Replies

• MzManiak
    MzManiak Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Also, the "I don't have time" excuse. I HATE that one! :explode:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious, what fitness "myths" irritate you?

None.

Life's too short to get irritated by the small stuff.

People are going to do what they're going to do - I'm going to do what I'm going to do - obladi oblada, life goes on.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    It gets me when people say that all the weight will come back on after I go off my "diet." I'm tired of telling them that I am not on a "diet" and that I am trying to eat and live healthier. And the other, when/if they notice a weight loss they want to know what diet I am on. I just say "calorie deficit." It usually takes a minute before that sets in. By then, I change the subject!

Why would someone even tell you that your weight is going to come back on??? Not very supportive. Very negative of those people.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It gets me when people say that all the weight will come back on after I go off my "diet." I'm tired of telling them that I am not on a "diet" and that I am trying to eat and live healthier. And the other, when/if they notice a weight loss they want to know what diet I am on. I just say "calorie deficit." It usually takes a minute before that sets in. By then, I change the subject!

Why would someone even tell you that your weight is going to come back on??? Not very supportive. Very negative of those people.

Agreed!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    women can get too bulky, and its gross.
  • suzzinkmartin
    Options
    That makes me the craziest! "You're too thin"
    I hit the 90 lb lost mark from my very heaviest last week and when I mentioned it to a coworker, she said "so are you done now, you're too thin". I quickly changed the subject!
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    People assuming that when you count your calories that it means you're on a very low calorie diet. When the difference between losing weight and maintaining can be as small as 250 calories a day, tracking can be the best way to do that safely. Just because I write down what I'm putting into my mouth doesn't mean I'm restricting; it's helping to make sure I don't go overboard.

And the people who only listen with the intention of telling you what you're doing wrong, rather than congratulate you for the results you are getting. Basically, "Well, you could be doing [this] better."

It's really deflating when you find something that works for you, but someone else is convinced that they know more or better than you, and can't keep their mouth shut.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Than when I'm having a conversation with another woman and she says she doesn't like lifting because she's afraid of getting bulky or says to me something along the lines of oh, you're lifting because you're trying to bulk up huh? Excuse me??? NOPE. WRONG.

I had this happen over the weekend and I immediately had to change the subject because I could no longer have a serious conversation with the other person. The misconception with women lifting and getting "bulky" drives me insane. Also, what if I was trying to "bulk up?" That's my business, and mine alone.

I'm lifting to be healthy, have muscle, lean out, burn more calories, increase my metabolism, improve my running, have a nice butt, be strong, look good naked, live a long life, and plenty more reasons.

Rant over.

So I'm curious, what fitness "myths" irritate you?

I hate this, too. I only recently started lifting and one of my best male friends/coworker automatically started worrying that I was going to end up looking like a body builder. I've no idea why he even cares what I do with my body, but that's another question for another day. It took a while for me to convince him I wasn't going to magically bulk up.

I had this discussion with my BF this weekend too- he asked "Why are you lifting weights, you're going to get big" and I had to try to explain to him that WOULDN'T happen without eating at a surplus. He's still having trouble understanding that I just want to get strong and decrease body fat %. Whatever, I'm sure he'll enjoy the end result when he realizes he was wrong.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Not a fitness myth, but my big irritation is from my couch-potato family members when I tell them about my fitness goals and routines..."well, don't overdo it". Overdo it??? I haven't reached my goal yet! How can I overdo it? :grumble:
  • srcardinal10
    Options
    That makes me the craziest! "You're too thin"

You know, my mom is "too thin" actually. Her doctor has told her to gain weight back because she's underweight. She's just scared of being obese again so I worry about her continuing to lose weight because she's already a THIN THIN woman.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    It seems that most people know what's best for everyone else. LOL! I get unwanted advice on the daily but just brush it off. I'm surprised i've lost nearly 100 pounds without asking permission to eat and drink everything daily. ;) The thing I dislike the most is when people point out the sugar free option when we go out. Pretty much everything at the store has a sugar free variety and most women think that is how they are going to lose weight. Because I'm trying to lean out even more, people always say, "Oh hey! Look there's a sugar free one!" I'm like, "Enjoy it! I'm not eating that s***."

JazzerciseN - you are speaking my language... I lost 46 pounds and now people will be with me at meals and say "Can you eat this or that?".. seriously, why do you care , we are at a restaurant and I can pick my food out... thanks, but no thanks for the help...
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    How about this one....muscle weighs more than fat.
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Everything on Pinterest.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    It irritates me to no end the way people's eyebrows go up if they see me eat ONE thing that they consider "bad" food and then they tsk tsk and say "you won't be able to eat anything else for the rest of the dayyyyy!"

OK, not people...one person....my mother. I love her but dammit, woman, can I please enjoy a slice of pizza without you lecturing me about my "diet" and my fat *kitten*? Jeezus!

hehe...sorry, touched a nerve. :tongue:
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to ferociously consume a chicken sandwich between sets and meet questioning glances with a stare-down and the declaration that I AM BULKING.

You know, some of us like the aesthetics of a muscular woman. Damn anyone else who disapproves.
  • 1linde
    1linde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just smile say thank you, that is interesting, glad that works for you or the like. Then just think what you really want to say. Save your breath beyond that as there is no reasoning with idiotic beliefs unless you actually want to spend your time discussing it.

I still have a ways to go, but also have seem a lot of success so just state well it works for me. My pet peeve are people who are out of shape and overweight who start telling me what I should be doing to get results when I am getting results already. The other is being told stories of others who are progressing faster than I am....we are all on our own journey and I think we all are trying to achieve a lifestyle that suits us, our age, interest, time, current state of health and budget.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I walk a fine line in discussing diet and fitness with my "real life" friends and family. On one hand, I'm not about to get into a pissing contest with someone who doesn't know anything about lifting and simply likes to argue.

On the other hand, some people are genuinely curious about why I lift, why I eat the way I do, etc. They want to lose weight, they've seen me do it, and they want to understand how I've been able to do it without running myself silly on a treadmill or restricting myself to a diet of lettuce and shakes. The last thing I want to do is discourage them by acting like I'm above having a conversation about it with them. If I can tell the person is serious and I know he or she is a seasoned thinker and has a solid work ethic, I'll talk about it all day.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I also get the bulky from lifting thought from my friends. One who is a biologist told me that if I want to lose weight I should stop lifting and do more cardio.

I even get it at the gym. Usually, the only female lifters are me and a few college athletes. The rest of the girls stay on the treadmill or elliptical and when they see me lifting stare at me like, "What the hell is she doing???"
  • jennybennypenny
    jennybennypenny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The things that irritate me most are when I'm excited about my muscle definition and someone tells me "women with too much muscle look gross--don't look like that". I also can't stand when people notice I've lost weight and then proceed to tell me how it's bad or I'm too skinny or assume I'm unhealthy. I couldn't work out and lift as much as I do if I didn't eat, people!
  • srcardinal10
    Options
    Everything on Pinterest.

LMFAO!!!!!!