THE 6 MOST SHOCKINGLY IRRESPONSIBLE “FITSPIRATION” PHOTOS

Options
124»

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just read this response and video by Kellie Davis. I liked the video. http://www.motherfitness.com/real-fitspiration/
  • _liftnlove
    Options
    LOL, motivation is _supposed_ to be over the top.

"You're doing an ok job!"
    "Maybe go for a stroll after dinner?"
    "69% of Americans are overweight - It's normal"
    "It's ok, you put in a bit of effort!"
    "Limits are limits for a reason"
    "Maybe it's genetic?"
    "No, really, you look fine how you are!"
    "At least you're moving!"
    "Don't over do it!"
    "Go ahead and stop - maybe you're just tired today?"

These might all be true, but they are not motivational.

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for this :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I shared it yesterday on FB. And saw the drinking versions today. Now every time I see fitspo, I think of booze, and feel warm and fuzzy inside, just like when I drink. :drinker:

But, yeah, that's something that has annoyed me about fitness for a long time, the "no matter what, you're not good enough" message. And at the end of the day, as long as I'm strong enough to carry in the groceries, slender enough that my clothes fit, and fast enough to outrun a zombie, or at least the person next to me trying to outrun a zombie, that's all that really matters. All the rest is gravy.
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options

"Maybe it's genetic?"
    "Don't over do it!"

You know I find when people make excuses and such frustrating and annoying too, but I don't think this article condones that mentality at all. Looking at something that is completely unrealistic for myself is not motivating, it honestly just makes me feel worse about myself and frustrated at my own body. This isn't a healthy way of thinking, but unfortunately there are so many out there who can relate to those feelings- which is who this article is targeted for. There is a large portion of us who are commited to this lifestyle, have become healthy, and are fit- who need another source of inspiration that's realistic, and promotes a healthy attitude towards health and fitness. I didn't find this article in any way unmotivating, I think it motivated me to take the time to admire my progress, enjoy and celebrate my new lifestyle, but to take it easier on myself and not get so angry at my body. It made me take a step back and admire all the hardwork and dedication I've put into this- and I think this was for many others as well. Someone can be completely dedicated and committed to something without relying on or aspiring to be people in these magazines. I think it was nice for a change to see realistic motivation, because the other images just make me frustrated and want to say "eff it" at the end of the day.
  • TygerTwoTails
    TygerTwoTails Posts: 108 Member
    Options

"Maybe it's genetic?"
    "Don't over do it!"

You know I find when people make excuses and such frustrating and annoying too, but I don't think this article condones that mentality at all. Looking at something that is completely unrealistic for myself is not motivating, it honestly just makes me feel worse about myself and frustrated at my own body. This isn't a healthy way of thinking, but unfortunately there are so many out there who can relate to those feelings- which is who this article is targeted for. There is a large portion of us who are commited to this lifestyle, have become healthy, and are fit- who need another source of inspiration that's realistic, and promotes a healthy attitude towards health and fitness. I didn't find this article in any way unmotivating, I think it motivated me to take the time to admire my progress, enjoy and celebrate my new lifestyle, but to take it easier on myself and not get so angry at my body. It made me take a step back and admire all the hardwork and dedication I've put into this- and I think this was for many others as well. Someone can be completely dedicated and committed to something without relying on or aspiring to be people in these magazines. I think it was nice for a change to see realistic motivation, because the other images just make me frustrated and want to say "eff it" at the end of the day.

Well said!
  • hovercar
    Options
    This was fantastic!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

"Maybe it's genetic?"
    "Don't over do it!"

Yup. I mean, there's all kinds of motivation out there. If one kind doesn't work for you, doesn't mean it's not helping someone else. When my *kitten* is giving me all kinds of holy hell during the squats track in BodyPump, the "pain is temporary" type motivations definitely help me get through. Forgive me for knowing the difference between a normal lactic acid build up burn, and the lower back pain that caused me to terminate my exercise two hours early, earlier today.

As to the strong is the new sexy pictures, who the heck doesn't know what a model looks like? The people making the posters are ultimately just trying to earn a living. If those images didn't sell so darn well, they wouldn't be so prevalent. Why leave the parenting of your kids to some stupid posters?? Who cares what they say, surely the author has real life role models in his girls' lives, right?!
  • Buggs13QH
    Buggs13QH Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think all points are valid. I agree, its hard to be happy with me. I'm surrounded by great friends who give me compliments constantly, but that isn't who I see in the mirror. Years of being tormented because I was "FAT" stick with me. I get the impression from media, "I'm not there yet" "Thinner. Fitter. More feminine. More muscular. Less muscular. Don't eat this. Only eat that." I'm confused and frustrated. And if I'm confused and frustrated, there have got to be millions more who are also. MILLIONS! Why? because I am beautiful, I am driven, I am smart. And yet here I am questioning whether or not I am.... So weird.
    #2 I am PROUD! I certainly don't look like that lil girl from the picture, but I am proud. Yet.... there are days, I wonder, why cant I look like that lil girl? She's so little. Maybe I am not disciplined enough? Maybe I didn't work hard enough? Maybe that is why I am still single, I'm not her.... WHAT? I cannot compete with her, she's not me, I'm not her. Yet, here I am, wondering why there isn't someone who looks like me in one of those photos. Why do I not meet America's standards?
    #5 Strong is the new sexy. I'm with the author, here I am trying to be strong, because that is all I got, now I gotta be THIN and CUT. God is there no break I can be cut?
    So I made it to #6, and just want to point out too. I had to be KICKED OUT of the gym the other day by a personal trainer. He said, "You look like ****, go home" I said, "Wow dude, thanks, what ever girl wants to hear from a hot guy" And he said, "No, you are done. You don't look right. This isn't safe. Go home." I said, "One more set" and he said, "Now" And I did leave and I am glad he was there to tell me because I hurt my shoulder and could have made it so much worse. But he was my lil, eerrrr giant? Guardian angel....
  • athensguy
    Options
    5A1PgWr.jpg

Favorite :)

Red Label :frown:
  • pfgaytriot
    pfgaytriot Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Interesting dissection of social media.

But I think a lot of it is really all about interpretation. I personally dislike shows such as the Biggest Loser where the 'at all costs' mentality leads to contestants being pushed to the point of vomiting/injury/collapse because they physically cannot (or cannot safely) do what is being asked of them.

There is, however, a difference between that and telling the whiny voice in your head you KNOW is a liar to shut up. For example, I know I can run a 5k, no problem. But I can promise in the first kilometer my brain will be trying to talk me out of it ("It's cold out here. I don't like this hill. Can we go home and watch TV?"). After that though I tend to get into my groove and enjoy things, so it's just a matter of pushing past the initial why-did-I-have-to-get-off-the-couch part.

As for 'obsessed' and 'dedicated' - there IS a difference between the two, yes. But it does seem as though a lot of MFP members, in taking active steps to improve their health, have been labelled negatively by those around them. And sometimes it's simply a matter of context. Someone who loves to cook and is always trying out new recipes could be accused of having an obsession, but if the person saying that lives off microwavable meals then it does give things a little perspective. I don't think the intention of the photo in question was to encourage obsessive habits, but I can't imagine it's easy to come up with a slogan that can't in some way be misinterpreted.

Sexy is sexy. What is considered so depends on both the society and the individual. You can find glamourized photos of anorexic women, slender women, muscular women, curvy women, overweight women, and so on. Phrases like "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels", "Bones are for dogs - real women have curves", and "Strong is the new sexy" are all just catchphrases associated with different ideals and imply that everyone should strive to be a particular way.

So yeah. Guy had some valid points. But as someone above said, he probably had a lot of time on his hands :tongue:

^This :drinker:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Read it today.

The author is a moron if he thinks anyone follows those to the letter.

A lot of military members certainly embrace these "fitness at all costs" mentalities.

The Air Force also has a waist measurement requirement, despite how fit you are. Women must be less than 35" waist, and men must be less than 40" waist. There are some very fit people that can pass all the running, push ups, and sit ups, but they don't pass the waist measurement. Of course, people argue the unfairness of it because it is only there to make sure every Airman has a certain fit look to them.
  • LarryDUk
    LarryDUk Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Read it today.

The author is a moron if he thinks anyone follows those to the letter.

A lot of military members certainly embrace these "fitness at all costs" mentalities.

The Air Force also has a waist measurement requirement, despite how fit you are. Women must be less than 35" waist, and men must be less than 40" waist. There are some very fit people that can pass all the running, push ups, and sit ups, but they don't pass the waist measurement. Of course, people argue the unfairness of it because it is only there to make sure every Airman has a certain fit look to them.

They didn't have this when I was in. They had body fat, which was measured by neck and waist and was very broken!
  • AccioHotBod
    AccioHotBod Posts: 44 Member
    Options

"Maybe it's genetic?"
    "Don't over do it!"

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for this :)

LOL
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Amusing & great points, I liked it
  • hifi898
    Options
    BUMP. Love this.
  • Pedalpush
    Pedalpush Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I half expected to see the drinking pictures when I saw this thread. The drinking ones were brought to my attention over the weekend (while drinking), but I didn't see the original Fitspiration pics.

I continue to stand by my mantra: I embrace my limitations.

Hurting yourself just isn't worth it.

Thanks for posting this!
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    For me, it's a bit of a mixed bag.

The body image stuff is irritating because it does, in its own way, push it's own agenda. But, in any case, it's always up to the individual to be able to accept their body. I'll never be a magazine model because of my combination of an inability to tan as well as a lot of scarring on my torso. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to wow the world with my clothes on.

The "limits" pictures are a more challenging topic. As someone said, most people probably don't actually push their bodies that hard. And #6, where it tells you to tell your mind to shut up, is something we've probably all had to do. You have to figure out if it's your body telling you you're done or if it's "the wizard" sitting on your shoulder and whispering into your ear that you've reached your limit.

But then there ARE times where people may be pushed that hard. Professional physical training, such as that done for law enforcement, fire fighters, and the police, can frequently push an individual to all those limits described in #1, #4, and #6. You're trained to get to the point where you feel like you can't go on and then push through that wall, even if you're only barely shuffling one foot in front of the other. Pain is everywhere in the job, and you have to develop the mental discipline to get through it. Puking is acceptable because you've now discovered your limit. You're pushed because the reality of your job is that you can't say "I'm tired" or "I'm sore" and give up. However, that's a case where there is a lot of supervision and the instructors, sadistic as they may seem, actually have a vested interest in making sure you don't do serious damage.
  • EmiChickpea
    Options
    Thank you so much - utterly refreshing.