In Place of a Road Map: Short N' Sweet

Options

Replies

• christykirby
    christykirby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for this info! I'm hoping I'm finally on the right track now with my calorie goal each day! Will definitely refer to this in the future as things change...
  • Bugsgettingfit
    Bugsgettingfit Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sshivani007
    sshivani007 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hulamedulla
    hulamedulla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hulamedulla
    Options
    Ahhh...I thought it was using Katch. I rechecked for you and the two are actually close.
    Harris: 1559
    Katch: 1587

Your factor x BMR (using the Katch numbers) above gave me 2457.5 which is fairly close to the 2416 I was given on fat2fit (your formula gives me 2416.45 for the Harris number so I guess they are pretty accurate!). That would give me a TDEE-20% of 1966 versus fat2fit's 1932.8, correct? So if I stick to 1900 without logging my exercise, I should be good?

Ya, you can change the BF% to anything, and the eating goal table stays the same.

Actually, rounded wrong way, always up - 2000.

Most usually underestimate TDEE level, so up is better. Correct to eating back of exercise calories. You decide how annoying the math is if you log actual calories burned, 1 calorie, or none. It does change macro goals too.

I'm a little confused. So if my TDEE (sedentary) -20% = 1300 and I put that number in MFP, what happens if I log my calories burned from exercise (I have a HRM) and eat back those calories? How does it affect my macro goals? Is that a big deal? I like doing as little maths as possible...
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused. So if my TDEE (sedentary) -20% = 1300 and I put that number in MFP, what happens if I log my calories burned from exercise (I have a HRM) and eat back those calories? How does it affect my macro goals? Is that a big deal? I like doing as little maths as possible...

BMR x 1.2 sedentary = TDEE

TDEE x 0.8 (-20%) = less than BMR

I strongly suggest if you think your daily activity outside exercise is truly sedentary. 40 hr desk job no walking, over 1 hr commute, rear in chair evenings and weekends, not much shopping time or lawn stuff. Most with FitBit's and bodymedia units find they are Lightly active on MFP's level.

In which case, just selective Lightly Active, weight loss as maintain.
    Now go to goals and manually take the eating goal minus 20%.

Log your exercise and eat back minus same 20%. If you had included it in the TDEE estimate, it would have had 20% taken off there anyway.

Macros will be messed up, if you set protein and fat to recommended, then carbs will look really low on base goal. But then when you log exercise, they all go up, but you really don't need the extra protein and fat.

Since protein should be 1 g per lb of LBM, or about max 0.82 g per lb of weight, just memorize and hit that number, let carbs and fat be the rest.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Bumping for reference.
  • vmr2811
    Options
    bump
  • hifi898
    Options
    BUMP
  • psacake
    psacake Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    awesome..

saving for later
  • hulamedulla
    Options

BMR x 1.2 sedentary = TDEE

TDEE x 0.8 (-20%) = less than BMR

I strongly suggest if you think your daily activity outside exercise is truly sedentary. 40 hr desk job no walking, over 1 hr commute, rear in chair evenings and weekends, not much shopping time or lawn stuff. Most with FitBit's and bodymedia units find they are Lightly active on MFP's level.

In which case, just selective Lightly Active, weight loss as maintain.
    Now go to goals and manually take the eating goal minus 20%.

Log your exercise and eat back minus same 20%. If you had included it in the TDEE estimate, it would have had 20% taken off there anyway.

Macros will be messed up, if you set protein and fat to recommended, then carbs will look really low on base goal. But then when you log exercise, they all go up, but you really don't need the extra protein and fat.

Since protein should be 1 g per lb of LBM, or about max 0.82 g per lb of weight, just memorize and hit that number, let carbs and fat be the rest.

Thanks! OK, so if I log and eat back my calories burned -20% I should be fine?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thanks! OK, so if I log and eat back my calories burned -20% I should be fine?

Actually, now that I see only 20 lbs to lose, besides using Lightly Active, also deficit only 15%.

When you reach 10lbs to go, then change to 10% deficit.

Take the same amount off the exercise calories before logging and eat back reduced amount. Yes, this has you eating more, but when you have less to lose, you should try to lose slower to aid in maintaining muscle mass.
  • dlbaron
    dlbaron Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • blessmevicar
    Options
    i dont have a math degree so didnt ever bother trying to work it out
  • DesireeNL
    DesireeNL Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Bumping to add to my topics.
  • Abbaprincess
    Abbaprincess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is a short form for the full document contained here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13

The Road Map is simply a tool to find Body Fat%, BMR and TDEE.
    All 3 items are important to understanding fat/weight loss.

Once you know these 3 numbers, you'll be able to manipulate nutrition and training to get to your next goal.

1) Body Fat%
    Knowing the ratio of body fat to lean mass is crucial in understanding body composition.
    The less fat you have, the leaner you'll look.
    The more lean muscle you have, the better your definition (tone) will look.
    Having ideal body fat is not only healthier for the individual but it also helps you look good naked!

Athletes (6-13% for men, 16-20% for women) 
<---Ideal area for Bulking
    Fitness (14-17% for men, 21-24% for women) 

Acceptable (18-25% for men, 25-31% for women) 

Obese (25%+ for men, 32%+ for women)

The shocking part about BF% is most people who PM me numbers don't know how much fat they carry.
    It's the most important part of figuring out the rest of your caloric intake.

Bottom Line: Buy a tape measurer or a set of Calipers and learn how to objectively track body fat while cutting/bulking.
    The ultimate goal is to lose unwanted fat and maintain or even gain beautiful lean muscle.

Useful links:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/cbbf/
    Do all 3 BF Calcs and use the average number.
    Write it down, you'll use it later!

2) BMR/RMR
    Basal Metabolic Rate or Resting Metabolic Rate.
    This covers all body functions outside of activity.
    If you were in a coma and you were fed enough nutrients to keep you alive, Thats BMR.
    Think "Baseline Calories" if you did absolutely nothing.
    Sub-sedentary.
    All vital organs are covered when eating BMR.

For those who like math, you'll find several different types of calculations for BMR.
    1) Harris-Benedict formula: Overestimates in obese: Avoid this setting!
    MEN: BMR = 66 + [13.7 x weight (kg)] + [5 x height (cm)] - [6.76 x age (years)]
    WOMEN: BMR = 655 + [9.6 x weight (kg)] + [1.8 x height (cm)] - [4.7 x age (years)]

2) Mifflin-St Jeor: Overestimates needs especially in obese.
    MEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] + 5
    WOMEN: BMR = [9.99 x weight (kg)] + [6.25 x height (cm)] - [4.92 x age (years)] -1613)

3) Katch-McArdle: Accurate if BF% is known and is especially good in leaner individuals.
    BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM)Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100

If you'd like to calculate on your own, you can get calculated TDEE using this chart:
    Multiply BMR x Activity factor = TDEE.
    1.2 = Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job)
    1.3-1.4 = Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week)
    1.5-1.6 = Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week)
    1.7-1.8 = Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week)
    1.9-2.0 = Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job)

Realize that this isn't just about your training but your lifestyle as well.
    Example: You work at a desk all day but come home and play with your children for an hour, lift weights 3x a week for an hour and jog 2mi every other day. In this example id use Moderate or possibly Active settings.

Heres a helpful link for figuring your BMR and TDEE:
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    Enter all pertinent info.
    Make GOAL weight the same as CURRENT weight to get todays TDEE.

Bottom Line: Know what your base caloric needs are and stay above them if you are active.
    Eating too low for extended periods of time may allow for weight loss, but you could still have high body fat.
    Skinny-fat: http://foodtrainers.blogspot.com/2012/09/are-you-skinny-fat-find-out-why.html

Once you know your base "Comatose" calories you can move on to TDEE.

3) TDEE
    Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    This is the total amount of calories you burn in a 24hour period.
    You wake up, brush your teeth, lift, run, play, work.....
    You get the idea.
    One thing I've noticed over the years is people underestimate activity.
    They say "I'm sitting at my computer all day long so i'm sedentary!"
    I'll ask "Workout routine?"
    They say "Oh i run for 3 hours a day and do CrossFit all weekend long!"
    ok3lf7_zpse5c82df9.gif

If you sit all day and barely walk and dont workout, Sedentary.
    If you workout 1-2x a week, Light.
    If you workout 3-5x a week, Moderate.
    If you workout 5+, active/very active.

Youll find these numbers at the bottom of the BMR page in Fat 2 Fit.
    You can also use other calculators around the internet.

Once you have TDEE you can decide what to set MFP calories to.
    I recommend -20% for individuals who are Obese and under.
    -30% for individuals who are Obese and over.

Bottom Line: Be realistic with activity. If you are a marathon runner trying to take a few pounds off, don't use sedentary settings. First start with the top number that applies to you and stick with it for several weeks. If nutrition is right and activity is right, you should maintain eating TDEE. To lose fat, subtract calories. To gain LBM, add calories. Lift weights, walk, sleep and eat right.
    Use your common sense.

I get this, except on MFP I mark sedentary because it automatically adds more calories when I workout. For example, my baseline is 1280 calories a day. I work from home at a computer, and have teenagers so we do a lot of sitting around on the computer or TV, I walk my dog 3 miles 6 days a week which takes 1 hour per day, and do some chores, cooking, light cleaning. So on the 6 days MFP bumps my daily caloric goal up to 1644. Because it does this I shouldn't need to change my settings right?
  • heybales
    Options
    I get this, except on MFP I mark sedentary because it automatically adds more calories when I workout. For example, my baseline is 1280 calories a day. I work from home at a computer, and have teenagers so we do a lot of sitting around on the computer or TV, I walk my dog 3 miles 6 days a week which takes 1 hour per day, and do some chores, cooking, light cleaning. So on the 6 days MFP bumps my daily caloric goal up to 1644. Because it does this I shouldn't need to change my settings right?

The above description is about taking a reasonable deficit too, mainly that actually. Based on amount you burn in total on average.

You currently have a deficit of ........? You didn't mention, do you know? Is it reasonable, is it 20%?

If you log all that extra activity like walking and exercise (cooking and cleaning is already in sedentary level actually, sorry), and take a reasonable deficit, then you may have matched the same idea.

But TDEE Deficit method doesn't need exact burns for your exercise, it balances out over a week as long as honest or more detailed.
    MFP method you need better accuracy on calorie burns since eating them back. Then again, if over, it many times makes up for the rather extreme deficit taken in the first place, so actually a safeguard.
  • kellyrichardson503
    Options
    i'm so stupid i don't get it lol mine say's this ecking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 31 year old female, 5.4 inches tall, weighing 153 pounds, BMI of 3688.6 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 142 lbs.

Harris-Benedict Formula
    There are a few different methods to calculating yourbasal metabolic rate (BMR). One of the most popular, developed in the early 1900's is called the Harris-Benedict formula. Based on this formula, your current BMR is 1200 calories.

Katch-McArdle Forumla
    The numbers above are fairly accurate, however they don't take into account your lean body mass. A more accurate formula that does take your lean body mass into account is the Katch-McArdle formula. Since many of us have scales that will tell us our current body fat, this formula may yield more accurate results. Based on the information you provided, body fat percentage of 26.9%, you have a lean body mass of 112 lbs., and your BMR is 1470 calories.

How Many Calories Should I Eat?
    Based on your goal weight, the following chart was generated. The chart shows the number of calories that you should eat on a daily basis to reach your goal weight. At Fat 2 Fit Radio we advocate eating like the thin, healthy person that you want to become. The calorie levels you see in the chart are not extreme, but they do create that all important caloric deficit that is required to get you to your goal weight in a safe manner. Once you reach your goal weight, you will continue eating the same number of calories for the rest of your life to maintain that weight. You'll never be on a diet again.

Based on how much activity you do on an average day, the calories in the right column will be the number of calories that you will be able to eat at your goal weight. If you start eating those calories right now (eating like the thinner you), you will eventually become that thinner person. As you get closer to your goal weight, your weight loss will start to slow down. It is OK to eat a few hundred calories less per day (200-300) to speed up your weight loss at this point.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1382
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1584
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 1786
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 1987
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2189
    If you have any questions on what you've read here, please contact us.

Go Back

Revised 2/23/1

so how many cals should i be having? atm i'm having about 1430? i jog a couple of times a wk, and i do walking most day's some times just 30 mins, and i do a hardcore buggy fitness and i mean hard lol i'm kinda at a stand still or i gain over night :( i keep thinking i should cut my cals? any help would be appreciated! i'm stupid!! WHEN I TYPED IT IN TO MFP light active its still giving me 1200?!!!!!!!!!! why does it do this! x

thanks x
  • heybales
    Options
    i'm so stupid i don't get it lol mine say's this ecking your BMR here on Fat 2 Fit Radio. If you're not already subscribed to Fat 2 Fit Radio, consider doing so today. Please visit the Subscribe page to get the podcast delivered automatically to your iTunes, Juice, e-mail inbox or the podcatcher of your choice for FREE.

Entered information: 31 year old female, 5.4 inches tall, weighing 153 pounds, BMI of 3688.6 (Obese).

From the information that you entered, you'd like to weigh 142 lbs.

so how many cals should i be having? atm i'm having about 1430? i jog a couple of times a wk, and i do walking most day's some times just 30 mins, and i do a hardcore buggy fitness and i mean hard lol i'm kinda at a stand still or i gain over night :( i keep thinking i should cut my cals? any help would be appreciated! i'm stupid!! WHEN I TYPED IT IN TO MFP light active its still giving me 1200?!!!!!!!!!! why does it do this! x

thanks x

Yes, you did it wrong.

Now, if you want to do it the fat2fit method, eat at the level correct for your level of activity, just read what it says.

If you want this method, reread how to do it because you did it wrong. For instance, what do you put in to the goal weight field?
    Careful, reread the instructions.

I'd suggest first understanding the principle - you are trying to eat less than what you burn each day.
    And make it reasonable so it's only fat, little chance of muscle mass.

Might try the spreadsheet on my profile page too, might find it easier. Stay on Simple Setup tab only, actually read what is being asked for and enter your stats, delete the sample data in the yellow cells.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    bump for reference later