Oatmeal

Options
2»

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal...I have it for breakfast a lot in the fall and winter. (Too hot here for a hot breakfast like that in the summer) I make steel cut oats in the crockpot and have enough for four or five breakfasts. Satisfying, delicious, healthy...what's not to love?
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is my favourite, Try it with crunchy nut peanut butter, put two teaspoons in.........Amazing!

I normally have a full cup of oats ( A lot I know) with some PB, but keeps me full for hours and hours, I then have a later lunch when everyone else is hungry : )

Try sprinkling cinnamon on it too, or chopped fruit, nuts etc
  • SouthernButt
    Options
    I make overnight oats and then doctor them to my liking after I reheat them in different variations like adding a few (cold) scoops to dark berry smoothies, adding an egg and other savory add-ins for a protein boost, eating with greek yogurt, walnuts or almonds and some form of fruit. It satisfies the sweet tooth that I get every once in a while when I add a bit of agave nectar.

I like the bulk steel cut. Also I've been reading about oatmeal flour and how it's an even substitute for whole wheat flour. Gluten free if you buy the certified organic GF form.

I love oatmeal!
  • thomasandrews
    Options
    I'm having quick oats ( what i had on hand) and 2tbps of flaxseed...yum. It went with my 3 eggs + whole wheat english muffin!!! Awesome breakfast won't be hungry until lunch!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    At least you don't eat 900 Calories for breakfast like I did a few days ago, lol. I really don't see any problem with your breakfast plan (personally).

Depends what you consider 'breakfast' I usually eat more than that between 5 and 11 am :p

Normally I have a double portion of oatmeal (60g) every morning with brown sugar & cinnamon. Then I follow with a couple boiled eggs, some Greek yogurt with fruit and protein powder LOL. Some people just need to eat more in the morning. Oatmeal is an awesome start!
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    At least you don't eat 900 Calories for breakfast like I did a few days ago, lol. I really don't see any problem with your breakfast plan (personally).

Depends what you consider 'breakfast' I usually eat more than that between 5 and 11 am :p

Normally I have a double portion of oatmeal (60g) every morning with brown sugar & cinnamon. Then I follow with a couple boiled eggs, some Greek yogurt with fruit and protein powder LOL. Some people just need to eat more in the morning. Oatmeal is an awesome start!

That is a big breakfast...........Ha Ha!!! Great to fuel your body for the day though!!
  • Docpremie
    Docpremie Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I just posted this in another thread, but it applies here too. I tried oatmeal in the beginning of my weight loss quest, but decided it used too many carb grams first thing in the morning, plus it didn't keep me full to lunch without a morning snack. I've since switched my breakfast around to take in a large amount of protein first thing in the morning. I find it's a much more satisfying start to my day, keep me full a good 4+ hours, and best yet, leaves me some carb for the end of the day! I love to have a sweet treat in the evening! I'm also on an 1800 cal/day diet, but I try to take in a minimum of 125-135 grams of protein/day to spare lean body mass (i.e. muscle) loss.

I have this for breakfast most every morning so that I have a good jump on my protein goals for the day.

Dole - Pineapple, Fresh, 1.5 oz
    Gourmet Nut - Dry Roasted Edamame, 1 oz (30g)
    Syntrax Nectar - Whey Protein Powder - Caribbean Cooler (pineapple coconut flavor), 1.5 scoops
    Chobani - Low Fat Plain Greek Yogurt, 6 oz (170g)
    Kashi - Go Lean Crunch - Honey Almond Flax, 0.5 cup

Nutritional info: calories 524, fat 10 grams, carbs 36 grams, protein 75 grams & fiber 12 grams.

It tastes amazing & is very filling. Plus it gets me more than halfway to my protein goal at the start of the day. It makes my macros & calories so much easier to manage without sweating my protein intake all day!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    My first meal of the day is almost always the same. I have about 1/2 cup (before cooking) of Old Fashioned first thing before heading to the gym. I mix a scoop of whey protein powder in a glass with 1/2 cup each of milk and water and pour half it over the oatmeal (drinking the other half) and put on a generous handful of berries. Gets me revved up for a workout without making me feel sluggish or bloated. Great way to start the day.