hope to have a better week!

Today(MON)- 16 miles
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Okay Monday: 6.5 miles with a 1 and 3 year old in tow on my trusty old 1985 Peugeot

PIC-0065.jpg
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Monday - 12 miles & walked/ran 6 miles
  • shorerider
    Options
    Okay Monday: 6.5 miles with a 1 and 3 year old in tow on my trusty old 1985 Peugeot

PIC-0065.jpg

Sweet bike!

I want a road bike so bad! I love my hybrid but deprimetriste294230fr.gif I WANT A ROAD BIKE!
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options

Hey, I'm considering doing the Seagull, too but am not yet decided. If I do, I'll probably do the Metric Century though and not the full century, as there's another ride 2 weeks later I want to do, too.

Shorerider and jadaigle:

I plan to ride the Seagull century too!!!
    Wouldn't it be fun to ride together and train for it together?
    I hope you are not too fast for me. I know shorerider will leave me way behind:wink: and it looks as if jadaigle is in great shape too, so you'll have too take it easy on the old man. :wink:

I am sure the ride is easier in a group.

Shorerider: let me know what your measurements are. I have a Trek 1200 Aluminum 1200 race bike. 56" frame I believe. Needs to b5 years old, rode 3 of the 5 years. Needs to be dusted and cleaned, but it is in good shape. It is just sitting here collecting dust. I will not use it anymore since I have the recumbent. I am 5'11 but have a very short inseam. Might fit you.You can have it as a reward for riding the century. How's that as a motivation?
  • stschulz
    Options
    No miles for me this week. Rest week. :cry:

Sorry.
  • msarro
    Options
    Yesterday sucked. The clouds couldn't decide whether or not they wanted to rain, so every 10 minutes or so we'd start getting drizzles. Managed to get in 2.6 miles in a short commute to a friend's house and back. I have a feeling my cycling week won't get to get started til tomorrow since I have to go pick up my car at my parents place tonight... I may get another itty bitty ride in. Who knows.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Tuesday: 22.5 miles--had a great ride! Was able to maintain average speed of 13.4mph, which is my highest average speed to date. Taking tomorrow off from riding but will go to gym

Total for week--41 miles so far this week.

Steff--thanks for the offer of the the bike but I think that will be too tall for me. I've got stubby little legs (blame it on hundreds of years of watermen on both sides of the family!--not great for riding but perfect for walking around on boats). Anyway, but I'll check when I get a chance. I wouldn't take it for free though but if it does come out to fit me, I might make you an offer.

We'll have to get together for the Seagull. I wasn't going to do it but I think it will be fun! They say there' over 6,000 riders! That should be something to see! I'm only doing the metric century though--64 miles.
  • stschulz
    Options
    Tuesday: 22.5 miles--had a great ride! Was able to maintain average speed of 13.4mph, which is my highest average speed to date. Taking tomorrow off from riding but will go to gym

See how a week break helps?

As to the bike: check what size frame you need and then we can talk.

Seagull: Even if I can not persuade you by then to ride the full 100 we should at least meet. I might not have the time when school starts anyway to get up to 100 and end up just riding the metric. But provided I get that weekend off I'll be there.

Steff (bored and cranky 'cause he can't ride this week)
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Monday - 12 miles & walked/ran 6 miles
    Tuesday - 13.1 miles & walked 2.5 miles
  • stschulz
    Options
    WOW Baboo you rock!!!!

Run AND bike?

Add a few rounds in the pool and you'll be a triathlete!