Food Addiction?!

Options
124»

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I googled "sugar more addictive than cocaine" and articles came up on studies on some rodents
    I'm sorry if mentioning something I found on Google upsets you so much but that was not the emphasis of this post.
    The studies that I did find IN NOW WAY COMPARE the serious detrimental effects of heavy drug addiction. They researched ADDICTIVENESS meaning how likely are you to go back to that substance after using it once, twice, thrice, and so on.

Here are some examples in case you need further clarification:
    If I smoke tobbaco once, how likely am I to smoke again...
    If I do weed, how likely am I to do it again...
    If snort crack, how likely am I to do it again....
    If I take a bite of that cake, how likely am I to not eat the entire thing....etc. & etc.

Having said that, I DO have a serious problem with overeating, something I've struggled with for YEARS.
    I'm 21 and all this starting since I was I don't know 5...So YES it is a serious issue for ME. And I came to MFP for help and support. If you are just going to sit there and patronize me because you don't share my experiences, Don't post.
    Instead why don't you go running or spend that excess energy elsewhere, oh and don't hate on the giant Hershey Bar, I think the Hershey bar is quite awesome as I encountered it in my travels to Canada.

Now if @jonnythan or @Sarauk2sf or anyone else would like clarification, have questions, want to know more about me or simply share the same problems I have, I HIGHLY encourage you to send me a message or add me as a friend.

Enjoy the rest of your day happy bloggers.

Where exactly did I disparage or in any way say anything about whether it was an addiction? My issue was with certain people comparing it to hard drugs. It works both ways.

How likely is it that you will find someone with a sugar 'addiction' with a needle in their arm dead after voiding themselves? In case *you* need further clarification.

I am absolutely entitled to post, it is a public forum, especially when I see something that *I* believe is by someone who has no idea what they are talking about...as I say, it works both ways.
  • Michele81287
    Options
    I ate ALOT this evening. I had family and friends over and there was pizza, pie, and icecream so I figured I'm not going to be stingy
    while everyone else enjoys themselves so I gave in and indulged ALOT. Now I feel stuffed uhh! Another justification I gave myself for not caring is that I'll start eating good tomorrow. I mean this of course and of course I'm so stuffed that food is the last thing on my mind, but in a weird way by giving in to my cravings saying it is ok to eat I feel like they've lost power over me. Food is just food. It tastes good, but that only lasts 5 minutes. And if I ever face a next time of wanting to go all out I'll remember how horrible I feel afterwards. The feeling is never worth it. Anyways I agree with you that sugar can be highly addicting I've been there lol. There was an interesting book I read called "the end of overeating" that touches a lot on the subject if you wanted to check that out. I guess there's a whole positive reinforcing thing going on with the reward center of the brain and the neurotransmitter dopamine. Anyways I find that a lot of the time I'll overeat if I'm bored if I really think about it. I guess it could help to really think about what you think is triggering these cravings.
  • Michele81287
    Options
    I know most people will say total deprivation of snacks doesn't work, and for a lot of people it doesn't. But for me it was a great start. I decided to cut out chocolate to try to get rid of chronic migraines, and I figured I'd cut out all desserts while I was at it. Two weeks later, I had a brownie- and wow, it was nowhere near as satisfying as I remembered, I actually felt a bit sick. Since then my sweet cravings have gone way down, and when I do feel like snacking a little bit, I'm way more in control of portion size than ever before. So I've continued to seriously limit my desserts and I feel amazing.

Probably not the solution for everyone- but I do think that cutting myself off for a short bit helped with the sugar addiction. If I actually felt any desire for a scoop of ice cream now, I would have no guilt about eating it, because I know I wouldn't go crazy like I used to :) I also eat Greek Yogurt with strawberries for breakfast every day- sweet but still healthy. Good luck!
    I think everybody is different. Some people can have a little treat here and there and be ok but I'm with you-when I avoid all that food my cravings go away but when I have some my cravings reemergence and I want more.
  • Maureen214
    Maureen214 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It is an addiction for many. That's why it's so hard and happens overland over again. It's also why they have over eaters anonymous. It follows the same 12 step program as Alcoholics Anonymous It's not will power. It's turning it over to your higher being and living each day one day at a time. It's finding support and getting rid of your trigger foods. Just like an alcoholic can 't have one sip, I can't have one bite of... X y z. And it doesn't mean fire ER, it just means today. Just today it works if I work it. If I log on every day and write down my calories, it works. If I exercise, it works; if I post or read a thread, it works. Hope some of this helps.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I was always a sugar junkie, but I'm amazed at how little I want it now, after just 4 months of cutting sweets out of my diet. Peanut butter on the other hand is worked into my macros at least 3 times a week :bigsmile:
  • UmmSulaimaan
    UmmSulaimaan Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You know...is it food addiction or straight up emotional eating. (I sort of had to disassociate myself from my children..older children's habits!! I was still so so hungry!!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I googled "sugar more addictive than cocaine" and articles came up on studies on some rodents
    I'm sorry if mentioning something I found on Google upsets you so much but that was not the emphasis of this post.
    The studies that I did find IN NOW WAY COMPARE the serious detrimental effects of heavy drug addiction. They researched ADDICTIVENESS meaning how likely are you to go back to that substance after using it once, twice, thrice, and so on.

Here are some examples in case you need further clarification:
    If I smoke tobbaco once, how likely am I to smoke again...
    If I do weed, how likely am I to do it again...
    If snort crack, how likely am I to do it again....
    If I take a bite of that cake, how likely am I to not eat the entire thing....etc. & etc.

Having said that, I DO have a serious problem with overeating, something I've struggled with for YEARS.
    I'm 21 and all this starting since I was I don't know 5...So YES it is a serious issue for ME. And I came to MFP for help and support. If you are just going to sit there and patronize me because you don't share my experiences, Don't post.
    Instead why don't you go running or spend that excess energy elsewhere, oh and don't hate on the giant Hershey Bar, I think the Hershey bar is quite awesome as I encountered it in my travels to Canada.

on the plus side just judging by the posts on this side, sugar cravings seem to be something that can actually be overcome relatively well. I say this as someone who has worked with drug addicted offenders in my previous role. Self-proclaimed sugar addicts seem to be able to continue to have fruit that contains sugar and after a few months are able to have moderate amounts of refined sugar. Drug addicts are unable to do so and frequently OD when they fall of the wagon so to speak.

One of the problems with chronic overeating is obviously you can't stop cold turkey and never eat another thing. Perhaps it would help if you keep a detailed diary where you record not only what you eat, but also how that makes you feel when you ate it and an or two later hour later etc. You could make a regimented food plan where you plan all your meals and maybe 2 or 3 healthy snacks between meal and then when you want to reach for something that is not on the plan you can tell yourself that you have x-number of minutes until you are allowed the next snack or meal. You have to keep yourself busy though, because boredom will make you feel more hungry.

It is worth noting that it might work better in the long run if you address your issues with food before you start 'dieting' i.e try to eat maintenance or only a small deficit, but be binge-free, because there is little point if you work hard and eat a large deficit for 3 days and then binge uncontrollable, but that is just my personal opinion and I am still new here myself.