My first 5K...a load of awesome sauce!!!!

JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
Rolled out of bed at 6 am and headed to the park it was being held at. It was flipping cold this morning...45* F. The race started at 7:30 am. My brother (who is a Marine and home on leave) was running it with me, and since I know he can run MUCH faster than I can, I told him I just needed him to start with me and then he could go do his own thing and I'd finish at my pace. Well, they split the guys and girls and started the men 3 mins later. So there went that plan. I wound up in the middle of a pack at the start and was going WAY too fast for the first half mile. Then my brother caught up to me, and I managed to find my pace. He ended up running the entire thing with me, and was pushing me pretty hard. I ran a faster pace than I have ever been able to sustain, and shaved four minutes off my best 5k time. Super excited! I finished in 36 mins, which I feel was pretty respectable for my first 5k and being a newbie runner still.

So if I can do it, you can too! When I first started running I couldn't even make it to our mailbox. Today I only had to walk twice very briefly. And, I felt like a runner today too! Not just someone who was struggling around the block.

l]d9170393-df10-459d-9cb0-c185c26ea7f6_zps0abae1ee.jpg[/URL]

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!