Top 10 Reasons to avoid soy at all costs

Options
2»

Replies

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    i love tahini over chicken shwarma, and did not realize it was soy... its the only thing i like.

I dont wish to read all 10 links to find out if tahini is gonna hurt me, but by the rest of you all's answers, I think I will continue to eat tahini as much as I want.

Where I come from, tahini is sesame seeds. A soy version would be lower fat.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    One of the articles cited as "evidence" against consuming soy products:

Persistent sexual arousal syndrome associated with increased soy intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422864?dopt=Abstract

cue the posts from wives complaining about their husbands' sudden interest in force feeding them tofu . . .

*runs to grocery store to buy every soy product on the shelves*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't touch the stuff...except for soy sauce...otherwise...nasty.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    cue the posts from wives complaining about their husbands' sudden interest in force feeding them tofu . . .

LOL!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If I stopped eating all the things various people tell me to stop eating, I'd starve. That's just not a good look for me.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you eat. You eat soy (for the most part)

Other Names for Soy
    Soy is a common ingredient in many Asian cuisines, and may be identified by its name in other languages. Some of the names for soy are:

•Bean curd
    •Bean sprouts
    •Edamame (fresh soybeans)
    •Kinako
    •Miso (fermented soybean paste)
    •Natto
    •Nimame
    •Okara
    •Shoyu
    •Soy sauce
    •Soya
    •Soybean (curds, granules)
    •Tamari
    •Tempeh
    •Tofu (dofu, kori-dofu)
    •Yuba
    Soy Ingredients
    Ingredients on a label are not always recognizable as soy. These ingredients are created from soy that has been processed in some way:

•Hydrolyzed soy protein (HSP)
    •Mono- and di-glycerides
    •MSG (monosodium glutamate)
    •Soy (albumin, cheese, fiber, grits, milk, nuts, sprouts, yogurt, ice cream, pasta)
    •Soy lecithin (see above)
    •Soy protein (concentrate, hydrolyzed, isolate)
    •Soybean oil (see above)
    •Teriyaki sauce
    •Textured vegetable protein (TVP)
    Possible Soy Ingredients
    These ingredients may or may not contain soy. Call the manufacturer of the product of interest to find out the source of the ingredient.

•Bulking agent
    •Hydrolyzed plant protein (HPP) or hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP)
    •Gum arabic
    •Guar gum
    •Lecithin
    •Mixed tocopherols
    •Natural flavoring
    •Stabilizer
    •Thickener
    •Vegetable gum, starch, shortening, or oil
    •Vitamin E
    Foods That May Contain Soy
    These foods often contain soy. You should be extra cautious about eating these foods if you are unable to get a complete ingredient list.

•Asian cuisine (Korean, Japanese, Thai, Chinese, etc.)
    •Baked goods and baking mixes
    •Bouillon cubes
    •Candy
    •Cereal
    •Chicken (raw or cooked) that is processed with chicken broth
    •Chicken broth
    •Chocolate
    •Deli meats
    •Energy bars, nutrition bars
    •Imitation dairy foods, such as soy milks, vegan cheese, or vegan ice cream
    •Infant formula
    •Margarine
    •Mayonnaise
    •Meat products with fillers, for example, burgers or sausages
    •Nutrition supplements (vitamins)
    •Peanut butter and peanut butter substitutes
    •Protein powders
    •Sauces, gravies, and soups
    •Smoothies
    •Vegetable broth
    •Vegetarian meat substitutes: veggie burgers, imitation chicken patties, imitation lunch meats, imitation bacon bits, etc.

*source
    http://foodallergies.about.com/od/soyallergies/a/List-Of-Soy-Ingredients-To-Avoid-When-Following-A-Soy-Free-Diet.htm

(sorry don't know how to post links in here)
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    i love tahini over chicken shwarma, and did not realize it was soy... its the only thing i like.

I dont wish to read all 10 links to find out if tahini is gonna hurt me, but by the rest of you all's answers, I think I will continue to eat tahini as much as I want.

oh no wonder i like it.. where did i get the impression it was made of soy? thank you for clarifying! I thought that it was a soy product (it sorta looks like soy milk)... and i thought i was eating something of soy :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

oh no wonder i like it.. where did i get the impression it was made of soy? thank you for clarifying! I thought that it was a soy product (it sorta looks like soy milk)... and i thought i was eating something of soy :)
    Tahini is tasty stuff. I love it in baba ganoush, and on falafel. Have you tried edamame, lightly steamed fresh (or frozen) soybeans, with a little salt? They're not at all like tofu or other processed forms of soy.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Everything is unhealthy and will kill me eventually. Meat, dairy, soy... If I like it, I'll eat it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    One of the articles cited as "evidence" against consuming soy products:

Persistent sexual arousal syndrome associated with increased soy intake.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16422864?dopt=Abstract

I need more soy in my life lol
  • Kitpurr
    Kitpurr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I eat any fermented version of soy without blinking, the Japanese have been eating Tempeh, Miso etc. for thousands of years without ill effects. The really processed stuff I try not to go overboard on. Everything in moderation.