And I thought I wasn't a prude! But really? Weird gym exp

Options

Replies

• LMick1986
    Options
    I'm actually really confused by your last paragraph. "And the thing is, after she was done getting dressed, she looked very well groomed, dressed and presentable. More so than an average woman of her age. Which is completely unexpected, since you would assume that someone who behaves in that way to look different." What is that supposed to mean? Someone that behaves in that way should look different?
    It's a gym. You get sweaty at a gym. You shower at a gym. I know myself, I don't like putting clothes on right after a shower because my body is still sticky. I would do all this naked at the gym too.....but I had a weird experience once that stopped me. A little four-ish year old boy came in with his mom. She went in the bathroom and he stared at me for (to me, it seemed like) a little too long. He then came back around the corner and pulled his pants down at me. I was speechless! Sooooooo, I decided to start putting clothes on. However, I don't find anything in your story odd, aside from your last paragraph and the fact that you only sometimes run in a sport bra. :happy:
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    but if she'd produced a loofah & asked me to scrub her down I wouldn't have been quite so keen...

I once went with a Korean friend. We did as the Korean friends do. Then he went off to another bath while I scrubbed my front side. An old Korean guy sat next to me, asked me something in Korean, grabbed his scrub cloth, and proceeded to scrub my back. Yes, that was creepy...and painful. I kindly replied with 내 친구 (nae chingu) to tell him my friend had already done it.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    A lot of the women at my ymca do all that...all ages and shapes. They do not seem the least bit embarrassed or perhaps enjoy walking around bare *kitten*. I wouldn't do it. I have walked naked to the scale many times tho :|
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Pretty great when women are comfortable enough to not be ashamed of their bodies. Its called dressing room for a reason , you can get nekkid in there without being judged. Me personally , i have trouble keeping my kit on after a few beers. Thats kinda different tho. :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I'd think that was kind of on the exhibitionist side of gym nudity, but maybe she wanted to be totally cooled down before she put her clothes on? It takes me quite a while to get the body temp down after a workout.

Now that I think of it, I don't know what she was doing. But she did not work out. I was in the gym for about an hour and I was the only person working out in the entire place. It did not occur to me before. Maybe she was coming from the pool.

Still, having panties on does not change much in cooling body down after a workout and a shower.

Personally, I would have at least had underwear on because a) I'm pretty self conscious and b) Ummmm ewwww, what if everyone was just sitting on everything naked and....ewwww. :laugh:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    LOL! You sound like my teenage son. He's told me there were entirely too many naked old men in the locker room - as in one or more!!

That is totally the way I get ready at home. I hate to get dressed when I'm all hot and damp. And I don't want to get make-up on my clothes. So yeah, getting dressed is the last thing I do at home. At the gym though I get dressed first - but that's probably more just my own issues than anything else.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for overwhelming majority of people here it is completely normal to first style hair, than do make-up, than put on underwear.

If I did not post this, I would not have learned this. Good to know.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    A lot of the women at my YMCA do all that...all ages and shapes. They do not seem the least bit embarrassed or perhaps enjoy walking around bare *kitten*. I wouldn't do it. I have walked naked to the scale many times tho :|
    Same at my gym...ppl are pretty comfortable, probably getting showered and dressed the same way as at home. I've always figured that was it... they get outta the shower at home and do the makeup etc.

Ditto on the scale... I think some ppl are simply more comfortable with the human body than others, that's probably what it comes down to in the end.

I haven't read any of the other responses, just noticed yours so thought I'd reply.:happy:
    Pretty great when women are comfortable enough to not be ashamed of their bodies. Its called dressing room for a reason , you can get nekkid in there without being judged. Me personally , i have trouble keeping my kit on after a few beers. Thats kinda different tho. :laugh:
    I like your attitude:tongue:

Personally, I would have at least had underwear on because a) I'm pretty self conscious and b) Ummmm ewwww, what if everyone was just sitting on everything naked and....ewwww. :laugh:
    That's what towels are for:wink: ... yea I don't advise just sitting on a bench naked without a towel under but probably most of us use a towel to sit on.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really confused by your last paragraph. "And the thing is, after she was done getting dressed, she looked very well groomed, dressed and presentable. More so than an average woman of her age. Which is completely unexpected, since you would assume that someone who behaves in that way to look different." What is that supposed to mean? Someone that behaves in that way should look different?
    It's a gym. You get sweaty at a gym. You shower at a gym. I know myself, I don't like putting clothes on right after a shower because my body is still sticky. I would do all this naked at the gym too.....but I had a weird experience once that stopped me. A little four-ish year old boy came in with his mom. She went in the bathroom and he stared at me for (to me, it seemed like) a little too long. He then came back around the corner and pulled his pants down at me. I was speechless! Sooooooo, I decided to start putting clothes on. However, I don't find anything in your story odd, aside from your last paragraph and the fact that you only sometimes run in a sport bra. :happy:

:noway: wtf
  • abberbabber
    Options

That's what towels are for:wink: ... yea I don't advise just sitting on a bench naked without a towel under but probably most of us use a towel to sit on.

If you're going to sit on it, why not just have it wrapped around? I understand the sweaty thing, but I've never thought having a towel wrapped around me was that suffocating lol
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

If you're going to sit on it, why not just have it wrapped around? I understand the sweaty thing, but I've never thought having a towel wrapped around me was that suffocating lol
    [/quote]

The towel not being wrapped around allows things to air dry.
  • abberbabber
    Options

The towel not being wrapped around allows things to air dry.
    [/quote]

I get that but....maybe I'm just a prude :laugh:
  • abberbabber
    Options
    Ok I am having serious issues with quotes tonight!!! >.< :laugh:
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's "body shaming" to find it weird. First of all....gym showers creep me out with germs---who knows how well the last person wiped and now they're sitting on your bench naked for the next 10 minutes....and the person before that probably had athlete's foot on that bench... And I think modesty is not out of style. I for one, have never felt comfortable naked around others, nor will I even when I lose more weight.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I dont think you are being a prude. I would find it weird too. Not like ewww shes naked but okay, thats kind of odd. The gym locker room, Still a public place. Everyone should feel comfortable. I would at least put on a towel. But honestly, my mom is the SAME way. We moved in to help take care of her ( hubs, kids n I) Shes not very old early 60's but she has problems health wise. Anyways she will walk from her room to the bathroom nude, answers her room door nude, lets the dogs out in the morning nude, even turns on the ac ( which is next to our room) nude. It reeeeally bothers my hubby. Bugs me too. Idk maybe its an older person thing? No matter how many times we ask her to put on a robe, she just brushes us off. Granted, its in her home, but I wouldn't walk around my mother in laws house nude and she wouldnt do it either lol. So again, older person thing????
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Don't go to a gym in Europe or far east Asia, you might potentially lose your mind.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    You seem to be uncomfortable with nakedness. It wasn't like she was drying her intimate areas under the hand dryer.

thanks for that mental image. truly.

Have you ever seen someone skydive with their mouth open?

:laugh:

Yes but I will never look at a skydiver again without that mental image. Thats the product of a disturbed mind
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Don't go to a gym in Europe or far east Asia, you might potentially lose your mind.

haha...yes she would. My gym also provides a workout uniform for everyone and also sweat towels and bath towels. The bath towels are only like a 12"x6" rectangle. You can't wrap it around anything......well....maybe one thing. :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Ok, so for overwhelming majority of people here it is completely normal to first style hair, than do make-up, than put on underwear.

If I did not post this, I would not have learned this. Good to know.

I have seen many naked ladies -- because a lot of my gym background has happened at the Y; have also seen comfortable nudity while travelling -- but I actually wouldn't say this order of grooming events is typical, no.

OTOH, it doesn't not make sense, either. I can see this logic: put lotions in hair bc it takes longest to dry; leave yoni to last, to benefit from maximal air-drying potential before dressing (may be more or less important after a certain age??); do makeup in between to make best use of time.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options

haha...yes she would. My gym also provides a workout uniform for everyone and also sweat towels and bath towels. The bath towels are only like a 12"x6" rectangle. You can't wrap it around anything......well....maybe one thing. :)

They provide a workout uniform?!! :noway: Would this happen to be one of the new fitness centres in North Korea that they've built to promote tourism?