Am i wasting my time in the gym doing weights?

Options

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes you can gain muscle that way, but you've got to make sure you're challenging yourself during your workouts and that your diet is in place to help you make gains.

You stress your muscles in the weight room, and build them in the kitchen. Good luck.
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    What attitude? try reading my posts before commenting, i asked a simple question and got advice on things that i didn't need, i am limited in what i can do and what i can use, i have said that several times, i am not sure why you feel the need to comment tbh
  • hilts1969
    Options
    cheers fella just wanted to know if what i was doing would at least benefit me in some way, developing big muscles is for some and good luck to them it takes a lot of dedication, my goals are running was just hoping to avoid the not been fed for two months look. i know i would not stick with or be able to follow a free weight program with bulk and cut and managing by diet to certain levels etc
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    You're not going to add muscle unless you're eating at a surplus, but if you're eating at a surplus, you're not going to lose weight. So you need to pick a goal.

From what I gather, you mostly just want to lose body fat (also what some people call "toning") so that you can actually see your muscles, which are wasting away with all the dieting and running. In that case, eat at a moderate deficit, including lots of protein. If you're burning a lot of calories with the running, you have to eat more if you want to preserve your muscle mass.

And I'm going to suggest that if you really want this, do everything within your power to find time to do heavy compound lifts. Go to the gym at different times to figure out when you will have the best access to the equipment. Use dumbbells or kettlebells, and do unilateral work. Whatever you have to do to get some squatting, hip hinging (e.g. deadlifts), pushing, and pulling, do it. It won't be easy or convenient, but if you really want it, you'll find a way, just like everyone else here who has a million other obligations vying for our time.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yep, cardio is better
  • hilts1969
    Options
    You're not going to add muscle unless you're eating at a surplus, but if you're eating at a surplus, you're not going to lose weight. So you need to pick a goal.

From what I gather, you mostly just want to lose body fat (also what some people call "toning") so that you can actually see your muscles, which are wasting away with all the dieting and running. In that case, eat at a moderate deficit, including lots of protein. If you're burning a lot of calories with the running, you have to eat more if you want to preserve your muscle mass.

And I'm going to suggest that if you really want this, do everything within your power to find time to do heavy compound lifts. Go to the gym at different times to figure out when you will have the best access to the equipment. Use dumbbells or kettlebells, and do unilateral work. Whatever you have to do to get some squatting, hip hinging (e.g. deadlifts), pushing, and pulling, do it. It won't be easy or convenient, but if you really want it, you'll find a way, just like everyone else here who has a million other obligations vying for our time.

I do split shifts mate my gym time is set in stone, when i'm in the free weights are being hogged by the guys who are really into it and good luck to them, i have never had fat arms legs in my life, i lose it off my face and gut,when i get to 12 and half stone which is as low as i should go really at 6 2 i look just skinny, bit off definition would be fine, strangely when i lose weight the amounts i lift crappy that they are don't diminish, i dont get weaker

surely doing 65kg for example on bench press 3 times a week would have some effect as opposxed to doing nothing? i get the post workout pump look so it must do something?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    It is as i thought really too complicated and time consuming

That's the attitude!

You're totally ready for this.
  • hilts1969
    Options
    It is as i thought really too complicated and time consuming

That's the attitude!

You're totally ready for this.

bizarre
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I did machine weights for the last year while cutting.

I got stronger, not weaker. My muscles got better defined due to a combination of cutting the fat off them and the 'pump'. My body fat dropped at almost the same rate as my overall mass - meaning I lost very little lean mass (some loss is almost inevitable when cutting, however). What month to month gains in lean mass I saw were sufficiently small to chalk up to measurement error, but perhaps there were times when I managed to eke out some small gain.

***Stop reading now if you absolutely closed your mind to the possibility of free weights.***

I've now started free weights. My goal also is not to build excess bulk, but to get stronger. I do the stronglifts program (5 sets x 5 reps) for precisely that reason. I, too, do a lot of running and it's becoming increasingly important to me.

What am I getting that I didn't get before? First my workouts are a lot faster. By using compound lifts I don't need to do dozens upon dozens of reps of various exercises. Second I am working my stabilizer muscles now, which I wasn't before. I can lift much less with free weights than with machines, because I'm having to learn to stabilize the weights. What does this tell me? It tells me that by lifting free weights I am gaining greater control of my body, which will help my running, and will reduce my chance of injury.
  • hilts1969
    Options

I got stronger, not weaker. My muscles got better defined due to a combination of cutting the fat off them and the 'pump'. My body fat dropped at almost the same rate as my overall mass - meaning I lost very little lean mass (some loss is almost inevitable when cutting, however).

***Stop reading now if you absolutely closed your mind to the possibility of free weights.***

I've just started free weights. My goal also is not to build excess bulk, but to get stronger. I work in the 5 rep range for precisely that reason. I, too, do a lot of running and it's becoming increasingly important to me.

What am I getting that I didn't get before? First my workouts are a lot faster. By using compound lifts I don't need to do dozens upon dozens of reps of various exercise. Second I am working my stabilizer muscles now, which I wasn't before. I can lift much less with free weights than with machines. What does this tell me? It tells me that by lifting free weights I am going to get more stable on my feet, which will help my running, and will reduce the chance of injury.

By the way, people will be much more likely to help you if you can that stinky attitude you are taking with people trying to give you genuine advice.

I have this thing where i prefer people to actually read my posts and reply to what i am asking, i do the same to others it just stops people wasting their time

for the umpteenth time i asked if the weight machines i was using would be beneficial to what i wanted to achieve which wasnt a great deal

simple really but some seen determined to give me advice that i didnt ask for like you have just done, your first part was helpful, if you asked me how to change a car tyre and i told you how to change a headlight bulb that would be a waste of time, but thanks for mentioning the free weights again just in case i missed it the other times
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

I got stronger, not weaker. My muscles got better defined due to a combination of cutting the fat off them and the 'pump'. My body fat dropped at almost the same rate as my overall mass - meaning I lost very little lean mass (some loss is almost inevitable when cutting, however).

I've just started free weights. My goal also is not to build excess bulk, but to get stronger. I work in the 5 rep range for precisely that reason. I, too, do a lot of running and it's becoming increasingly important to me.

What am I getting that I didn't get before? First my workouts are a lot faster. By using compound lifts I don't need to do dozens upon dozens of reps of various exercise. Second I am working my stabilizer muscles now, which I wasn't before. I can lift much less with free weights than with machines. What does this tell me? It tells me that by lifting free weights I am going to get more stable on my feet, which will help my running, and will reduce the chance of injury.

By the way, people will be much more likely to help you if you can that stinky attitude you are taking with people trying to give you genuine advice.

I have this thing where i prefer people to actually read my posts and reply to what i am asking, i do the same to others it just stops people wasting their time

for the umpteenth time i asked if the weight machines i was using would be beneficial to what i wanted to achieve which wasnt a great deal

simple really but some seen determined to give me advice that i didnt ask for like you have just done, your first part was helpful, if you asked me how to change a car tyre and i told you how to change a headlight bulb that would be a waste of time, but thanks for mentioning the free weights again just in case i missed it the other times

You're a very rude person with a bad attitude. You understand that, right?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You came to the thread expecting a certain answer and were upset when you didn't get that answer.

You say you have a certain amount of time to spend in the gym every week, and no more. The reality is that how you are currently choosing to spend that time is far, far less effective than how you could be spending that time.

If you open your mind to the possibility of actually changing something you're doing, instead of getting angry with the people who suggest that what you are doing is not ideal, you may hear what these people are saying.
  • hilts1969
    Options

You don't read posts properly, hardly my fault
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

You don't read posts properly, hardly my fault

I read posts perfectly well.

It happens that I am in almost precisely the same position as you, with similar goals and time constraints.

Foolishly, I thought to help you out by offering some sound advice based on personal experience. In exchange, you give me grief. At least I now know to avoid your future threads, and I'm sure many others will also. All the best getting further advice.
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    Any lifting you do is better than nothing, but you're not going to stimulate enough muscle fibers with that limited routine to see much visible change in your physique.

You'll need more variety and more volume to see noticeable gains.
  • floareaciprian
    floareaciprian Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If your body is not accustomed to weight lifting, you will gain muscle even if your on a caloric deficit; i know this from my own experience. It will work for probably the first year. After that, maybe do a a clean bulk. I hate bulking and getting shredded, I'm a stay lean all year round type of guy. And to answer your question: of course you'll see muscle gains doing weight training.
  • hilts1969
    Options

You came to the thread expecting a certain answer and were upset when you didn't get that answer.

You say you have a certain amount of time to spend in the gym every week, and no more. The reality is that how you are currently choosing to spend that time is far, far less effective than how you could be spending that time.

If you open your mind to the possibility of actually changing something you're doing, instead of getting angry with the people who suggest that what you are doing is not ideal, you may hear what these people are saying.

Last time really as my head hurts from banging it on a brick wall, go to gym during gap in shifts have 15 mins before run and 15 mins after run to do weights, the only weights available to me are the machines, my choice is machine only or nothing, i wanted to know if these were a help to me, didnt ask for anything else, it couldnt be more simpler, Not angry just bewildered that people cant see what is in black and white in front of them, if you cant or dont want to advise me fine dont

you may think my attitude is bad fair enough but not listening to people isnt a plus to ones character either
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    I have a certain time window on those 3 days so i do 3 of those weights, run, then do the other weights, in between the upper body stuff i work my legs, i am not bothered about getting big just a bit of muscle and not losing strength with the weight loss, once i get under 13 stone i tend to look to scrawny

What you're doing is just inefficient--no other way to describe it. I do think you're wasting your time, unfortunately. If your time is truly valuable and important, you need to utilize it very wisely. You're just doing a little bit of everything, and it's just not going to get you very far. However, you do seem content with your program, and happiness is important too...so to each their own. :)
  • hilts1969
    Options
    Any lifting you do is better than nothing, but you're not going to stimulate enough muscle fibers with that limited routine to see much visible change in your physique.

You'll need more variety and more volume to see noticeable gains.

Thanks
  • hilts1969
    Options
    If your body is not accustomed to weight lifting, you will gain muscle even if your on a caloric deficit; i know this from my own experience. It will work for probably the first year. After that, maybe do a a clean bulk. I hate bulking and getting shredded, I'm a stay lean all year round type of guy. And to answer your question: of course you'll see muscle gains doing weight training.

Cheers mate something is better than nothing just wanted to know i would get something out of it