Greek Yogurt!

Options
2»

Replies

• fitkate80
    fitkate80 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting article recently about Greek yogurt waste, this wasn't it but you get the idea: http://nypost.com/2013/05/22/greek-yogurts-half-a-supertanker-per-year-toxic-waste-problem/[url]

And an interesting one on DIY. I haven't tried it yet, if anyone does let me know how it turns out! http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jul/25/news/la-dd-making-your-own-greek-yogurt-is-no-strain-and-the-flavor-is-amazing-20130725

And ideas to use the Whey byproduct: http://www.salad-in-a-jar.com/recipes-with-yogurt/18-ways-to-use-whey-a-by-product-of-greek-yogurt[/url]
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like fage 0% and sweeten it with fresh strawberries, blueberries, raw agave or a tablespoon of simply fruit preserves.
    ^This
    Try FAGE "O" yogurt, pronnounced FAY-ya its low sugar, low carbs. Not sure where its available but I can find it in QFC stores in Seattle, they are part of the Kroger Chain.
    ^And this

Low sugar, low carbs, high protein, more actual substance to eat than some of the other prepackaged individual servings.
    Compare the nutrition labels.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Krklawans
    Krklawans Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yoplait also has an AMAZING caramel and honey frozen Greek yogurt. 90 calories, 5 grams of protein.

Oo! Yum! I am a major froyo fan so I will definitely have to try this out! Thanks!
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love greek yogurt and regular yogurt! I don't drink much milk, so my yogurt and Cheerios are my biggest sources of calcium.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Does General Mills have a good benefits package?
    Was thinking the same thing
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I once made yogurt maker using a yogurt maker and I think skim milk plus a couple of tablespoons of plain commercial yogurt. It was thick like greek yogurt and a little tart. Also time consuming to make it, but delicious.
  • syk48
    syk48 Posts: 16
    Options
    I buy mostly non-fat Greek yogurt,vanilla. Chobanis or Oikos the most .They aren't as expensive as Fago but I really like that too. I love the creamy thickness of greek yogurt and can add berries ,pb etc with less calories than when they add to it.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Chobani. Only greek one I'll have

This one I absolutely love it I am not a yoghurt lover but omg I am addicted to this stuff now as someone on here got me to try it hey Jacki lol

:blushing: :flowerforyou: Wonder who got you onto that one.

OMG I have 4 170g tubs a day just as a damn snack, passionfruit one 2% fat & frozen up is sooooooooooooooo yummy. All my protein in one hit, and then I have a 0% fat one on top of my dinner.

Who's addicted? I sure am.

I been having greek yoghurt for YEARS before I tried to lose weight. Turkish rice calls for it.
  • soyum
    soyum Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Bingo! This stuff is golden! I always add a banana to mine and I mix it all up thick and creamy! It's a 100% REPLACEMENT for any and all ice cream cravings. woo hoo!!
  • 1stday13
    1stday13 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Chobani. Only greek one I'll have
    Me too :drinker: I buy the lg container Plain / 0% fat. and use it for everything. In my protein drinks, a TOTAL replacement for any kind of sour cream. I use it in all of my salad dressings that call for sour cream.. I LOVE the stuff :love:
  • Kitpurr
    Kitpurr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yup, Fat free greek yoghurt is kind of essential for my vegetarian diet. I don't use whey protein but considering it is 10g of protein per 100g yoghurt it's pretty darn good substitute! I also like to use it to make a pancake with less flour so it's lower cal:

1/2 cup greek yoghurt
    1/3 cup flour (can be reduced to 1/4 cup I think)
    1/3 tsp baking soda
    1 egg.

Mix them all up, add some berries if you like. Maybe add a dash of salt. Fry like an ordinary pancake.
  • astange83
    Options
    love the dannon light n fit, great taste, 80 cals and lowest sugar grams out of all the others i've seen. and the orange cream is amazing tastes like a creamsickle!!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% has 18 grams of protein for 100 calories. I put in a squirt of Mio or Crystal Light to give it a sweet taste, or if I need more fat, I add peanut butter and sucralose. Back when I cared about sugars with my protein in my post-workout meal, I'd add honey from my own bees or an individual applesauce or fruit cup.

This morning I used it like sour cream to garnish my egg scramble. I also use it to extend salad dressings, make them creamier and give them a little protein punch.

It's pretty gosh-darned versatile.

About the only thing you can't do is toast it.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    stupid double post
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm a Chobani fan, but I prefer the plain 2% variety, as it creamer than the 0%. I have it for breakfast most every morning so that I a good jump on my protein goals for the day.

Dole - Pineapple, Fresh, 1.5 oz
    Gourmet Nut - Dry Roasted Edamame, 1 oz (30g)
    Syntrax Nectar - Whey Protein Powder - Caribbean Cooler (pineapple coconut flavor), 1.5 scoops
    Chobani - Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 6 oz (170g)
    Kashi - Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond Flax, 0.5 cup

Nutritional info: calories 524, fat 10 grams, carbs 36 grams, protein 75 grams & fiber 12 grams.

It tastes amazing & is very filling. Plus it gets me more than halfway to my protein goal at the start of the day. It makes my macros & calories so much easier to manage without sweating my protein intake all day!
  • JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I love love love greek yogurt! and key lime is my new favorite. I am in Canada and we don't have as big a selection of the yoplait ones where I am. I was eating the source 50 calorie ones that are pretty good. I recently switched to the oikos 100 cal ones which are amazing and that is where I discovered my love of the key lime ones.

I use the plain greek yogurt in recipes in place of sour cream, so much better for you and such a nice flavor.