Hosting Football Sunday - HELP

Options
Ok - I am having 8 people over (big eaters) for the Redskins game this Sunday. I need some good recipes for appetizers. I know I can do a veggie tray, but I want a chip and dip or some crockpot meatbals... or something!! I just don't want really cheap and unhealthy meals.

Also, I know I'm going to marinade a flank steak. I need good suggestions for marinades that really soak up flavor in 2 days! Please please please help :)

Replies

• MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I made flank steak for dinner last night, I used the recipe below for the marinade. It was sensational!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Marinated-Flank-Steak/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=121150334&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2013-09-02&prop28=Feature_1&prop29=Detail&me=1
  • oreyna
    oreyna Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    We do grilled boneless chicken wings with dipping sauces on the side. Pan grill some boneless chicken breasts and then cut them into chunks. There you go!!! My family loves them.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Look up MOINK balls :) They are bacon wrapped meatballs. Yummy, high protein and fat, but low carb. As always everything in moderation. Grillmates has a wonderful chipotle marinade that I swear by. Veggie tray is a must to give yourself some options! Also consider a cheese tray :) Good luck and have fun!!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Ok - I am having 8 people over (big eaters) for the Redskins game this Sunday. I need some good recipes for appetizers. I know I can do a veggie tray, but I want a chip and dip or some crockpot meatbals... or something!! I just don't want really cheap and unhealthy meals.

Also, I know I'm going to marinade a flank steak. I need good suggestions for marinades that really soak up flavor in 2 days! Please please please help :)

Arancini, duck liver mousse and crostini, mini buttermilk biscuits with poached egg yolks and country ham, queso fundido with rajas and chorizo
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I make my own spicy and sweet BBQ sauce:

One 6-oz can tomato paste
    2 tbsp hickory liquid smoke (the 2 tbsp is not a typo)
    ½ cup apple cider vinegar (or balsamic vinegar if you want a darker shade of sauce)
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper (cut down to 1 tsp if you don't want the sauce to be fiery)
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a tall screw-top container and shake vigorously until well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to serve. You can heat the sauce up in the microwave if you want it warm sauce. Serve it with anything you can imagine. :)

I also use this sauce to make pulled BBQ pork in the crockpot. I cut a 4-lb pork loin in half, stick both portions in the crockpot, dump the sauce over it, and cook on Low for 8 hours (12 if the loin is frozen). Made this for the Seahawks' opening game on Sunday and we are STILL consuming leftovers today. :laugh:

:flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,675 Member
    Options
    I would do a bunch of vegetable based dips, like hummous and tzaziki and salsa. The non dieters can have them with nachos, and everybody else can have them with raw veg.

Here are some alternative dip recipes I like.
    http://vintagecookbooktrials.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/boiled-carrot-salad/
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/simple-white-bean-spread
  • daviese89
    Options
    haha..that's cute. I'm not a chef! I don't even know what 1/2 of that is!
  • daviese89
    Options
    I make my own spicy and sweet BBQ sauce:

One 6-oz can tomato paste
    2 tbsp hickory liquid smoke (the 2 tbsp is not a typo)
    ½ cup apple cider vinegar (or balsamic vinegar if you want a darker shade of sauce)
    1 cup packed light brown sugar
    1 tbsp ground cayenne pepper (cut down to 1 tsp if you don't want the sauce to be fiery)
    1 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    Salt and pepper to taste

Combine everything in a tall screw-top container and shake vigorously until well mixed. Refrigerate until ready to serve. You can heat the sauce up in the microwave if you want it warm sauce. Serve it with anything you can imagine. :)

I also use this sauce to make pulled BBQ pork in the crockpot. I cut a 4-lb pork loin in half, stick both portions in the crockpot, dump the sauce over it, and cook on Low for 8 hours (12 if the loin is frozen). Made this for the Seahawks' opening game on Sunday and we are STILL consuming leftovers today. :laugh:

:flowerforyou:

YUM! That sounds so good.. thank you for sharing!!!
  • daviese89
    Options

This looks so similar to a flank steak my mom makes. We have a winner!!
  • daviese89
    Options
    We do grilled boneless chicken wings with dipping sauces on the side. Pan grill some boneless chicken breasts and then cut them into chunks. There you go!!! My family loves them.

What kinds of dips do you use? Do you make them or pick them up from the store? Make them hot or cold? I could maybe do like a wing bar, have a few bowls with dips and people can toss their own?
  • daviese89
    Options
    I would do a bunch of vegetable based dips, like hummous and tzaziki and salsa. The non dieters can have them with nachos, and everybody else can have them with raw veg.

Here are some alternative dip recipes I like.
    http://vintagecookbooktrials.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/boiled-carrot-salad/
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/simple-white-bean-spread

Thanks for sharing. I'll save this for me, but the 18-19 year old boys who aren't dieting won't touch these dips haha too healthy for them :)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Ummm....it's football. If they are "big eaters" as you said, they are probably going to want traditional football-eating food i.e. chips, wings, etc. Is it healthy? Nope. But as another poster said, everything in moderation. Have some veggie trays and hummus for people who want the healthy stuff but if you have NO traditional football food, people will likely not be coming to your football watching party next time.
  • daviese89
    Options
    Look up MOINK balls :) They are bacon wrapped meatballs. Yummy, high protein and fat, but low carb. As always everything in moderation. Grillmates has a wonderful chipotle marinade that I swear by. Veggie tray is a must to give yourself some options! Also consider a cheese tray :) Good luck and have fun!!

those....sound....so...dangerous!!
  • Acg67
    Options

Then you prob should have specified you only wanted simple minded food recipes
  • a84vikes
    a84vikes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower wings in the oven for myself and order real wings for the family and guests. You can google the recipe. Taste good too.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I found this on pinterest and it's pretty easy and really you can't go wrong with ranch, bacon and cheese. You could probably sub either fat free sour cream or yougurt (plain or greek) for an even lighter version:
    Cheddar Bacon Dip
    16 oz. light sour cream
    1 packet ranch dressing mix
    3 oz. package of bacon bits
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

This is a great dip, spicy, and goes well with pita or pretzel chips:
    Place 16 ounces of Greek yogurt, a handful of cilantro, the juice of one lemon, and half of a 7-ounce can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Add sea salt to taste.

Found this as well. I don't like the texture of ground chicken but ground turkey could easily be substituted:

1 pound lean ground chicken
    1 egg
    1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
    1 carrot
    1 stalk celery
    2 green onions
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 ounce crumbled blue cheese
    1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or your favorite), divided
    1 tablespoon butter

Preheat the oven to 350F.
    Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
    Cut the celery, carrot and green onion into large chunks and throw into a food processor.
    Pulse to chop into small bits.
    In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, 1/2 the hot sauce and the blue cheese.
    Gently fold together to combine, but don't overmix.
    Form the mixture into small meatballs - you should get about 28 small meatballs.
    Place the meatballs on the cookie sheet.
    Bake for 20 minutes.
    While the meatballs are baking, put the rest of the hot sauce and the butter into a microwave safe dish.
    Microwave about 30 seconds, until butter melts.
    Stir well to combine.
    Remove the meatballs from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
    Place the meatballs onto a serving dish and drizzle with butter/hot sauce mixture.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    forget the food
    LETS DRINK!
  • damedame
    damedame Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    just make sure you have tons of cheese for the Packers victory over the redskins :):)
  • Acg67
    Options

Yes, because EVERYONE assumes that duck liver and poached egg yolks should be served at a normal watch party. :huh: Get over yourself and quit being a condescending douche.

She specifically specified she didn't want anything cheap, which eliminates normal game fare such as nachos, wings etc. Sounds normal to me, right?
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options

Don't listen to him, OP. Hey, I'm a foodie and now I have to go look up 'rajas' -- oh, I see. Harrumph ... could've just said poblano peppers.