Why are US meal portions so big??

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I clearly know I don't need to be white knighted when I'm asking a ******* question.

He stated why he keeps posting in the thread. You posted what you did as a question. Do you not see how that reads as a sarcastic accusation?

If I'm wrong and your intention was something else, feel free to explain. But so far you've only convinced me that was, in fact, what you meant.

I'm sorry, I think you're laboring under the belief that I'm asking you something, or that I'm hoping to get some sort of input or insight from you. I appreciate your attempts to add to my body of knowledge by attempting to address a question which is not yours, but at this time, I have no questions, queries, or inquiries that are appropriate to you.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Should you have any feedback, please let us know in a customer service survey we will be sending within the next 48 hours. Again, thank you for your patronage.

Dude. Seriously?

That.
    That is your answer?

I mean ****, I can't go anywhere with that. The reality is, by playing with the xenos, you make yourself as filthy as them at best, and at worst... it's like arguing with an Obama voter.

However, that being your answer... lol. Carry on, guess it doesn't matter.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Um, yes it has, particularly since WW2, when rich Americans flashed their chocolate and silk stockings at British girls while Britsih boys were dying in trenches in Europe.

When I moved here in the 80s, it was Ronald Reagan making us look stupid. Just google Ronald Reagan Spitting image puppet for an example. Then we had George Warmonger Bush and that moron Sarah Palin to make US expat lives a real hell, but the current load of brain dead poisonous bile is spilling out of Fox News. The fact that anyone defends that PoS just add fuel to the fire.

My grandfather died working to liberate France, his father's home country, from the Nazis while flying out of the U.K.

I think that line of B.S. about American servicemen has been played long enough. Besides, it's not like the British have much room to talk on issues like this, particularly when it comes to colonization.

But that's an entirely different issue, and an entirely different way to fan the xenophobic flames.

ETA: These threads are always lightening rods for these types of xenophobic attitudes, and it's one of many reasons that I have continued to respond. The true colors of some have started to come out.
    I was unaware of the WWII reference. I assumed she was talking about before the US sent in troops. Though there were many Americans who chose to fight for the British before the US entered the war. I don't know, but maybe that should count for something?

And who cares what "rich Americans" were doing? What perecentage of the population does this even account for?

Both of my grandfathers fought in that war. Luckily, both came home. My father's father was on his way to Japan when they dropped the bombs. I probably would never have been born if that hadn't happened.

But, yes, let's use a 70-year-old horrible event to judge everyone.

Yep. People look for excuses to hate, and they will always find one.

You especially!

Nice way to twist the situation. I don't hate you. I don't even know you. The only thing I know about you is that you've started a thread to complain amount American portions and how wasteful we are as a country after visiting us for a short time. It's certainly within your rights to complain, as I'm within mine. I've given you every opportunity to debate the point, and intelligently defend your position, but all you have done is continue to claim innocence while posting hearts under those that agree with your original position. No worries. The world is full of people like you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Nice way to twist the situation. I don't hate you. I don't even know you. The only thing I know about you is that you've started a thread to complain amount American portions and how wasteful we are as a country after visiting us for a short time. It's certainly within your rights to complain, as I'm within mine. I've given you every opportunity to debate the point, and intelligently defend your position, but all you have done is continue to claim innocence while posting hearts under those that agree with your original position. No worries. The world is full of people like you.

You're just a xenophobe! We all know it.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Well for what it's worth the OP of the original thread never "bashed" anyone, merely pondered about her impression of enormous portion sizes when she travelled the US, and the subsequent food waste that this results in. A view which was echoed by plenty of others on the thread.

She was subsequently called a xenophobe and racist by people who were seemingly taking this observation terribly personal and seeing it as an onslaught of all things American.

Thank you size 10! For goodness sake what on earth are you all getting so worked up about. I love the USA, I love your beautiful countryside, I love your diversity, I love your wildlife, I love your people. Everyone I met whilst travelling was courteous, kind and nice, not like some of the people that have beaten me up about one remark that wasn't directed at anyone, only directed at a plate of food. Now for goodness sake, give it a rest!

Mmm yes.. somehow pointing out differences = bashing in some peoples eyes. I guess they dont get it.
  • dbmata
    Options

A white knight and a scholar. I am amazed.
  • lynnerack
    lynnerack Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Well for what it's worth the OP of the original thread never "bashed" anyone, merely pondered about her impression of enormous portion sizes when she travelled the US, and the subsequent food waste that this results in. A view which was echoed by plenty of others on the thread.

She was subsequently called a xenophobe and racist by people who were seemingly taking this observation terribly personal and seeing it as an onslaught of all things American.

Thank you size 10! For goodness sake what on earth are you all getting so worked up about. I love the USA, I love your beautiful countryside, I love your diversity, I love your wildlife, I love your people. Everyone I met whilst travelling was courteous, kind and nice, not like some of the people that have beaten me up about one remark that wasn't directed at anyone, only directed at a plate of food. Now for goodness sake, give it a rest!
  • rml_16
    Options

Being genuinely confused as to why you would accuse someone who clearly is not xenophobic of being so and then questioning that on an open, public message board is not "white-kinighting."

I honestly was (and am) confused by your attitude.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I clearly know I don't need to be white knighted when I'm asking a ******* question.

He stated why he keeps posting in the thread. You posted what you did as a question. Do you not see how that reads as a sarcastic accusation?

If I'm wrong and your intention was something else, feel free to explain. But so far you've only convinced me that was, in fact, what you meant.

I'm sorry, I think you're laboring under the belief that I'm asking you something, or that I'm hoping to get some sort of input or insight from you. I appreciate your attempts to add to my body of knowledge by attempting to address a question which is not yours, but at this time, I have no questions, queries, or inquiries that are appropriate to you.

Thanks for your understanding in this matter. Should you have any feedback, please let us know in a customer service survey we will be sending within the next 48 hours. Again, thank you for your patronage.

Dude. Seriously?

That.
    That is your answer?

I mean ****, I can't go anywhere with that. The reality is, by playing with the xenos, you make yourself as filthy as them at best, and at worst... it's like arguing with an Obama voter.

However, that being your answer... lol. Carry on, guess it doesn't matter.

Answer? To what? I'm not even sure how to respond to you here. What exactly do you mean by "it's like arguing with an Obama voter"? You certainly have let your political leanings become clear, as have some others who the other end of the spectrum. Why? What do your, or anyone else's, political beliefs have to do with this?
  • BeachIron
    Options

Mmm yes.. somehow pointing out differences = bashing in some peoples eyes. I guess they dont get it.

The difference is one of approach, but I like the use of the "they" as if this is "us" vs. "them." Nice touch.
  • dbmata
    Options

Being genuinely confused as to why you would accuse someone who clearly is not xenophobic of being so and then questioning that on an open, public message board is not "white-kinighting."

I can understand that you are confused.
  • rml_16
    Options

That tends to happen when other people don't know how to communicate using words and they post on message boards.
  • Asheriee
    Options
    I seriously don't see how this is being blown out of proportion. I, myself, am an American. And I love all cultures. All races. I will not disagree that our portions are bigger. IT'S THE TRUTH. It's just how people handle those portions. You don't have to eat all of.

But it's not a slam towards Americans. It's just how the culture is changed.

I am not personally offended by the comment. You can't be mad at the truth. And that's what it is. The truth. And I don't really understand why all this fighting is going on.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I seriously don't see how this is being blown out of proportion. I, myself, am an American. And I love all cultures. All races. I will not disagree that our portions are bigger. IT'S THE TRUTH. It's just how people handle those portions. You don't have to eat all of.

But it's not a slam towards Americans. It's just how the culture is changed.

I am not personally offended by the comment. You can't be mad at the truth. And that's what it is. The truth. And I don't really understand why all this fighting is going on.
    If this thread is stressing you out so much, you might want to stop reading it. There is a debate going on and people disagree with each other. It happens. It's life.

If it bothers you, it's easy to ignore it.

I know you're going to take this as rude and mean, but it is genuine advice. You have 16 posts, so you probably don't get how things work here. This is how things work here.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Answer? To what? I'm not even sure how to respond to you here. What exactly do you mean by "it's like arguing with an Obama voter"? You certainly have let your political leanings become clear, as have some others who the other end of the spectrum. Why? What do your, or anyone else's, political beliefs have to do with this?

I found it rather amusing that you made a statement about how this thread is "outing" people as xenos, yet all you're doing is simply empowering them to be so. It's rather inconsistent with your statement. Unless of course your goal is to amuse others by stirring the pot.

In case you are not really clear on my reference, it's quite easy. Arguing with a xeno is the same as arguing with an Obama voter. Both are low information, and when you tell them that they are wrong, it's because it's simply something wrong with you. In the case of an Obama voter, all disagreements are due to racism. In the case of a Romney voter, all disagreements are because you are liberal.

I would think these constants are already well known. You know though, I'm getting one hell of a laugh out of this and your buddy. Stick at it.
  • dbmata
    Options

That tends to happen when other people don't know how to communicate using words and they post on message boards.

Or when some forget how to read without a preconceived bias. ;)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I seriously don't see how this is being blown out of proportion.
    You do realize that this is exactly what the internet is for, and that none of this means anything?
  • Asheriee
    Options
    I'm not stressed out about it. I just don't understand the logic of bickering and name calling.
  • rml_16
    Options

Or when some forget how to read without a preconceived bias. ;)
    I asked for a clarification. In your own roundabout way, you gave it to me.

At least I understand sarcasm. :-)
  • dbmata
    Options
    I'm not stressed out about it. I just don't understand the logic of bickering and name calling.
    It can be challenging to accept logic, from time to time.
  • rml_16
    Options
    It's called a message board. It happens.

People disagree. Some can't disagree without insulting people. And when one insult flies, the person being insulted responds, usually defensively.

Constantly posting to tell us to stop isn't going to work out. Most of us are stuck at desks all day with down time and this is our entertainment.