Wow. You look like *kitten*....

Options

Replies

• esselltee1156
    esselltee1156 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    stop reacting like a fat girl! youre a skinny girl-what would a naturally skinny girl say? "WHATEVER!! *snap*
  • grentea
    grentea Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think you look great and not at all sickly. I would suggest learning to tune out the negative comments. They sound like jealous haters. Focus on building a good support system and spending time with positive people. Don't let these people get you down. You are making positive changes, so keep it up. They are not your friends and you don't have to live your life to make them happy. They sound like they would find something to complain about even if it wasn't your weight.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    If your current profile picture is what you look like now, those people are crazy (you look great!!).

Additionally, you do NOT owe them any explanation, letter from your doctor or anthing at all...its none of their business and you don't have to justify your health and fitness goals to people you work with.

I hope things get better!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are being bullied. You co-workers are clearly in the wrong. It's not fair. Yes, it would be great if your HR and/or lawyer could make it stop. But I have *never* heard of either approach actually working to change the work environment into a welcoming and safe-feeling one. I would be interested in hearing about examples in which it did. Because usually, people wind up either quitting, or getting involved in a legislative process that is *just as consuming and painful as the bullying*, and then leaving (one way or another).

IMO, the best ways -- best as in, costs the average person the least amount of stress, and at least have a hope of leading to a quick(ish) resolution of the stress -- to handle bullying are:

- Find an ally at work. A confidante, to help blow off steam, or someone who has a bit of power and is not also attacked who can back you up.

- If you have the skills for this (which, sadly, I am thinking, may be unlikely if things have gotten this far, and your confidence has already taken a beating), defuse bullying with humour whenever possible. It can be a very effective way of standing up for yourself. If phrases like 'corpse' are being used, I am guessing the environment may be casual enough for you to potentially get away with some zingers.

To be able to do this, though, requires being able to mentally step outside of the victim position in which they have framed you. Feeling attacked freezes your thinking & constrains your reactions. Like, you have to believe that what they're saying is ridiculous, that they themselves are not a threat. Takes reframing, for sure. As far as that goes, I would work hard at taking in what everyone here is saying: you obviously are NOT sick-looking; these women probably ARE jealous (man it annoys me how often that happens), etc. Find supportive people in your life outside of work to reinforce these (true!) beliefs. Maybe some therapy would help with some of this.

Trouble with this one is, I guess you also have to be kind of funny, or at least have some stock comebacks ready to hand. And it's true that getting the right tone can be a tricky thing.. defensive humour like "well at least I"m not a xyz" probably won't work that well, but absurd or self-deprecating humour might ("yeah, i'm out of embalming fluid, who's in pathology today?"). Nurses often have a pretty dark take on things, idk.

- Find a new job asap. Just change the environment. Worst case scenario and not always possible, I know.

In an ideal world, HR would be useful, and suing people would lead to healthy relationships, but I have not seen evidence that this happens.
  • NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I think you look great! I'm 5'3", and my goal is 130. Medically, the high end of my healthy weight is 135. That is the very highest I should be for my height, so for someone who's 5 feet, 143, or whatever your goal was, is not under weight. I still have quite a bit of abdominal fat that needs to go, and hopefully it will when I reach goal. I have also had people tell me similar things, like I don't need to lose anymore, because I'll look sick. I don't care what those people say. I started believing them for a minute, and gained back 10lb's, and I'm NOT happy about it. I've come to realize that those people are either jealous, or just used to seeing me fat, or used to everyone else being fat, and not used to seeing healthy, skinny people. I want to feel good about myself, and I want to get rid of my belly fat roll! Sooooo...I agree with the other posters, if they keep harrassing you, I would definately report them. As far as their opinions, I would just disregard them, they don't mean crap. Do what makes you feel good! I think you look amazing, and you've worked hard for your body. You desserve it! So next time you go to work, wear something sexy and form fitting, and let them eat their hearts out! :happy: :heart: You can add me if you like! Need some more friends! :happy:
  • patrickfish7
    patrickfish7 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    The hell? So let me get this straight. Your 'superior' who is threatened by your ability to keep to a strict regime to be better than them, is saying you look sh**?

Humans are fickle and never happy. They feel threatened by you and because they cant do what you've done, they will do everything they can to pull you down!!! Rise above the crap, threaten them with legal advice for harassment and don't listen to the nay-sayers.

You look great and don't let anybody tell you otherwise!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    stop reacting like a fat girl! youre a skinny girl-what would a naturally skinny girl say? "WHATEVER!! *snap*

Do this.

Except don't say "whatever" or do that *snap* thing :laugh:
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    These comments come from my director of nursing, her assistant, my immediate supervisor, and a few fellow co-workers. I even told my supervisor I felt like everyone was ganging up on me, and although I appreciated their "concern," that I was pretty sure telling someone they look awful wasn't the right way to go about anything. I realize no one has ever seen me at this weight. I didn't even weigh this when I first started 8 years ago. I just want to be happy. And I want people to support me. I feel like I have no one except the amazing people I have met on here.
    After reading this, I don't need to read any further. Follow the advice of @neandermagnon: get a doctor's note and meet with HR AND your boss at the same time and TELL them that the harrassment WILL stop!
    Nursing has a reputation for having a high rate of obesity (irony much), so this sounds like the jealous cackling of a bunch of evil hens! You might want to start keeping a personal diary to document any further harrassment or retaliatory actions, as well as keep copies of your last couple of performance evaluations handy (I assume that you're a good-to-great worker)! Haters might try to turn you into the bad guy so keep your guard up and document ANYTHING that you think might be spun around to be used against you (e.g. you giving health advice upon request ---> you're pushing your healthy dogma onto others).

Good luck and congrats!
  • SarahLouiseFlint
    Options
    First, get a letter from your doctor saying that your weight and fitness goals are healthy, then take that letter to whoever called you in to a meeting (I presume it was your supervisor/line manager) and say that you are not happy with the constant harassment based on how you look, that you find it hurtful and offensive, and that it must stop. If that doesn't make it stop, or your supervisor/line manager doesn't accept the note from your doctor, then go above his/her head and complain, saying that you consider it to be harassment based on how you look, and highly unprofessional.

There's a line between ignorant people being concerned (e.g. people worrying about eating disorders because they're not used to seeing you at a healthy weight and think you're too thin now) and bullying, and this seems to have crossed that line, based on what you typed, as it includes name calling and telling you you look like *kitten* and it seems to be happening on a regular basis from a few different people. Maybe they're jealous or maybe whatever, but you need to take a stand and let your line manager/supervisor know that you won't put up with this kind of unprofessional behaviour. Also, there are resources online for workplace bullying.

ETA: you look fantastic in your after pic in your profile, extremely healthy and you look amazing. Not even remotely corpse like!!!! I can't see where they got that from at all!!

Definitely I agree with this comment, this is bullying in the work place.
    If they were saying things like ‘you look like *kitten*’ to an overweight or obese worker, they would be straight down the disciplinary route!
    People at work always feel the need to comment negatively on my diet/healthy eating plan. But I would never dream of bringing up the 3rd chocolate biscuit they have just shoved down their throat!
    It all comes down to jealousy, you are living a healthy lifestyle and it highlights their unhealthy way of living. Feel good about your achievements and enjoy your well-earned new figure.x
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    (Just to add though, if they are truly and consistently brutal [sounds like yes :( ] and you are feeling so bad you've developed mental health issues, to the point where you can't put energy into other solutions or looking for other work, then sue away; document just in case.)
  • Ilovevwgolf
    Ilovevwgolf Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    For some people who are so use to seeing you at a certain weight and looking and dressing a certain way...and now they see a different you...it may be hard for them to accept.

Some are envious that you look better than before..some cannot accept that you are what you are now...some feel they have 'lost' the old you...some may think 'has he got a new man?'...and some are worried if there is an underline problem behind your drastic weight loss (and they are genuinely worried not jealous in any way).

You may or may not want to tell them why you lost the weight...they don't have to know. But if it helps for them to understand the reason behind it then maybe they will leave you alone and not pass any negative comments or judgement. And not worried about you.

You do look fantastic and a big well done for your effort. You did it for yourself and nobody else. For some who seems to have a problem with it...the problem is theirs and let them deal with it. Don't make it your problem too!

Good Luck for the rest of your journey. :flowerforyou:
  • jaxbeck
    jaxbeck Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is unbelievable. I would contact HR & a lawyer. This is harassment, plain & simple.

That being said, they are insecure & jealous. You’ve changed your shape as they have either stayed the same or got worse. I’m pretty sure all of us encounter these type of people every day. Thankfully, not to this degree.
  • fitandgeeky
    fitandgeeky Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry you're having to deal with this. Honestly, reading your post p!ssed me off. You look amazing and your hard work shows. I would file a complaint. It's your place of employment and unless you were hired with conditions on your weight, it's none of their fecking business. Keep your chin up and be proud of all you've accomplished. You have every right to feel good about yourself. DO NOT let these people take that away from you.

This is an example of something I have a hard time with. Why do people think it's okay to comment about someone being too thin, but not okay to comment on someone's obesity? I get this crap from my friends all the time. "You're too skinny." "You lose any more weight, you're going to blow away." "You've lost all your boobs and curves and you're starting to look like a boy." "You and your daughter share clothes now?" (She's 5 btw :huh: ) Granted the women who constantly make comments are all overweight or obese. Now, if I were to make comments about how fat they are, I'd catch some serious hell. I hate this double standard.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Nursing has a reputation for having a high rate of obesity (irony much),

Yes, it's something that's quite well researched in both the UK and US. The stats are very similar at around 55% I believe.

I work in public health and I believe some of the reasons cited in much of the research centered around coping with stress, issues around shift working (meal planning, sleeping patterns etc), lack of available healthy foods in staff canteens etc etc.

If I recall correctly there was some research not that long ago (last couple of years) that suggested that obese nurses are just as likely to recognise obesity in patients but are 75% less likely to address it by raising the subject with the patient.

There is a huge debate in health care whether medical staff should be seen to be setting a good example or "practice what they preach" so they don't lose credibility with patients.

Interesting subject.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You know what? You're awesome! I would guess that you're so awesome you're threatening to your co-workers and bosses.

Since you've lost a significant amount of weight, it looks like a bigger difference to your coworkers. They're used to seeing you more full-figured, so you may look a little "ghosty" to them. They'll adjust (I'm sure you're still adjusting to your body's change). If it continues, see HR. Or you could joke about it if you feel comfortable with that. :)
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    fitandgeeky, I have to agree with you.

Weight is a personal issue...period. Yes, obesity costs the insurance world money. However, until an individual makes up their mind to take control of their health, there is nothing anyone else can say to control it for them. Yes, they can tell them they're too fat or, too skinny and make them feel bad about themselves and tell themselves that they must do something. But, until that little mechanism in their brain goes "click", very little will happen.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    I have been called into several "meetings" at work regarding my weight.

this is nuts. maybe lawyering up is a good idea.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Nursing has a reputation for having a high rate of obesity (irony much),

Yes, it's something that's quite well researched in both the UK and US. The stats are very similar at around 55% I believe.

I work in public health and I believe some of the reasons cited in much of the research centered around coping with stress, issues around shift working (meal planning, sleeping patterns etc), lack of available healthy foods in staff canteens etc etc.

If I recall correctly there was some research not that long ago (last couple of years) that suggested that obese nurses are just as likely to recognise obesity in patients but are 75% less likely to address it by raising the subject with the patient.

There is a huge debate in health care whether medical staff should be seen to be setting a good example or "practice what they preach" so they don't lose credibility with patients.

Interesting subject.

Funny.

I work for a very large health care center and there is a HUGE push for all employees to improve their health and well-being. Everything from making rules to encourage us to actually take our earned vacation time, to fitness events, to nutritional education and meal planning seminars, to having quarterly weigh-ins (private and voluntary) with rewards for maintaining or decreasing weight. It's pretty clear that this is mostly coming from a place of reducing health insurance costs for the system, but it should have some nice side effects IF it works the way the administration hopes. We'll see.

To the OP - you need to be documenting every event that has happened starting today. Be sure to record the events that happened in the past to the best your memory will allow, in as much detail as you can. Then you need to have a meeting with your supervisor's supervisor (this is the route we would follow in our system before going to HR - your system may be different, check your employee manual). Lay out the incidences and be clear that you feel this is harassment and that you need it to stop. Document the meeting and see what happens. Often, this step is enough, but if the harassment continues, THEN you go to HR and complain. At this point it is obvious that you have made an attempt to work within the system and the escalation is necessary. Here, if we skipped the intermediate step, HR would just help set up that meeting and tell you to try that first.

The previous poster is right in that it will not make the environment friendly for you, but frankly, it isn't friendly now, is it? If the supervisor's supervisor or HR does their job, it should at least stop the overt harassment.
  • Ladydrake12
    Ladydrake12 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    1.) You look freaking fabulous based on your profile picture. That is not just skin and bones at all. That is muscle and awesome.
    2.) That is harassment and you should definitely bring it up to your HR people/supervisor. That is completely inappropriate behavior made even more so by the fact that is bothers you.
    3.) Just keep on doing your thing girl! They are jealous haters and probably cry at the mirror when they go home everyday because they wish they could have the strength to do what you are doing.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

The previous poster is right in that it will not make the environment friendly for you, but frankly, it isn't friendly now, is it? If the supervisor's supervisor or HR does their job, it should at least stop the overt harassment.

yeah, but there's no getting rid of vibe & any number of covert ways of punishing OP for action.

i now think, get what you can from them & plan an exit strategy asap.