What does everyone eat at Olive Garden?

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We went a week ago and I ordered a tour of Italy (first time but I was indecisive about what I wanted). I planned ahead to eat more salad, by the time my food arrived I could hardly eat a third of it. The rest went home for another meal.

Seriously, two helpings of salad and then box up at least half of your meal. I have a big appetite and it wasn't hard for me.
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Can I ask an honest question without offending anyone hopefully? I think their food is seriously mediocre. I mean one step above fast food mediocre. Why do people like these chain restaurants so much? I get them all mixed up because they are all the same to me. I feel like I can get the same quality in the frozen food section of the grocery store. It tastes like cafeteria food.
    I totally agree!
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Water and scorn.
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I don't go or I gorge on breadsticks haha

BUT IF I MUST....

pasta alla marinara. i think around 600 cal for an entire plate!
  • FitCurlysue
    FitCurlysue Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    All of the food. I just order whatever I want, get a box and box up half for later. Then I know I am not eating 1000 calories in one sitting.

I was going to say the exact same thing! I read an article once where they said you really can't eat there for under 1,000 calories and the sodium is awful---but planning is key. So yeah, half the option, get what you want (maybe make sure you have protein in there and not just carby noodles) and enjoy your meal out with friends/family. :)
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I've only eaten there once in the past, oh, 12 years, and that was about 2 weeks ago. I found it not all too good. But I ate whatever I wanted and controlled my portions. I had a steak and fried calamari.

Not so good? Well this is the problem, you don't go Italian and order steak :)
    That's like going to a great steakhouse and expecting a great Italian meal ... no no no lol
  • suzend
    suzend Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Can I ask an honest question without offending anyone hopefully? I think their food is seriously mediocre. I mean one step above fast food mediocre. Why do people like these chain restaurants so much? I get them all mixed up because they are all the same to me. I feel like I can get the same quality in the frozen food section of the grocery store. It tastes like cafeteria food.
    I totally agree!

I much rather go to a local Italian restaurant. Of all the chains, this is one of my least favorites. But it's only my opinion!
  • TardisMom
    TardisMom Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually get the ravioli de portabello. The lunch portion is reasonable as far as calories and if I box 1/2 to eat later I can have a breadstick or some salad.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

I agree it is really average food, but I love their salad dressing. I think they put crack in it.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I love the apricot chicken meal. I don't eat pasta anymore so pretty much everything else is off limits for me.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    As a treat we go here but not often enough :D

To answer your question I ALWAYS get soup, salad and bread sticks. I usually have 2 servings of salad, 2 bread sticks and one chicken gnocchi soup and then feel like I could explode. Holy sodium but the taste can't be beat.

Enjoy! The apricot chicken sounds good.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    In some areas, there may not be many other restaurant options.
    It's a chain, so you know what you're getting.
    It's a chain, so nutrition info is posted online (and menus, I think).
    Breadsticks.

I live in an area where there are many great italian places so I prefer to eat there when the need arises, but sometimes we go for work because the mom&pop places can't seat 10-15 people together on a moments notice.

There is one by our local mall, and it is always busy (same with Dead Lobster- their biscuits are better than breadsticks).
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Their stuffed chicken marsala is decent for 800 calories. ~80g protein.

Also tasty. Can't forget the tasty part.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

Lasagna Primavera (has squash and zucchini in it, and I've never had those)

Never had squash or zucchini???
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I'm a chicken parm with fettuccine alfredo fan with salad and breadsticks.
    THANKFULLY I don't live in the US and I only go to the Olive Garden twice a year.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

This usually means you are a good cook or have a good cook in the family. For me, it also meant I was still cooking regularly with heavy cream and butter. Yeah, that part had to stop, and when it did Olive Garden's Steak and Gorgonzola Alfredo started to taste a lot better.

Also, it may not be the best Italian food out there, but we lost our one good non-chain Italian restaurant so it's the only game in town. :cry:
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Easy...lobster cannelloni and shrimp. High in protein, low in calories, and oh so tasty!
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!

Hi5 this
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Favorite meal would be Ravioli di Portabella, but I usually only go when it's the neverending pasta bowl and aim for three bowls. Plus salad and breadsticks. Always breadsticks.

I used to love their Chicken Pesto Ravioli, but it's no longer on the menu, so I make my own at home and don't go out to eat near as much as we used to.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    The apricot chicken and the capellini pomodoro with chicken are both good. I did find that the pomodoro seemed like a lot of pasta to me- I am not a huge pasta eater, so I didn't finish most of it. I would definitely try the lasagna primavera. I love squash of all kinds. It's probably delicious!