Potato Chip addiction - HELPPPPP

Options

Replies

• LoniS
    LoniS Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    try kale chips. the nacho ones are really good and they are raw. http://rhythmsuperfoods.com/
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I love potato chips too. And instead of cutting them out completely, I just buy the reduce fat/ sodium chips. More importantly though, I immediately open the bag and divide it out into individual portions in snack bags so that I don't over indulge. Eating smaller controled portions doesn't make me feel as guilty about enjoying some every now and then!
  • ashley11scott
    ashley11scott Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My husband was the same way dont bring the chips into your house and look for other salty crunchy snacks to replace it with.
    - wasabi peas (crunchy and hot so takes long time to eat very little)
    -kale chips with light seas salt (crunchy and salty!)
    -buy only halloween sized or a small sized bag when you must have some and the craving has lasted hours.
    -try water and wait 30mins at lest see if you can get past the craving

its hard but over time you will get use to the smaller portion and it will have less cravings!

you can do it!
  • odo136
    odo136 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fellow Potato Chip Addict:

I have tried roasted chickpeas and they don't scratch the itch

If there is a Trader Joe's near you they have Sea Salt and Pepper rice crisps that are sort of a cross between a cracker (but not crumbly) and a potato chip. They are pretty good are 38 pieces in a serving.

I also go to the individual snack sized microwave popcorn bags and use the Pop Secrets seasoning in the shaker.

If you seek the satisfying crunch- Costco and Trader Joe's have these sticky rice rolls that are about 45 calories each and are very crunchy.

I have tried PopChips and PopCorners and they are good but pretty close to Potato Chips but you feel a little better about your choice.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Stop buying taters, precious.

Or you could buy the single serving bags and only eat one a day if you have trouble controlling yourself with the big bag open.
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Hello - Chocolate addict here married to a chip addict. My husband has just started his weight loss journey. The food thing is overwhelming for him and I have been logging and weighing food for 4 years now, so I am meal planning. I give him a certain amount of "snack" calories per day that he is in charge of....he uses a big chunk of them on the mini rice cakes - they are flavoured like chips (bbq, ketchup, sour cream and onion, sea salt and vinegar) and a single serving is 90 cals (I think for 20g - which is a nice sized little bowl). Here's the thing - he has a double serving - so 180 cals and it totally and completely satisfies any chip craving he has. He also says he can't eat more than that becasue by the end of the bowl he starts to get that rice cake "dry mouth". And, if he ever did totally go on a binge - the whole bag is around 500 cals - which is much better than a whole bag of chips. Good luck.
  • Annie984
    Options
    Its the sodium that keeps me from eating them as much as I would like... but I still eat them lays originals are my favorites
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    well i enjoy the special k cracker chips sea salt flavor ones. they are 30 chips for 110 calories. and like i said, i like how they taste.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Chips are not a drug so you arent "ADDICTED"

If you can't control yourself with chips around, STOP BUYING THEM. When you have yourself under control, you can start maybe buying small packages of them. But honestly what I do if I know I will binge on something is NOT BUY IT so its not around to eat.
  • Paula5130
    Paula5130 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    On Pinterest there are simple recipes for chick peas ...sweet and savoury nibbles, or make yourself kale crisps (kale, olive oil, seasonings, cook about 10-15 minutes at 180, not bad, or go for carrot sticks, celery, beet root chips etc x hope this helps
  • txkimmers
    txkimmers Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Take your chips and pre portion them out into little baggies. Then eat your chips.. chips are yummy.

I believe no food should be off limits unless your allergic to it. LOL.

Balance it out with good foods I think you will be fine.

I used to crave cookies all the time. But instead I just limit it. Some days I have one or two some days none. When we tell ourselves we cant have it we want it more.

Either that or dont buy any more chips. But really in life can you really say you will never eat chips again, I know I couldnt. Moderation!

Yup, yup! I took the five worst foods for me that I loved and did comparisons. If I could only choose potato chips or ice cream, which could I give up to keep the other? If chips won, I compared them to another favorite, so chips or french fries...and so on. If chips won out to the bitter end, it deserved a place in my diet. But I portion it and account for it every time I eat them. EVERY time, knowing how easily I could chow down an entire bag.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Kale chips. Seaweed snax. Bought some zuchini chips at whole foods that were pretty good.

I love potato chips too so i totally get it. I buy kettle chips when i buy them.
  • Annie984
    Options
    Hey if you like them, just eat them, look at the back of the bag if you buy the big family one because of the kids then eat one of two servings and count the calories... eat them slowly, and enjoy them knowing that you will NOT have anymore only the servings you are counting, put the chips away drink water after eating them and walk away.. if you cant do that then yeahh getting rid of them completely is another solution.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I eat low calorie ones, they have about 70 to 80 calories in a bag.

And sometimes I soak chickpeas in vinegar, then drain them and lightly salt them, spray with cooking spray and bake, they're lovely for the cinema.

Tear kale off their stocks and rub a little oil on and season - I like smoked paprika, black pepper and sea salt, this is amazing

Or bake thinly slices beets and sweet potatoes.

If you sprinkle with nutritional yeast and onion granules for the last couple of minutes, it's tasty too
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As was suggested earlier.. Stop buying chips. You can't eat what you don't have... that gets you a win even in a moment of weakness.

In place of chips, I eat dry Total flakes.. they're almost as crunchy as chips and are about 120 cal for a cup
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I eat low calorie ones, they have about 70 to 80 calories in a bag.

And sometimes I soak chickpeas in vinegar, then drain them and lightly salt them, spray with cooking spray and bake, they're lovely for the cinema.

Tear kale off their stocks and rub a little oil on and season - I like smoked paprika, black pepper and sea salt, this is amazing

Or bake thinly slices beets and sweet potatoes.

If you sprinkle with nutritional yeast and onion granules for the last couple of minutes, it's tasty too

Thank u for the idea on the chickpeas. What kind of vinegar and how long in the oven? Thanks!
  • pspenc90
    pspenc90 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lay's Light chips have very few calories or even Lay's Baked chips
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    well i enjoy the special k cracker chips sea salt flavor ones. they are 30 chips for 110 calories. and like i said, i like how they taste.

I like the sour cream and onion ones...and the new chili lime! Satisfies my chip craving and not so greasy (for me) as chips.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Mmm....chips. Chips are my food, love them. What works for me is mind control and willpower.

I tell myself I will eat chips, but I have to eat something healthy first. I find that by eating an apple first, much of my want of crunchy food is gone, plus I'm not as hungry so I eat less chips. I also only eat chips at the end of the day when I'm usually full from the day. I eat less then.

Also, don't eat from the bag. I eat a lot more when I eat out of the bag, then if I put them on a plate.

Enlist your husband. Mine will politely take the bag, eat a few, then put it away if it looks like I'll finish off the bag.
  • musicboxes
    musicboxes Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My husband giggles at me when I eat chips as he knows my love for chips, they have always been my fav. Since I don't give up any foods that I like, I still eat them when I want them..but I portion them out & count out a serving...instead of eating the whole bag like I use to. I have found that this satisfies me & I don't crave them as much as I use too either.