Wow. You look like *kitten*....

Options

Replies

• sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean.. Whenever I tell anyone I am losing weight by exercising and eating healthy people will just tell me dont lose weight.. you look better chubby.. or if I tell anyone I lost some weight.. they will be like.. dont lose much.. you will not look good.. and yeah.. I am 5ft tall too.. I am 55.5kgs now and still I am overweight..
  • rgagnon1
    rgagnon1 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Jealous people. Hold your head high and look for a new job. You are beautiful and fit.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Jesus wept.

It's terrifying to think you work in health care really.

143lb at 5ft for a 27 yr old female is a BMI of 28 which is smack in the middle of the 'overweight' section for your height. I know BMI is controversial and perhaps you have a lot of muscle, but your colleagues must have a very warped idea of what is a healthy weight.
  • kbcara
    kbcara Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Firstly from your pictures you look fabulous, from your height and weight you have nothing to worry about at all!

This is 100% a case of needing to escalate this to HR regardless.

However, you mention a nurse so this makes me wonder if there is another side (not one that negates anything I say above)...

Are some trying to get you to pay attention because they care? It doesn't sound that way at all, I just struggle to understand such cruelty otherwise. What I'm wondering is... have you lost weight quickly?... have you lost weight healthily (if not maybe you don't look healthy and they're worrying for you?). Just a thought.

Please take this as it's meant i.e. if people are trying to look out for/care for you, I don't want you to miss that point... but as I said you look great and their approach is so wrong, you must seek advise from HR.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    A bunch of Jealous idiots. This calls for a harassment lawsuit. Need an attorney?
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Stop avoiding eye contact! Be proud of your accomplishments. If they want to say something make them look you in the eye to say it. Claim power over your space. If they choose to make a comment make a point of looking them up and down and shake your head and walk away. Leave them feeling judged not the other way around.
  • pari_06
    pari_06 Posts: 109
    Options
    Let me tell you this.. You look BEAUTIFUL. N NOT A CORPSE.
    It doesnt matter what people around you say. They are just irritated that they cant call you fat anymore.. So to feed their bully nature they are saying that you look like a drug addict and all such nonsense. So now if you will listen to them and start gaining weight. They will start calling you fat again..even if u hav gained just 5-8 lbs..

So ignore them. N do what you want.
  • _firecracker_
    _firecracker_ Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If your after pic is the weight you're at now, you look fantastic. Unfortunately most people lack so much self control and determination these days that they can't relate to the fact you took the weight off by working hard, fair and square. So they make reasons. Haters gonna hate girl. Anytime I hang with my friends they try to shove cupcakes down my throat because its completely disturbing that I want abs or that I can live without consuming 800 calories worth of dessert every night. Build up your confidence and rise above.
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I am five feet tall. Weigh 143lbs currently. That picture was taken after I completed insanity. I have facebook for anyone who believes I am a "troll." Geez.

If this is correct, you need to ask them to stop the harassment, and complain to HR if they don't. I'm with the others on this one.
    My only other thought is, are your eating behaviors very peculiar? I don't know. I'm trying to imagine why so many are coming at you. It seems very odd.

It doesn't matter what she weighs and how tall she is, nor her eating habits. Its harassment and no justification would change that by any means. I would file a formal complaint of harassment-no doctors note needed. You need not prove anything to anyone. End of story!

Didn't say it was okay, only trying to figure out why they were doing it. :ohwell:
  • hsmaldo
    hsmaldo Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Couldn't agree more with everyone who has suggested going to HR. Under the HIPPA laws, you don't need to provide ANYTHING medical to your supervisor--only HR in certain events.

This is ridiculous to be brought into "meetings" regarding your weight. It's harassment, and the comments made to you are bullying. ALL are HR issues and part of the "hostile work environment"

We have a girl in our office who is skinny and looks FABULOUS. One of ladies asked if I thought she was anorexic because she was getting so thin....WTH? I told my coworker that unless she had some other signs pointing to that than just her apparent loss of weight, then no, absolutely not!

Document what has been said and by whom and when. The comments, the meetings and everything else in between. Then talk to HR. No need to deal with this hostility in the workplace.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    You've got to worry about our healthcare when someone is called a 'corpse' who isn't even in the healthy BMI range, never mind underweight!
  • grundylady
    grundylady Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Stop avoiding eye contact! Be proud of your accomplishments. If they want to say something make them look you in the eye to say it. Claim power over your space.

THIS
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am five feet tall. Weigh 143lbs currently. That picture was taken after I completed insanity. I have facebook for anyone who believes I am a "troll." Geez.

Interesting. We have about the same BMI and I have to say that the pic in your avatar you look a lot slimmer than I feel.

But that's not any of your workplace's business anyway. Are any of these people that are criticizing, well, fat? If they are, tell them you are just as concerned for their health because they're too heavy, and there's a lot more science pointing to health issues for them than for people with your BMI.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Wow! I grew angry reading your story. I can't believe the nerve of some people. You've gotten some great advice here. You definitely don't have to sit back and take this sort of treatment in the workplace.

My two cents... Remember that your goals were made by you, for you, and YOU are doing what it takes to make them happen. Don't let other people's comments affect how you feel about you.

You look great!
  • tlou5
    tlou5 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    First, get a letter from your doctor saying that your weight and fitness goals are healthy, then take that letter to whoever called you in to a meeting (I presume it was your supervisor/line manager) and say that you are not happy with the constant harassment based on how you look, that you find it hurtful and offensive, and that it must stop. If that doesn't make it stop, or your supervisor/line manager doesn't accept the note from your doctor, then go above his/her head and complain, saying that you consider it to be harassment based on how you look, and highly unprofessional.

There's a line between ignorant people being concerned (e.g. people worrying about eating disorders because they're not used to seeing you at a healthy weight and think you're too thin now) and bullying, and this seems to have crossed that line, based on what you typed, as it includes name calling and telling you you look like *kitten* and it seems to be happening on a regular basis from a few different people. Maybe they're jealous or maybe whatever, but you need to take a stand and let your line manager/supervisor know that you won't put up with this kind of unprofessional behaviour. Also, there are resources online for workplace bullying.

ETA: you look fantastic in your after pic in your profile, extremely healthy and you look amazing. Not even remotely corpse like!!!! I can't see where they got that from at all!!

This
  • lauraleighsm
    Options

I'm 5'0 as well, and I went to school in WV and lived there for a few years bc my husband is from fairmont. Most definitely, a cultural thing. Without a doubt.

You look ahhhhhhhmazing!
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    First, get a letter from your doctor saying that your weight and fitness goals are healthy, then take that letter to whoever called you in to a meeting (I presume it was your supervisor/line manager) and say that you are not happy with the constant harassment based on how you look, that you find it hurtful and offensive, and that it must stop. If that doesn't make it stop, or your supervisor/line manager doesn't accept the note from your doctor, then go above his/her head and complain, saying that you consider it to be harassment based on how you look, and highly unprofessional.

There's a line between ignorant people being concerned (e.g. people worrying about eating disorders because they're not used to seeing you at a healthy weight and think you're too thin now) and bullying, and this seems to have crossed that line, based on what you typed, as it includes name calling and telling you you look like *kitten* and it seems to be happening on a regular basis from a few different people. Maybe they're jealous or maybe whatever, but you need to take a stand and let your line manager/supervisor know that you won't put up with this kind of unprofessional behaviour. Also, there are resources online for workplace bullying.

ETA: you look fantastic in your after pic in your profile, extremely healthy and you look amazing. Not even remotely corpse like!!!! I can't see where they got that from at all!!

This. Plus start looking for a new job because apparently you work with idiots.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    1. take control of the situation or expect to find new employment
    2. personally I would light fire under their butts, I would get a note from my physician stating my healthy state..and the correct weight for me and my body structure etc....then I would have a lawyer contact the HR department...you cant half do stuff you either do it or you don't...take it all the way for harassment.
  • ChristineDiet
    ChristineDiet Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    These comments come from my director of nursing, her assistant, my immediate supervisor, and a few fellow co-workers. I even told my supervisor I felt like everyone was ganging up on me, and although I appreciated their "concern," that I was pretty sure telling someone they look awful wasn't the right way to go about anything. I realize no one has ever seen me at this weight. I didn't even weigh this when I first started 8 years ago. I just want to be happy. And I want people to support me. I feel like I have no one except the amazing people I have met on here.

I think you look amazing and I think you nailed it on the head perhaps why they think you look ill! they have seen you at the 'before' size and when you look at the comparison it is huge, I mean your less than half the size you were. If they remember you for the size you were then they will probably perceive you to be even smaller than you are. You do look amazing and you need to be confident in yourself. this may be something that will take time for people to get used to if they've seen the old you for 8 years! x
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am about the same height and more than 20 pounds lighter than you are. My coworker, family and friends never said anything like that to me. Tell them to mind their own business