My Blog On Taking Phentermine

Options
123457»

Replies

• idahogirl71
    idahogirl71 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    I have taken Phentermine off and on for a few yrs now just to get the boost I need when I'm on a plateau. I am monitored regularly by my doctor including weigh-ins and blood tests. I initially lost 28 pounds the first month on it with only taking it every other day. I can't take it everyday due to not being able to sleep if I do. I had a baby 3 1/2 mo ago and am now back on the Phentermine for 30 days to "jump start" my weight loss again (I've lost the majority of the baby weight and am now at a plateau once again). I love Phentermine other than not being able to sleep. My house is cleaner than it has ever been and I have the energy to exercise. The only other "side effect" I deal with is dry mouth. It definitely helps with cravings as I now have to force myself to eat. My doctor will NOT prescribe this med for anyone who is not at least 40% over their recommended body weight.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Am I the only one that thought about Requiem For A Dream by the description of this pill?

I'M GONNA BE ON TELEVISION! TELEVISION! JUICE BY BARRY! JUICE BY BARRY! GOOOOO BARRY!
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    OP?

OP hasn't been back in 18 months. My thought is that it didn't go as well as she hoped since her ticker still shows 0 pounds lost.

Shucks, just noticed.

lol. Why the magic thread revival?!
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    I took phentermine a few years back and I would rather be fat than be on that again. I felt like a meth head who drinks too much coffee. I ended up having to go to the ER because I ended up on the bathroom floor at work; pale, my heart racing and vomiting. Phentermine was designed for people who have hundreds of pounds to lose to help them before surgery, not someone who has 20-30 lbs to lose. I agree, definitely find a new doctor. I can't stand doctors that push pills. He/she should have given you a referal to a nutritionist/dietician. I'm not trying to be a downer but you can totally do this on your own. Cheers.
  • clarahackworth1999
    clarahackworth1999 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering how everyone is doing or how well they did on Phentermine? I started taking it on 8/21/13 & I've already lost 7 pounds.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP?

OP hasn't been back in 18 months. My thought is that it didn't go as well as she hoped since her ticker still shows 0 pounds lost.

Shucks, just noticed.

It gets bumped every time someone searched for Phentermine and doesn't read through the entire thread before posting.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My Dr just prescribed it to me since nothing else was no longer working. Today is only day two for me taking it. Yesterday though was crazy and I felt high as a kite all day with crazy energy and no appetite! Hows it make you feel so far or in the beginning? I dont know if I can handle that feeling daily! Hope it gets better!
  • amanda46476
    Options
    I started taking it 8/23 and I am down 7.4 lbs already! The biggest struggle is eating enough calories a day...I literally have to force myself to eat. Also, the pills are narcotic, similar to adderal as they both are a form of amphetamine. I have doubled up on pills certain days just for the extra boost but i have calmed down since i caught myself doing that. The pills can easily become addictive
  • bblalock28
    bblalock28 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just picked up a prescription of phentermine and hope it works for me. Could use any advise, support and encouragement anyone can give.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    OP?

Shucks, just noticed.

It gets bumped every time someone searched for Phentermine and doesn't read through the entire thread before posting.

it could also be that in her profile she says she is gong on a cruise in October, and so maybe she is busy doing other things for the vacation.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I started taking it 8/23 and I am down 7.4 lbs already! The biggest struggle is eating enough calories a day...I literally have to force myself to eat. Also, the pills are narcotic, similar to adderal as they both are a form of amphetamine. I have doubled up on pills certain days just for the extra boost but i have calmed down since i caught myself doing that. The pills can easily become addictive

Did your weight loss stall at all after a few days/weeks of taking it?

I started taking it on 9/3 and have lost about 10lbs since then. I do work out 5 days a week for at least 1.5 hours a day and my doctor prescribed this pill to me because my weight loss stopped for about a year after trying a lot of different natural methods to get over the plateau (such as switching up exercise, eating more, eating less, etc etc.)

When I first started taking the pill I was in complete shock at how the scale was going down literally every time I stepped on it and for the past week or so it has stopped moving.

This pill does not affect my sleeping and I am still able to get in breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I did not want to deprive myself of food or calories or nutrients because then when I stop taking the pill the weight will just come back so I'm trying to just have the same routine and eating that I had before the pill (just eating smaller portions for the most part).

I'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences (and not so interested in the MFP Police who only have negative comments to make).

Nichole
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Taking a drug to solve a symptom doesn't solve the problem. The problem is OVERCONSUMPTION. And until one learns how to address that with motivation and self discipline, the drug is a temporary fix.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Yes i agree it is a temporary fix, in that you should not take any meds forever. but if one is eating within thier macros, it can help for that time.. however, no one should abuse it nor try to rely on it without also changing their eating plans.

if this medicine is for a small amount of time, I would think that someone would take advantage of that small window of opportunity and not play around with overeating.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I only read the first post....all I could think of was Requiem for a Dream...

requiem-for-a-dream-o.gif
  • phenFatty
    phenFatty Posts: 9
    Options
    I am doing the same thing! I hope we can motivate each other! My blog is at phenfatty.blogspot.com
  • ongard2000
    ongard2000 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, I have been using the natural version of the Phentermine and it has a lot less size effects. I had taken the prescription and it was give me so much size effects. I got headaches and vomits each time I take it. So now I have been taking the natural version or non prescription and it has been working wonders. I got it at this site http://dietdiscountstore.com/phentermine375.html
  • Skinnyfoodie1
    Options
    These meds are dangerous! I started taking phendimetrazine and then bontril in 2008 - lost a good amount of weight and then got addicted to them. i stopped following the diet (probably because my body was over it) and couldnt lose anymore. i would keep going into the doctor for my appointments and try and motivate each time but just kept on a plateau. Finally I had to go off of them suddenly because it was costing about $100 a week with the B12 shots at the time. I didn't even notice it happening but I gained every pound back and blew up to like 170 pounds at my highest. I was 118 at my lowest on this diet.
    I know this sounds really bad but a few years later I tried a different program and the side effects were different but still bad. I started chain smoking like a maniac- probably a pack a day. And after a while was so on edge I would have to drink in the evening to take the edge off. I started off following the exercise plans but eventually became so self conscious and edgy, I couldn't bear going to the gym or risk running into anyone outdoors??
    I guess if you handle coffee well, you might be a better candidate than I. But these pls really did not suit me and unfortunately they raise your heart rate and make you focus so they're easy to get hooked on.
    If you are going to do it, make sure your doc is an actual reputable doctor and I don't recckmend those weight loss clinics. They don't care about your health and are just out to make money. Both times, the doctors let me be on the plans for more than 2 years!!!and I was not losing anything after 2 or 3 months in - just maintaining. Now I have lost more weight by working out and eating well and feel great!! But who knows what kind of damage I did to myself already!(
  • JulesBusyMom
    JulesBusyMom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Phentermine today. 37.5 mg once in the morning. It's been 4 1\2 hours and so far I don't really feel any different other than I'm very awake and drinking more water than usual.. I drink a ton of water already. I'm a big coffee drinker in the mornings and didn't know if I should or not. I really want my coffee lol. I'm wondering if it will take a few days for me to really feel the effects of it. I love your blog I want to know the good, bad & ugly! Any advice would be appreciated!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    This is a very old thread from 2013 Original Poster has never come back to tell us all how it went.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I didn't learn healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it. And now I am on medication for heart palpitations.

Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.