Vegan Anyone?

Options
13»

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw vegan. I don't cook food.

So, you resort to dairy, but not cooking food?

Correct.

Ummm......vegans aren't supposed to eat dairy

It's not raw either.

Correct again. But it was after midnight and the fridge was nearly empty, so I ate some of the children's cottage cheese. Twice, in fact. The day he died, and the day of his funeral. Both days I failed to eat enough during the day and was stuck with what I had to choose from.
    Um what? That sounds terrible and sorry for your loss if you are being sincere but how was anyone meant to know that. It your previous reply's are contradictory and make no sense even with this to put it into context.

Yep..
    Hitting even my minimum calories without stepping outside of vegan into vegetarian is hard for me, too. I really don't want to include butters, cheese and other dairy, but on occasion when I find myself incredibly low in numbers (400-500 range), I'll have cottage cheese

I didn't think I need to put my personal loss out there to justify my actions to people who mean nothing to me. Therefore, the "occasion" I chose not to specify was my father's passing last month. At that time, I was not concerned about vegan, about cyber bullies, about judgmental strangers, about weight, or about anything other than the fact that both days all I could do was nibble because I had no appetite. Is there anything else you need from me? Because what I do in my life is far more important to you than you are to me.

There's a difference between eating it twice and having it occasionally. If you only ate it twice due to a circumstance rather than the need to meet a calorie goal...totally different and your wording reflected it was more than just a one/two time thing
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Is there anything else you need from me?

yes. for one, you could lighten up. If you're gonna claim to be a vegan, don't get upset when people try to understand why you're against cooking with vegetable oil.. but hey, cottage cheese is okay.

for another, you shouldn't be sitting here saying it's all gravy to just eat 1000 calories or so.. vegan or not. That's not healthy, regardless which way you look at it.

take a step back, you gave bad advice.. you were questioned on the advice you gave.. that didn't make sense... and now you're all butthurt and calling cyber bullying?

I'd really recommend a few days away from the computer.. or at least away from the forums.

and for a whole bunch of people that mean so little to you, you sure seem to take a lot of what we say personally...
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

I didn't think I need to put my personal loss out there to justify my actions to people who mean nothing to me. Therefore, the "occasion" I chose not to specify was my father's passing last month. At that time, I was not concerned about vegan, about cyber bullies, about judgmental strangers, about weight, or about anything other than the fact that both days all I could do was nibble because I had no appetite. Is there anything else you need from me? Because what I do in my life is far more important to you than you are to me.
    I am sure everybody is sorry for your personal loss, nobody had issue with that. It was the fact that you were the one who put dairy out there and also some very unhealthy advice about calorie intake.

Also you brought up the loss before anyone else did and that was your prerogative, if you didn't want it discussed why mention it in the first place as it had no relevance to OP situation.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I am sure everybody is sorry for your personal loss, nobody had issue with that. It was the fact that you were the one who put dairy out there and also some very unhealthy advice about calorie intake.

Also you brought up the loss before anyone else did and that was your prerogative, if you didn't want it discussed why mention it in the first place as it had no relevance to OP situation.

Blissfully ignored now.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Blissfully ignored now.

Seriously? Wow. Just wow.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Correct.

It's not raw either.

Correct again. But it was after midnight and the fridge was nearly empty, so I ate some of the children's cottage cheese. Twice, in fact. The day he died, and the day of his funeral. Both days I failed to eat enough during the day and was stuck with what I had to choose from.
    Um what? That sounds terrible and sorry for your loss if you are being sincere but how was anyone meant to know that. It your previous reply's are contradictory and make no sense even with this to put it into context.

Yep..
    Hitting even my minimum calories without stepping outside of vegan into vegetarian is hard for me, too. I really don't want to include butters, cheese and other dairy, but on occasion when I find myself incredibly low in numbers (400-500 range), I'll have cottage cheese

No-one is asking or expecting you to discuss it. Your initial post was misleading. Simple as that.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options

Blissfully ignored now.
    And yet you wrote that, interesting!...they say ignorance is bliss, so I imagine you to be full of bliss.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    You're vegan and want more calories? Eat more natural vegetable fats like olive oil, nuts, avocado etc. A handful of nuts can come to about 600 calories.
    I used to eat a vegan diet and by using soy margarine, flour and vegetable stock I made a pretty good creamy calorie dense pasta sauce which was great with asparagus, pasta, green beans and toasted almonds.
    There's plenty of calorie dense vegan foods, otherwise there would be no overweight vegans.

Make toasted bruschetta with herbs and tomatoes and olive oil... Drizzle salads with a garlic or chilli infused oil and top with avocado... There's so many options.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options

I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP: a couple more suggestions: nutritional yeast and hemp seed (they are complete proteins). Nutritional yeast is great on popcorn. Spray the popcorn with oil and sprinkle with it. It is also usually fortified with B12.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Blissfully ignored now.
    And yet you wrote that, interesting!...they say ignorance is bliss, so I imagine you to be full of bliss.

Full of bliss. And cottage cheese.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Blissfully ignored now.

Full of bliss. And cottage cheese.

Coffee, coffee everywhere.

--
    OP. Nuts. There is absolutely no reason to undereat if you include nuts and avocados and other calorie dense foods in your diet - 100 g of nuts exceeds 500 calories.

Of course, eat too many and there are side effects. Not rainbows.
  • markandel
    Options
    Hi - do you add fruit on the food counter? Apples etc add a lot of sugar-but it is natural, right? Other weight loss groups don't and tell you to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you want. Opinions please
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hi - do you add fruit on the food counter? Apples etc add a lot of sugar-but it is natural, right? Other weight loss groups don't and tell you to eat as much fruit and vegetables as you want. Opinions please

They have calories, so count them.
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Correct.

^YES! This! It makes me hysterical when ppl claim to be vegan but eat dairy- it's an animal product, remember *forehead slap*
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am a Vegan and I am struggling to meet my calorie goals. Before I started fitness and nutrition journaling I used to eat anything and everything that was considered to be Vegan. Now that I know better, I am steering clear of oils, fats, and processed foods as much as possible. As a result, I am eating a cleaner and leaner diet. Now I struggle daily to eat enough calories that are recommended (at least thru this site) as a suggested daily intake. Has anyone else had this problem? And if so, Do you have any advice on how to eat enough veggies and fruits to meet my goal of 1530 calories a day?

I am mostly vegan. It sounds like your problem is trying to steer clear of fats. It's actually a myth that dietary fat makes you fat, and fat is very important in your diet for maintaining metabolic and cellular function and aiding the absorption of (fat soluble) vitamins. I can't see your diary, but make sure you are eating enough fat. It may solve two problems at once.
  • dixiewk
    Options

I'm a level 5 vegan. I won't eat anything that casts a shadow.
    ...it's so decomposed...
  • Morn66
    Options
    I'm vegan, and because I'm not at all a fan of nuts (BLECH!) and am merely "Meh" on avocados, my answer is: Oil, oil, glorious oil! It's calorie-dense in a good way, if you use the right ones. I avoid packaged/highly processed stuff because I have to very closely monitor/restrict my sodium intake, so I'm always cooking stuff from scratch. Whenever I saute or fry something, it's always in a good amount of oil. Olive. Grapeseed. Sesame. Peanut. Coconut. Canola. Sunflower seed. I've got 'em all. What kind I use depends on what I'm cooking. I also cook rice/quinoa with a bit of oil (or full-fat coconut milk, yum!) in the water or broth. Tastes good, more calories, and makes the grain less stick-together in texture, which I prefer. Oil's good for increasing calorie content without adding more bulk because, as a vegan, I get plenty of bulk, thanks.

Aside from oil, I'm also a fan of Earth Balance and Veganaise. Sure, they're "processed" and contain OMG!SOY!...but I don't care. The latter I'll eat straight out of the jar, I swear. I use both in moderation, only because both contain a fairly decent amount of sodium, but I sure do use 'em!

And there's yet another reason for vegans to eat a good amount of fat: As a vegan, you are more of less guaranteed to be eating way more fiber than the average bear. (An average day for me is 50g of fiber; often it's more in the 70-80g range.) Believe it or not, lots of fiber can make you terribly constipated IF you're not consuming what you need to consume to get all that indigestible bulk moving through your guts. What do you need to accomplish that? Not water, necessarily; if you've got fiber overload, it will absorb excess water, expand, and make you even more constipated. Nope, what you need is fat, my friend, and a good amount of it, indeed.

So eat your fat, darling, and do a little happy yummy dance while you do it. Don't "avoid" it. If anything, if your fiber intake is high, you need to actively seek out fat, not avoid it. When you do that, you also get the fringe benefit of getting in enough calories as well as the other benefits of "good" fats.

Also, I live in the near-desert. Since I increased my oil/fat intake, I no longer have a problem with the ultra-dry, annoyingly itchy and flaky skin us desert-dwellers tend to get. Drinking tons of water didn't accomplish that, but a little more fat in the diet sure worked wonders. Bonus!

Oh, for the record, my macro goals are 65%/25%/10% carbs/fat/protein. (I have to limit protein for medical reasons.) I generally hit that pretty much dead-on, although I'll err on the high side in terms of fat occasionally, especially when I go nuts with the coconut oil/milk. But I harbor no regrets whatsoever. All your fat (and carbs) are belonging to me. :)
  • leaaa92
    leaaa92 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Loved all the information on this thread (besides the drama lol). I've been searching through forums to find the best way to add more protein into my vegan diet without upping my calorie intake too much. I've been trying to lose weight and lately I've been hitting the gym every night, and according to MFP, I'm not getting enough protein but I usually reach my calorie goals for the day. I think I'll have to buy a vegan protein powder or protein bars.. Hmm, any suggestions from vegans who workout and are trying to lose weight? Things to add to my diet that are high in protein but low in calories? :)
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Incorporate some healthy fats. Like nuts and seeds, avocados ? I'm no fan of oils either, I stay away from them.
    Had that problem too in the beginning. I just eat more carbs. But certainly do not cut out all fats, as your body needs some. :)