Is 150lbs still too heavy for a 5'4" person?

Options
12346»

Replies

• SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    There are too many factors to say if 150 is too heavy for 5'4''. Frame size and muscle mass being the main ones. But, some people for other health reasons need a little extra weight as well. I just found out yesterday that some joint problems can be made worse by losing too much weight, don't remember the name of the disease, but basically extra fat helps cushion the joints, that was the explanation anyway. Also age, I have heard the older you get the higher your bf percent can be, I don't understand the logic on that one, just what I have been told.
  • I am 5'4 and 51 years old, my doc told me to day I was obese and the idea weight for me is between 128 and 135, so I got a long way to get there, but I have to remember it took 13 years to get here and it will take several month to achieve his goal. My goal is 20 pounds, if i reach that I will decide then if I need to loose 20 more. I figure if we eat a low fat, low salt, low cholesterol health eating plan we should be ok.
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my end goal is 150lbs. If I only make it down to 165lbs, I will be happy. But yes, your goal is more than realistic.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I am 5 ft. 4 1/2 and I have a large frame. I think 150 is my best weight (12 lbs from my goal to be back there!), but people have said I look too "skinny". Since I feel really great at that weight, I just let them have their opinion.

Everybody is different, so listen to your body. You will know when you are at the right weight for you.

My old trainer at the gym told me the numbers don't count. She was about 5 ft.10 and weighed 185 pounds and had not one ounce of fat on her.

So remember....The. Numbers. Don't. Count.:smile:
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    you will be the judge when you get there, if thats where you are happy, or if you want to go further. i changed my goals about 3 times. first goal was 199. at 5 foot 10, i figure 199 would be comfy for me. then i got there, and decided to go to 175... well, when i reached 175, i decided i still was not done, so then i set my goal to 155, and i reached that a few weeks ago... i have now made my final ultimate goal 145, which is about 7 pounds away... its all how you feel and what you want... set it for 150, and when you get there, maybe you will be happy, maybe you will decide your not done yet... good lucjk!
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I think 150 is a good goal for that height. I'm 5'5" and it's my goal so maybe I'm a bit partial. I looked pretty darn good at 150 but your mileage may vary. Shoot for 150 and if you like how you look at 160 or want to go for 145 that's good too. Healthy and happy is more important than a number really.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    150 is VERY reasonable. 132 is about dead center of the range of healthy weights and might be excessive for some people of this height to maintain, depending on a number of factors.

Also, remember that just 10% of your current weight already represents huge health improvements!!

When I checked my BMI, it said at my height, the range was something like 118-145lbs which sounds way too teeny for my tastes. :/
    Im same height 142 now goal 130, ive been 115 now thats teeny been everything from. 115 to 170 i think i liked my body at 130, but as long as i look like i workout im fine at any weight, gotta have those cuts to show hard work
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what is your body fat percentage?

the healthy range for women is 18-28%. If your body fat percentage is within that range, then you don't need to lose any more weight if you don't want to. This is regardless of what you actually weigh.
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    150 is VERY reasonable. 132 is about dead center of the range of healthy weights and might be excessive for some people of this height to maintain, depending on a number of factors.

Also, remember that just 10% of your current weight already represents huge health improvements!!

When I checked my BMI, it said at my height, the range was something like 118-145lbs which sounds way too teeny for my tastes. :/

I45lb would be good I think if you don't want to go to tiny 150 at 5"4 would still be in overweight range according to bmi
    I myself am 5"5 145ish and I still have 10-20lbs of obvious weight to lose ugh
    What's your frame size?
  • midnightisolde
    midnightisolde Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd say that you'd be best getting to 150lbs and then seeing how you feel and set a new goal if that's what you want. I am also 5'4 and 150lbs was my starting weight! :) I currently weigh 131lbs and my ultimate goal weight is between 112lbs - 120lbs so quite a bit smaller than your goal. But it depends where you started from. If you have a higher start weight then a relatively high weight as your goal weight is still an achievement.
    Your frame size and muscle mass will determine what would be your best goal/ideal weight to aim for. I have a small frame if we're using wrist measurements and I'm 18, so a comparatively low goal weight is ok for me but it might not be for others.