no one understands bra sizes

Options

Replies

• DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Well, you learn something new every day I suppose. All this time I just thought that the number was the bust measurement and the letter just represented how much of that number was breast (vs. rib cage, back fat, etc.)

How about the pant / dress sizes? That is just waist measurement plus 20, right? (ie: size zero = 20 inch waist, size 6 = 26 inch waist, etc.)

Nope I'm pretty sure women pant sizes are totally made up.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Well, you learn something new every day I suppose. All this time I just thought that the number was the bust measurement and the letter just represented how much of that number was breast (vs. rib cage, back fat, etc.)

How about the pant / dress sizes? That is just waist measurement plus 20, right? (ie: size zero = 20 inch waist, size 6 = 26 inch waist, etc.)

Generally yes but thanks to vanity sizing a 6 is more like a 27 waist. At this rate I wont have to lose any weight or inches and be a size2 in no time :)
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

You sir, are an ACTUAL genius. I totally never knew this about pants... but I think its true....

although, I think its waist measurement, minus twenty to get to the pants size.

I never even knew this. wow. thanks. TIL how women's clothing works.... from a guy.
  • LookMaNoHands
    LookMaNoHands Posts: 174 Member
    Options

You sir, are an ACTUAL genius. I totally never knew this about pants... but I think its true....

Totally what I meant. Brain fart.
  • donthesitate
    donthesitate Posts: 255 Member
    Options

Totally what I meant. Brain fart.

I wish waist size was the only factor though, my butts too big to fit in the size according to my waist :/
  • LookMaNoHands
    LookMaNoHands Posts: 174 Member
    Options

I never even knew this. wow. thanks. TIL how women's clothing works.... from a guy.

Don't go giving me too much credit. I only knew that because an ex of mine used to watch one of those fashion reality shows with all the gay guys making clothes. It was explained on there once, and I just have this quirk for retaining useless trivia like that. I would totally rule at Jeopardy.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I'm a size 6, and I wear 28 waist (or it 27?). It's not 26, I know that.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    yeah well...I just get a free bra measuring (considering it's pretty much free everywhere!!)
    from 34FF to 32FF !!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    You are right , in US sizes I thought i was a an ef 34 but am really a 32c
  • HermioneCantDraw
    Options

Part of it too has got to be, what kind of pants are you wearing. I know that when I wear jeans that only come to my hips, I can wear smaller sizes, but with my work pants, that actually come all the way up to my waist, I have go one size up. And that's when the whole subtract 20 thing actually applies to my pants size. So, with your pants, do they actually come all the way up to your waist? Does your waist measurement actually factor in?
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand, maybe op could give me a one-on-one lesson so I can fully appreciate what you are trying to tell me.
  • lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Even saleswomen in lingere shops, who should know this sort of thing, look at me and scoff "don't be silly, you're not an A!" when I ask if they stock a 40A. (they never do)
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Vanity sizing has all but slaughtered any rational system of measuring women's pants.

Agreed!
    43932452 Posts: 7,246 Member
    Options
    In for the education .. my brains are stored there!!

Actually I'm getting a real fitting next week.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Another thing to take into consideration is muscle / skeletal defects, such as myself w/ scoliosis. Getting a "sizing" doesn't help, the measurement 3 different locations/stores come up didn fit, since they are just taking the measurement of my torso/rib cage under the boob.

I remember when I started loosing noticeable amount of weight & when she did the measurement & came back w/ the sizes she calculated... I was SWIMMING in them. I tried to explain the fact my rib cage & back effected her measurement. She just looked at me like I was crazy and I left - got my own smaller sizes and tried different ones till they fit.

I used to wear a 46 DD, I now wear a 40 DD. The size she had me trying was a 46DDD (LOL).
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    What makes up a bra does not matter, it is what's inside that counts.
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I go by trial and error! Or sports bras, over the head and the cleavage is the perfect place to hold cellphones, money, keys, slices of lime.... hem.

Over all, I have no idea about a "size" because I have bras of all different sizes... after all, one girls 36 C is another girls 32 D, so, you know, don't stress!

Dont' know if its proven but I did see some reports that having your cell phone in cleavage can cause cancer. Seems to make as much sense as anything else. ( I don't really worry since I do not have enough to hold a phone :) )
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Even saleswomen in lingere shops, who should know this sort of thing, look at me and scoff "don't be silly, you're not an A!" when I ask if they stock a 40A. (they never do)

Yes! I went to get sized at VS once and the sales lady talked me into buying a bra I wasn't comfortable in and didn't fit me at all. Of course, I was young at the time and just assumed she knew what she was doing.

I'd like to add that although a 34D and a 36C will fit in the cup size, the band would still be an issue for some people. Both the cup and band size matters. To get the most wear out of your bra you're suppose to buy it with the hooks fitting at the loosest because the band stretches out over time. If you get a band that's already big you're not going to get much wear out of it.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Part of it too has got to be, what kind of pants are you wearing. I know that when I wear jeans that only come to my hips, I can wear smaller sizes, but with my work pants, that actually come all the way up to my waist, I have go one size up. And that's when the whole subtract 20 thing actually applies to my pants size. So, with your pants, do they actually come all the way up to your waist? Does your waist measurement actually factor in?

I haven't worn pants up to my waist since Clinton was president. :laugh: TBH, I'm probably more of a 4 now . I'm pretty sure my 4 jeans are 27. I've got to get my cold weather clothes out of storage. lol
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    What makes up a bra does not matter, it is what's inside that counts.

Why I :heart: you!!