Do you have an age range that you consider old

I was talking with a safety guy at work about an employee slip and fall. He read the report and said oh she is 60, when people get to that age that start falling and go down hill. Well I'm 61 and was offended by it. My husband said I should take it as a compliment because the guy obviously didn't think I looked like a 60 year old.

Do you have a date range that you consider old? I don't but maybe it is because I'm old, lol.

Replies

• JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    I think my definition of old changes as I get older. For instance, when I was in my twenties and a 40-something guy hit on me, I would think it was gross and he was way old. Now, in my 30s, 40s don't seem old to me at all!

Regardless, I agree with your husband. You obviously look great and must take care of yourself, or else he would not have made that comment!

95 is old. 60 is the new 40!
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    I agree with you. I'm also 61 and don't consider myself old at all. But maybe other people do. I'm much fitter than my 38 year old daughter - I do Zumba, exercise classes, have personal training sessions and walk quite a lot. My daughter, unfortunately, does no exercise and is putting on lots of weight.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    I agree with you. I'm also 61 and don't consider myself old at all. But maybe other people do. I'm much fitter than my 38 year old daughter - I do Zumba, exercise classes, have personal training sessions and walk quite a lot. My daughter, unfortunately, does no exercise and is putting on lots of weight.

At 69,I'm way over the hill & yes,there is a big difference in strength etc.All anyone can do is take care of themselves as best they can,live their life & be glad they are here to live it. :flowerforyou:
  • JEMQuilter
    JEMQuilter Posts: 30 Member
    Old is ten years older than I am!!
  • 2Playmore
    2Playmore Posts: 1 Member
    Old is ten years older than I am!!
    This!
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Age really is just a number. My father will be 84 in November and I don't consider him old. It's hard to think of him as old when he is as active as he is. Out to lunch or a nice outing with my mother every day. Weekends away. Fishing, walking, swimming etc. They also go out on Saturday nights to a great bar with music and are there until 3 am.
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Most of the time when I wake up I think 54 is old. I hurt so bad at that point in the day I feel like I am at least 85 but as the day goes on most days it gets better :)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    The older I get, the higher the range of what I consider old gets:blushing: :laugh:
  • kezzola
    kezzola Posts: 65 Member
    Anyway - age is not a number - it's a state of mind.
  • anything over 100! :laugh:
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    I don't consider the following to be 'old' in their spirit. Sure they are 'older' but NOT old! Jaclyn Smith, Jane Fonda, Jean Smart, Linda Carter, Sonia Braga...the list could go on! It's up to the person to 'decide' that they are old. I've met some 30 and 40 year old people that seem to walk through their world 'old'. Their 'spirit' is tired and 'worn-out'. Every person can decide what type of mind-set to have and that reflection is what the world sees too.
    Just my thoughts...
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    you are old when you feel old! :tongue:
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    When I was in my teens, over 20 was old. I used to know a 78 year old who cared for her 103 year old mother. I guess if everything still works well, I'm not old.
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    There's no such thing as old, Only if you think you are, then you are, Coming from a guy that's 48 that does Zumba 4 times a week and Kick *kitten* with ladies on th e dance floor 10-20 years younger and also 10-20 years older!
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Well I am 43 so I am guessing 44. Next year I am sure I will adjust up to 45...LOL
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Anything over 30.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Depends on the individual.

worlds-oldest-gymnast.jpg

http://youtu.be/RLeoreilVp0

Most 86 year olds would break something trying to get up there, mind.
  • walterP33
    walterP33 Posts: 13 Member
    Yeah, 69 is OLD and I'm turning 69 in 2 days! But after losing 27 pounds I feel better than when I was 64.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Now seems like a good time to roll out this pic:

put-me-in-a-home.jpg

Always makes me chuckle.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Old is just a state of mind--I guess you are old when you start to feel old.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Not for me. I think if I ever stop enjoying life, stop running, stop looking at pretty women, or even average women, I MIGHT be getting old!!!!

Basil
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Yeah - 42. I'm 42 and I freakin hate it! But I keep telling myself that 42 is the new 32 so mentally I'm barely an adult and I'm still sexy so whatever......... :bigsmile:
  • BeefyBFit
    BeefyBFit Posts: 180 Member
    Now seems like a good time to roll out this pic:

put-me-in-a-home.jpg

Always makes me chuckle.

Love this one!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Old is merely a mental state of mind.
    ^^^^That^^^^^^
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    I was talking with a safety guy at work about an employee slip and fall. He read the report and said oh she is 60, when people get to that age that start falling and go down hill. Well I'm 61 and was offended by it. My husband said I should take it as a compliment because the guy obviously didn't think I looked like a 60 year old.

Do you have a date range that you consider old? I don't but maybe it is because I'm old, lol.

That would offend me, too. Some people run marathons when they are in their sixties. I think of 40-50-60 year old people as being in the middle of their lives.

Age is a number that says how long you have been standing around breathing. It has nothing to do with health -- but so many people when they are younger don't exercise and eat in an uncontrolled manner that of course they destroy their health.
  • Love_Is_My_Fuel
    Love_Is_My_Fuel Posts: 211 Member
    The older I get, the higher the range of what I consider old gets:blushing: :laugh:

^THIS
  • sarahthin
    sarahthin Posts: 221 Member
    I used to believe as many on here do that age is a state of mind, and the older I got the older old was. After living and working in a senior community I found that it is a state of mind. I have known 90 year-olds that were younger than some 40 year- olds. When you have to make an appointment to see someone they must be pretty young if they have the energy to be busy all day. Age is just a state of mind.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,487 Member
    It is really hard to choose 'an age" because I have seen 26 year olds who are old. They smoke, eat vending food, don't exercise and try to work, go to school and party. They look drawn, pale, tired and 30 years older than they are. Then, this summer, an 86 year old woman passed me hiking up a mountain and she did not even have hiking poles! When we got to the top, I was shocked at how young she looked and what great shape she was in. She was entertaining all of us 60 somethings with her story. It seems that the Health Industry may be on to something. If we eat well, don't smoke, don't drink to excess (except H2O of course), maintain a healthy weight and exercise, our age truly is just a number and old has come to mean "not very healthy." Since I have lost the weight, the first thing people say is "You look so much younger!" and at 60 soon to be 61, that is a REAL compliment!! Lose weight and you can even REVERSE old! Who knew???? Woo Hoo!! :happy:
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    My grandfather died when I was 21 and he was 72, I thought he'd got to a good old age, I'm now 33 and realise that he was quite young when he died. My grandma is an old 85 whereas my great aunt is a young 90, I think I go off the person and everyone is different.