tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    My first and only (so far) protein powder is:

Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard.

120 calories
    24g Protein
    5.5g BCAA
    4g glutamine

I got Vanilla Ice Cream flavor and am not a huge fan taste wise - only 70 more servings to go though :sick:
  • ceejatec
    ceejatec Posts: 6
    Options
    As promised:

Syntha-6 Cookies and Cream
    So-so. Not unpleasant tasting, but nothing special. Tastes better than it smells which is good because it smells pretty funky. Also, the little "cookie" pieces in mostly just stick to the shaker bottle, which makes it harder to rinse out.
    Mixes best with a bit of crushed ice and 6oz water to one scoop. Mixes fine with just a shaker bottle.
    Serving size: 1 scoop (42g), Calories: 200, Fat 6g (2g saturated), Carbs 14g (5g fiber, 2g sugars), Protein 22g.

I doubt I'll re-order this, since it's (much) less tasty than the Strawberry Milkshake, and has 1g more carbs and 10 more calories to boot. But I'll finish off the bottle.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you like mint, I would highly suggest the Syntrax mint cookie instead. It isn't as pure as some, but more so than the Syntha and it is probably the best tasting protein powder I've had, kinda like a mint oreo (more on this in my first post). It is also filling enough to get me to lunch time, though to be fair, I usually have a small breakfast (under 300 cals). The little cookie bits do get stay in the bottle a bit but I've never had a problem rinsing them out.

ETA: Thank you for adding your review!
  • Adirafox
    Adirafox Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Bumping so people see this! I'm trying to increase my protein intake and looking for protein powders, but scared to take the plunge into the giant buckets because I definitely don't like to waste, so I will try really hard to use it all!
  • Abram86
    Abram86 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    IMO the best tasting protein shake has to be the Syntha-6 Chocolate flavor. Its just like having chocolate milk.
  • stephv38
    stephv38 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to join this train, just cant get enough protein otherwise...
  • genghis54
    genghis54 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    try discount supplements on line, they are very good quick and no postage. their own one is about £26 and excellent, hope this helps
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Nice flavor reviews but I think it's more important to look at the type of protein and what's in it when deciding, instead of how it tastes.
    Most of them listed are low quality whey concentrates stuffed with fillers. Its better to look for whey protein isolates which are cross flow microfiltered as this is a more pure protein with less fillers and more available nutrients

This 1000 times. Makes me cringe to see people buying Walmart "junktein".

That being said, any flavor of Gold Standard by Optimum Nutrition.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Evox Synergy Whey is my staple

1 serving
    24g protein
    1.9g carbs
    1g fat
    1.4g fiber

Chocolate flavour

Taste : 7/10

Best tasting stuff I kind get in my country

Id like some Trutein reviews think I might order some .
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Tried the Optimum Nutrition whey protein powder in Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. Sounded like it would be good. GROSS!!!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Natural Whey Protein Vanilla Creme
    Tastes awful! Would not drink it plain if someone had a gun to my head. If you put the right stuff in, you can't taste the flavor of the protein powder at all, thank god. I wanted something as natural as possible though since I'm breastfeeding.
    Best with (IMO): Strawberries and peanut butter, or strawberries and a Jell-O Double Chocolate sugar free pudding pack (tastes like a chocolate covered strawberry, yummm)
    Protein Type: Protein Blend (Whey Protein, Concentrate, Whey Protein Isolate)
    Price:$12.72 (I have Amazon Mom, plus a subscribe and save discount, if you don't have those, it's $15.90) per 1.6 lbs.
    Purchased: Amazon.com
    Serving Size: 1 scoop (33g), Calories: 130, Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 6g, Protein: 23g

This is what I use. I doubt it passes the quality control requirements for some folks but it's what I use because it's CHEAP! It tastes good in milk, not great but good for my tastes. If my gains start to taper off too much, maybe I'll consider putting in the green for something higher quality. It only constitutes about 30g of my total protein at the moment so I'm not overly concerned.

Good thread. Lots of good information. Thanks for posting it.