And I thought I wasn't a prude! But really? Weird gym exp

Options

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, nudity issues are cultural issues. I live in Korea and go to public baths like this one where friends and family go together to wash each other. There is no issue with nudity here and I've lost a lot of my issues with it as well (after living here for over 2 years now). You learn that it's a beautiful thing to see grandfather, his son, and his grandson all washing together and school friends doing the same.

...and going from various baths and steam rooms of different temps - still naked for a couple hours.

korean_sauna_shower-300x199.jpg

Not gonna lie, this sounds creepy.
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I can understand why that might be a bit surprising to walk in on. In North American society, nakedness, especially in semi-public areas has been pretty heavily stigmatized.

But, if you ever travel to other parts of the world I think you'd be surprised at the variety of traditional and cultural habits as well how nudity is viewed within them.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I just have to say, nudity issues are cultural issues. I live in Korea and go to public baths like this one where friends and family go together to wash each other. There is no issue with nudity here and I've lost a lot of my issues with it as well (after living here for over 2 years now). You learn that it's a beautiful thing to see grandfather, his son, and his grandson all washing together and school friends doing the same.

...and going from various baths and steam rooms of different temps - still naked for a couple hours.

I live in Japan, same thing here. I have probably seen thousands of naked women over the years. There's really nothing wrong or sexual about it.
    I also find the image of mother and daughters, or friends scrubbing each other's backs very warm and touching.
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well no, it's not a nude beach, but the whole point of having a locker room is so that you can comfortably go about the business of showering, etc. I'm sorry that she exceeded your comfort boundaries, but she was not doing anything wrong.
  • mooie70
    mooie70 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You seem to be uncomfortable with nakedness. It wasn't like she was drying her intimate areas under the hand dryer.

thanks for that mental image. truly.

Have you ever seen someone skydive with their mouth open?

:laugh:

I just spat my coffee...
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I can understand why that might be a bit surprising to walk in on. In North American society, nakedness, especially in semi-public areas has been pretty heavily stigmatized.

But, if you ever travel to other parts of the world I think you'd be surprised at the variety of traditional and cultural habits as well how nudity is viewed within them.

Yep second this, they're definitely much more relaxed about nudity in Europe
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'd think that was kind of on the exhibitionist side of gym nudity, but maybe she wanted to be totally cooled down before she put her clothes on? It takes me quite a while to get the body temp down after a workout.
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I couldn't care less if someone saw me naked.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    You seem to be uncomfortable with nakedness. It wasn't like she was drying her intimate areas under the hand dryer.

I think forgoing the ganja tonight was a solid choice. I can't sleep now because of the nightmares.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Not gonna lie, this sounds creepy.

haha... I did at first but I guess I'm used to it now.

Imagine this...but without the clothes.
    0203-hyunbin-andy.jpg

..and some are very very nice..
    bath+house.jpg

..and some are very plain
    Korea-0014657.jpg

..and later you join in the public area (for both men/women) to eat snacks, watch tv, relax, sleep, etc...

jjimjilbang_korea.jpg
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

I think forgoing the ganja tonight was a solid choice. I can't sleep now because of the nightmares.

You're welcome. :smile:
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I did not have a problem with everybody being naked in the soaking springs in Japan. I guess because it is expected.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Today at the gym, I had the weirdest experience.
    Normally it is pretty empty (I work out at lunch in a hotel gym) but today there was another woman. She was probably in her late 50's, early 60's, a little overweight.

She was sitting in the middle of the locker room, next to the mirror console, drying her hair COMPLETELY BUCK NAKED!
    I was trying to get my things for shower while trying to avoid looking at her -- not easy with her being right there and next to my locker too. So I got into the shower, was done 15 minutes later, when I was happy to hear the hairdryer was off. When I walked out, I found her putting on all of her make-up, still ALL naked. She did not start getting dressed until every last shred of make-up and hair was done.

Now I thought I was fairly easy going -- I normally change, even my bra, right in the locker room, without worrying too much about covering up or anything. I try to do it fairly quickly though. (Today I went out of her sight to change, just because she creeped me out). I sometimes ran in sports bra. I can even work out in sports bra. I never thought that I am uncomfortable with nudity. But that proved that, yes, I can be.

I mean as far as sequence of events goes, doesn't it make more sense to first put on some panties/bra on, than dry hair and do make-up if you are in a public locker room? That takes 3 seconds. She was in there all naked for at least 25 minutes after I came in, and don't know how long before that.

And the thing is, after she was done getting dressed, she looked very well groomed, dressed and presentable. More so than an average woman of her age. Which is completely unexpected, since you would assume that someone who behaves in that way to look different.
    :huh: You say she has an issue? Sounds like more like you're the one with the issue of nudity. We were born naked..it's a gym, you get naked at a gym when you shower. Still not understanding why you were so weirded out.:laugh:

Sound more like you have more issues with your naked body than the women simple getting ready after her workout.

Pretty great when women are comfortable enough to not be ashamed of their bodies, not point in body shaming.

Maybe one day you'll get there... didn't look at your age... perhaps it's an age thing with you, Women seem to get more comfy with their own bodies as we get older.

shrugs...... still don't understand your freaking out though, you have seen naked women before right? She wasn't walking down the street...she was in the LOCKER ROOM...for gods sake!:noway: :laugh:

Regarding 'your' sequences of events at the gym... that is YOURS...maybe not the rest of ours... Honestly? Maybe it's time you gave up the gym and bought some videos for home workouts.

You can even wear all your clothes while working out and in the shower too if you like. :wink:
    Your body, your freedom!:drinker:
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Considering OP said the locker room is normally empty, if she is an exhibitionist, she is not a very good one :laugh:
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Wow. I read some of the comments people made and I must be a prude too. I would have felt uncomfrotabke also. I believe the norm is to get dressed than do your hair and makeup. She is probably very proud of her body. I would have taken myself to a sperate area and left her to have her nudist colonley all to herself. A girl told me at her gym a lady was blow drying her private parts. I am 70 and prefer to get dressed in a private room unless I am with Clint Eastwood or Richard Gere. Haaa
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

I live in Japan, same thing here. I have probably seen thousands of naked women over the years. There's really nothing wrong or sexual about it.
    I also find the image of mother and daughters, or friends scrubbing each other's backs very warm and touching.

I think putting it into context that yes it's a beautiful thing between mother/daughter/friends. However at my swimming baths I have ended up in the communal showers with a woman who liked to take off her costume for a full shower before. I did shrug it off as I'm fine with nudity, but if she'd produced a loofah & asked me to scrub her down I wouldn't have been quite so keen...
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'd shower with clothes on if I could.

That would be me!

It's a bit weird but it's not that weird. She could have been doing a lot worse!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'd think that was kind of on the exhibitionist side of gym nudity, but maybe she wanted to be totally cooled down before she put her clothes on? It takes me quite a while to get the body temp down after a workout.

Now that I think of it, I don't know what she was doing. But she did not work out. I was in the gym for about an hour and I was the only person working out in the entire place. It did not occur to me before. Maybe she was coming from the pool.

Still, having panties on does not change much in cooling body down after a workout and a shower.