• kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Bump to share with friends
  • HacheraTsarine
    HacheraTsarine Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Read it today.

The author is a moron if he thinks anyone follows those to the letter.

What about young girls shriveling away because of thinspo?

hypergymnasia is a real issue too. There are people who are going to take those images at heart and follow them as a life philosophy, just like there are people who feel validated by thinspo images.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I liked it.

I'm tried of all the "motivational" quotes posted with a photoshopped body. It's no better than a silly magazine.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    This should be required reading when people sign up for this site.
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great link!
  • AbbeyDove
    AbbeyDove Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I really found that helpful to read.
  • EmilyAnn09
    Options
    Read it today.

The author is a moron if he thinks anyone follows those to the letter.

What about young girls shriveling away because of thinspo?

hypergymnasia is a real issue too. There are people who are going to take those images at heart and follow them as a life philosophy, just like there are people who feel validated by thinspo images.

Exactly! Spend some time researching the effects of advertising on people, especially young people (girls and boys), subliminally. Eventually, if you see enough of these, you are affected. You may not follow them to the letter, but you begin to think you aren't good enough, and that is just wrong. We are all amazing, regardless of what our bodies look like.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I think that some of this is still overreacting. I think that a majority of these are better than some "motivational" images I've seen in the past. I understand this train of thought, but pushing your limits here and there aren't going to result in one hurting themself. I've bench pressed with so much weight I've BUSTED BLOOD VESSELS in my eyes and face. This probably isn't healthy, but if I hadn't pushed myself harder that day I wouldn't have made a personal record on stage and made a WORLD RECORD in the bench press for my powerlifting association. Should I have been afraid of what looked like some slight red freckles? Nope... I still got the job done and passed what had been a mental bench max for months on stage that day.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
  • SweetKisses1988
    Options
    Interesting - loved it - thanks for sharing!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to read tomorrow.
  • 00sarah
    00sarah Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    One of my friends shared this & I passed it along. I also really enjoyed the link to the massage therapist. Excellent read, I actually came away feeling >gasp< BETTER about my body!
  • biggirl1000
    biggirl1000 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I'm more annoyed by photos like this:

8580119670_9e9f20d29f_z.jpg
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Love this!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    Eh. The author is free to his opinion. I personally enjoy the fitspiration, or whatever, photos. I continually try to push my body to its limits. I love the pain. I want to suffer the day after my workout. I lift 5-6x per week because it is what I want to do. And if any fiber in me that can be called upon to push out another rep, then I have another rep before my exercise is finished. I know what I want my body to be, and it is not that. And I want it for me. Hell, there is nobody else that gives a chit what I look like. It is all because it is what I want. Not because some poster made me do it. And if those little posters can keep me motivated on those rare days when I just don't want to do it, all the better. My life, my body, my pain, my pride.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    meh. while i read it i pictured the guy who wrote it wearing this t-shirt

ShLSZyj.jpg
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    "Central heating is for quitters! FITNESS!!"~ still laughing! This made my night!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I hate motivational posters, so they all offended me.