New York's Nina Davuluri crowned 2014 Miss America

Options
2»

Replies

• silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    She is beautiful on the outside- but from what has been reported she isn't beautiful on the inside. Calling other contestants fat..etc. Not impressed.

Do you really expect anything different from Miss America?

I mean, other than maps, and the iraq.

and south africa everywhere like such as.

but honestly, i was hoping for miss kansas. although i didn't care TOO much because i didn't even know the pageant already happened. i think it's great that an indian american won, though. miss america needed some diversity. and i don't know what she's actually like as a person, but apparently folks are saying not too shining on the inside. are there quotes?
  • CantStopWontStop92
    Options
    Personally, I'm not a fan because of her "fat as f***" comment. The industry is nasty enough without girls like that making crude and innappropriate attacks on one another. On the other hand, shame on the ignorance of those accusing her of being a terrorist. *facepalm* all over the place...
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Of course they would link her Indian heritage to 9/11....cuz there are lots of ignorant people in this world. Like the woman who pushed an Indian man infront of a train causing his death because she thought he was Muslim. Or the guy who murdered Indian Sikhs at a temple because he also thought they were Muslims. All this hatred and ignorance is just leading to more innocent people dying. When will we collectively learn to punish those individuals responsible for the actual crimes and not an entire race / religion?

I didn't see the pageant, but from what I've read about the winner, she deserved to win:

"The 24-year-old Fayetteville, New York, native was on the dean's list and earned the Michigan Merit Award and National Honor Society nods while studying at the University of Michigan, where she graduated with a degree in brain behavior and cognitive science. Her father, who emigrated from India 30 years ago, is a gynecologist, and Davuluri said she'd like to become a physician one day as well. During her year as Miss America she will serve as spokesperson for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) this year as she travels to Washington, D.C., to work with the Department of Education, according to a Miss America statement."
  • desigirl23
    desigirl23 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    On a more relevant to this board note, she apparently lost 50 lbs in about 2 years - was at 170 lbs at her heaviest.

Hope it was all lost in a healthy manner (suffered from Bulimia apparently during her teen years).
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Sickened at all of the backlash it has caused though.

This, too.

What backlash has there been?

There were lots of Twitter comments about her ethnicity, etc. Lots seemed to link her Indian heritage to 9/11 for some reason.

you mean she is not from the iraq? like such as?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When are we going to start criticizing her body?

Too fats on the left, too skinnies on the right. That's how we do it, correct?

Seriously, though, she's beautiful. And she's from my home state very near where I grew up, so that's cool. I don't watch pageants, though.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't like pageants, I think they're really stupid. even if it was a MR America pageant I would still find it boring and pointless. that being said, good for her, she's pretty and I'm sure she is excellent at dancing and giving vague, PC answers to mildly controversial questions.

^^^this

Wait I'm confused. Is this like a season of The Bachelor all in one night?

the only difference is that in the pageants they fight over a crown instead of a guy. also, the crown is much brighter than the actual bachelor.
  • patfriendly
    patfriendly Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Sickened at all of the backlash it has caused though.

This, too.

What backlash has there been?

Lots of people on twitter are posting racist comments about her. Read more on cnn site

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/16/showbiz/miss-america-racist-reactions/
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    She is beautiful on the outside- but from what has been reported she isn't beautiful on the inside. Calling other contestants fat..etc. Not impressed.

FFS get the facts straight before saying this kind of crap instead of just feeding the media frenzy. There is "supposedly" a recording of women talking in what was supposedly her hotel room taken from an adjacent room, where someone is supposedly heard to call the former Miss America (not a fellow contestant) "fat as s***". However, as far as I can tell this recording hasn't surfaced to the public (which in this day and age, it would if it was available), and there is zero proof that it whatever WAS said was even said by her.

However, go ahead and feel good about your self-righteousness as you condemn this stranger on the internet ;-)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    <<also from NY (not born here though) & also Indian...

What's to think?...she's cute as a button & nailed her talent requirement. Some of the other girls, not so much, but still...meh.
    They're all quite pretty & I still find it odd how one can compare one flower to another. :blushing:
    They're all lovely in their own way. ::shrug::

I never did get the whole beauty contest thing :yawn:
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't like pageants, I think they're really stupid. even if it was a MR America pageant I would still find it boring and pointless. that being said, good for her, she's pretty and I'm sure she is excellent at dancing and giving vague, PC answers to mildly controversial questions.

I agree with this, otherwise her body is awesome :-)
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    about the comments she supposedly made...really?
    young women in competition being catty?...you DON'T say :yawn:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    not impressed one way or another. :blushing:

tumblr_lngodaDewl1ql0sq0o1_500.gif