I shouldnt care...

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My current gym is loaded with old folks.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. I just smile and nod. They are just trying to be friendly and make small talk. They are retired, bored and are looking for some conversation.

My advice is to be nice and hope you get to be the old, annoying one someday.
    This
  • lupinibean
    Options
    The majority of people at my gym (YMCA) are older/retired people. Would you rather go to a gym full of "bros" and gym bunnies who yak on their cellphones, giggle, grunt, loudly talk about their personal/romantic life, etc etc etc? Then go join LA Fitness or one of those chain gyms.

If innocuous remarks a few times a week really, really, bothers you that much, just get some headphones.
  • katymambros
    katymambros Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience at the park the other day, I ride the stationary bike for up to 45 minutes when I go, and this man walked by me a couple of times and the second time he ( bitterly) said, " still pedaling that bike, huh?" I simply told him, yes, I'm not getting too far though, am I? and I laughed it off. Don't take it personally, some people may just be nit picking like that guy was, or they may just be lonely and looking for a conversation. I know how you feel, because I can be sensitive about what people say, too. Just remember, your doing this for you. Keep up the good work!!!
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I did the first 10 times, it is all of the time. Some are the same people. If I commented everday that you sure ate alot of lunch, at some point, would you tire of it? I am not sensitive, I just find it somewhat rude and tiresome. It is not said in an admiring or encouraging way for the most part. . I do not feel the need to defend nmyself for working out, or to placate bad manners by smiling and commeting.

Yep, you are NOT sensitive. Good lord I'm glad I live in the south!
  • daftthoughts
    Options
    I think a lot of people are forgetting that not everybody is like them. Some people have social issues or are not drawn to social banter like this.

I have a long-distance boyfriend and I generally keep hush about it because people always ask the same questions. Questions that I've come to find silly, annoying and tiresome to answer because it appears some people lack the ability to understand how it works, or generally can't accept that I can fall in love with someone who's so far away. After the thousandth time of hearing the same question, you just grow tired of it and wish people would stop poking at you to sate their curiosity or selfish desire to be social without regards to how YOU feel about it. You're constantly being pressured to justify your motivations and nobody stops to think that this can be a burden that makes you wish you didn't have to talk to anybody ever again.

I don't need anyone judging my relationship, which is what these questions make you feel constantly. I can understand that OP doesn't want anybody judging their time spent at the gym either because the concept is pretty much the same here.

Why is it so hard for so many of you to understand how tiresome this gets? Why does that make OP - and in essence myself - a bad person? Why do I have to put up with people asking me things I don't want to talk about over and over again? Why am I shunned and being spoken to in such a condescending manner for having a preference in my social interactions?

There's nothing wrong with not wanting to talk to people. That's why we're all individuals with our own preferences and needs. I don't understand why we can't be respected for not wanting to answer silly questions, but we have to respect the people shoving it into our faces.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    "Yes, I love how great I feel when I exercise." -Smile

Do you feel like you spend too much time at the gym? If not, don't get ashamed, just be proud of the work you do (assuming you aren't compulsively overexercising.)

The only weird experience I've really had at the gym was when I was on an exercise bike, eyes closed and listening to my headphones, and a gentleman hovered next to me until I opened my eyes and took off my headphones and paused my music. Then he told me, "I usually go to (this chain's) other gym." (No, no chance he was hitting on me.) I chatted with him for a minute, politely but trying not to engage so I could finish my workout, until a trainer walked by and he started talking to the trainer. I don't know why he stopped me, but I figure if he wanted a little conversation, no harm.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Why would they know how often you are there? Oh, yeah, because they are also there...:huh:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    One thing younger people cannot know and never will know while they are young, is how an older person feels. Things DO change. Older people are mostly being pushed to the back by the younger generation, and its not something new, that's just the way it is in the world. And we do get made fun of for trying to keep ourselves healthy, get told we are trying to be "young". When the young generation of today gets old, it will be the same thing happening to them. They will be laughed at about their hearing, their sense of humor, etc. Sensitivity increases with age also. I was one of the guilty young but now my az is old and all this crap is happening to me:laugh:

Nonsense! By the time I get that old, we'll all have cybernetic replacements for any equipment that starts going bad!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I go to a small gym, mostly oler people. I try to go everyday, and I sweat, intervals ect. Today, "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are her all of the time". I have ignored it, this happens at the minimum 1 or 2 times a week. I almost feel shamed for working out. Do you ever deal with similar? your response?:huh:
    Don't overthink it. Just show them your best "B!tchy Resting Face" http://youtu.be/3v98CPXNiSk
  • jigfoot
    Options
    I started going to fitness classes 6 month ago and who knew...I loved it so I went to more classes, I now go to two classes most evenings and I do get 'you must be mad' a lot and are you here again? I just smile and say 'I love ITTT! I look a bit crackers but I don't care, it's not hurting me or anyone else and I love ITTTTT! keep going :-D
  • jigfoot
    Options
    I go to a small gym, mostly oler people. I try to go everyday, and I sweat, intervals ect. Today, "oh my do you live here?" the other day "You are her all of the time". I have ignored it, this happens at the minimum 1 or 2 times a week. I almost feel shamed for working out. Do you ever deal with similar? your response?:huh:
    Don't overthing it. Just show them your best "B!tchy Resting Face" http://youtu.be/3v98CPXNiSk

hahaha gotta love the b!tchy resting face
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    My advice to the OP is to give them something else to talk about. I agree with the others in that they are just trying to make small talk. Maybe mention you have a dog, or work in where you live... then, maybe next time they see you they'll feel comfortable asking about those things rather than the ol', "Geez, do you live here?"
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I did the first 10 times, it is all of the time. Some are the same people. If I commented everday that you sure ate alot of lunch, at some point, would you tire of it? I am not sensitive, I just find it somewhat rude and tiresome. It is not said in an admiring or encouraging way for the most part. . I do not feel the need to defend nmyself for working out, or to placate bad manners by smiling and commeting.

As many people have said, it's not "bad manners" or some kind of dig, it's just old people making polite chitchat.

Does it get annoying after a while? Well, yeah. I used to call my grandmother every day. She was in her 80's, I liked calling and making sure she was getting taken care of, but nothing new was happening in her life so she told me the same damned "hilarious" anecdote every day for four. freaking. weeks. I have no pity for you.

Smile, nod, and move on with your day--or work on comebacks designed to make old people cry. Your call.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As many people have said, it's not "bad manners" or some kind of dig, it's just old people making polite chitchat.
    I'm old (60) and I would never say that. Here's another idea: Look them up and down and then say "If you want to see results, you need to come here often."
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?

neither, their ability to keep their bowels in check :/
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    You have a weird sense of humor, specially in the internet. By the way, I am " grams" to my grandchildren, to you is Ely.

GOOD FOR YOU ELY!

THANK YOU! (cute kittens :love: )
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options

Wow you must have a very high regard for yourself. It's all about you! Must be terrible having to deal with the outside world...

But I have a suspision that this is a false post, no one could be that anti-social could they?

Soon as I read the op I checked how long she'd been here, expecting September 13.

Seriously, if this is the worst thing that happens to you, if this is what rude is in your life, count your blessings and quit *****ing.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    OP, you are SO right!

Some people can be real *kitten*, and I'm not referring to the old folks at your gym.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    man oh man, when did old people get so sensitive? which goes first, their sense of humor or their hearing?

Agreed. I think someone is taking things the wrong way.

I think this thread started with someone taking things the wrong way.

Pissed off at idle gym chit chat is the MFP equivalent of pregnant women pissed off at "when are you due?" on baby boards and mom's being pissed at "what is her name/how old is he?" on mom boards.

Why do people get so mad about random banter?

Get off my lawn.

and cut your hair and pull up your pants, whippersnappers

Don't tell them to pull up their pants. I have too much fun watching bloopers of them totally tripping themselves when they fall.

Don't tell me to not tell them what to do! You're not the boss of me :grumble: :grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Don't make me tickle you!

4411349240_68d2c9499a_o.gif

Wwhhoooaaa! Cool!
    I could care less about this conversation and had no intentions of commenting on it until I saw this image. Can someone please tell me what kind of animal this is?! I have never seen one like this before! He is so cute!
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Watch the movie "Groundhog Day".....With some old people, they forget they've already made the same witty comment every day for the past week, month, year. Count it as a free character lesson in practising patience and kindness :-)