go for a walk.
  • Aleyria
    Aleyria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sweat is your fat crying...

OMG I love this!
  • nichi123
    Options
    Sorry to be harsh, but if you want to lose weight enough, you will make sure you exercise and eat well. Good luck as no one finds it easy.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    Honestly, until you take 100% accountability for what you do and what you eat, you are going to flounder around and get nowhere.

Take responsibility that whatever you shovel down your pie hole, is 100% your choice. Until you do this be prepared to struggle.

With that being said, take heart that you don't have to live a life of restriction to reach your goals. You like Ben & Jerry's ice cream? Awesome. Me too. Don't eat the whole pint. Measure out a serving and have it for deserrt as one part of your calorie deficit plan.
  • Lyn1424
    Lyn1424 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You have to want it bad enough otherwise you will never be successful!
  • nichi123
    Options
    What I also forgot to mention was that I am Bipolar. I suffer from hypomania (extreme highs) and depression. I have also found that exercise helps keep depression at bay. It's hard to actually start but once you do you will feel loads better :)
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    When you feel ready and even feeling desperate then you will find the motivation, until then, all I can suggest is reading the success stories on here.

Change is hard and you have to want it.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think you just have to exercise. I was like you for years, I used to like exercise but after a few injuries I kinda...stopped! Then I was at a weight I was happy with and that was enough, but as you get older you change shape. In a bad way.

You just have to find something you like and stick with it, no matter what, if you skip one workout, you might skip the next. The trick is not to quit and eventually you need it. It becomes an addiction, and it's wonderful.

It's a win win situation, you just have to commit yourself. I haven't lost weight as far as I know, haven't been weighing, but all my cloths fit much better.

Do it, you owe it to yourself :flowerforyou: It's not easy, but stick with it, you won't be sorry. Turns out, my exercise is jogging. And I've always loathed jogging any distance. So don't rule anything out. People say sweat is the fat crying, I like that, it makes me laugh
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Just stay fat :angry:
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you are depressed, exercising can help you feel better.

I've been on anti depressants and have done counseling. But either do something about the depression or use it as an excuse. If you KNOW you have a problem, then why don't you do something about it? Why continue to use that as your barrier from losing weight?
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try running again tonight.

Are you following a running program, or just getting out there and trying to run? When I first started, one year and 60 pounds ago, I couldn't run very far at all. If I'd tried to go out and 'go for a run' it would have been a recipe for feeling like a failure every time, and ultimately quitting. I know - that's what's always happened in the past when I tried to get into running.

Instead, I strongly recommend a couch to 5k program. By using the C25k, which gradually builds you up to running by alternating periods of jogging and walking, my confidence stayed high. Every session I felt that I achieved completing that session, rather than once again failing to finish my run. But start slow on the jogs. Like <5mph slow. Most people have to drop their speed half way through.

It did me the world of good, and one year on I'm 60 pounds lighter (through diet) and running 10ks.

Yeah - what this guy said! That's what got me started! Tough, but very managable
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna try running again tonight.

Are you following a running program, or just getting out there and trying to run? When I first started, one year and 60 pounds ago, I couldn't run very far at all. If I'd tried to go out and 'go for a run' it would have been a recipe for feeling like a failure every time, and ultimately quitting. I know - that's what's always happened in the past when I tried to get into running.

Instead, I strongly recommend a couch to 5k program. By using the C25k, which gradually builds you up to running by alternating periods of jogging and walking, my confidence stayed high. Every session I felt that I achieved completing that session, rather than once again failing to finish my run. But start slow on the jogs. Like <5mph slow. Most people have to drop their speed half way through.

It did me the world of good, and one year on I'm 60 pounds lighter (through diet) and running 10ks.

^^^This, you must crawl before you can walk and walk before you run.

If you over exert yourself immediately, you're going to quit right away. Start small and build up to running. Running more than a mile is a challenge for a lot of people and definitely a mental game. I have now run 4 marathons and still the thought of lacing up my running shoes and stepping outside can be daunting. You also claim to hate sweating and working out. Why not first get yourself accustomed to all of that first. Start with some walks during the week, when that is sustainable, add in some more walks until you are walking almost everyday. Then start adding in 2 minutes of walking alternated with 2 minutes of easy pace jogging before you go into full runs. YOu will build your body up to where it needs to be to help with the running and you won't be doing too much too fast to where you hate it. Start small, follow a program and learn what works for you first.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I really, really, really wanna lose weight. I want to SO bad. But NOTHING is working. I mean, nothing I do to motivate myself, I mean.

The thing is, I HATE sweating unless I'm having fun. And y'know, sports are fun, but I have like one friend who'll play soccer or catch or anything with me, but I can barely do that more than three times a week, let alone every day.

My therapist decided to help make a plan for me to lose weight. She has me starting slow, counting my calories only three days out of the week and one workout a week. That plan was made last wednesday. The counting calories I can do just fine, despite being a picky eater, but I still haven't done the ONE workout. I was suppose to do it last friday, but I haven't. I just don't WANT to. Like I do, but I don't.

The funniest part is, I was doing so well near the beginning of the year. I was fifteen pounds under my then weight. Now I'm like 30 pounds over my weight from then. I've gained like 45 pounds and only one pair of my jeans actually fits anymore. My clothes feel so much tighter and I refuse to conform and buy new clothes because I feel like that's giving in. But the tight clothes aren't motivating enough for me to lose weight, neither is the fact that I feel like a fatass and everyone keeps telling me to stop complaining if I won't do anything about it.

I feel like crying. Some advice please?

I was you 2 years ago. Most of the people who have responded so far, although not all of them were very kind about it, are right. You have to take ownership of your body, your goals, and your action plan. My suggestion would be to start with your diet. I don't know why your therapist told you to log just 3 days, but I would suggest logging every day. Go to this website - www.fitnessfrog.com - and calculate your TDEE for your current activity level. Eat 500 calories a day less than the number it calculates. This should set you up for a 1 pound a week loss. Once you start losing you may feel more motivated to move.

I would also ask yourself why you don't like to sweat. Do you feel unattractive, gross, or what? I hated to sweat. When I dug down deep, I discovered it was because I felt unattractive when I sweat. Well, I was already unattractive being obese so what was a little sweat going to hurt? I started exercising and now I actually enjoy the feeling of sweat pouring off my face because I know what it's doing for me.

No one can motivate you but you. We can give you advice. We can give you atta girls. We can listen and support you when you hit a roadblock. But you and only you can get up and do something about your weight.

I saw a quote that kicked my butt into gear - "If it's important you'll find a way. If it's not you'll find an excuse." This is truer than most anything I've ever read. Think about it.
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Maybe this has already been said but for my 2 cents I suggest rather than looking at your end goal start with much smaller goals like minor diet change with minor exercise increase. For examply your goal for this month would be go for a brisk walk 20 mins 3 days per week and cut out or cut back on soda. then increase once it has become a habit. ~baby steps may not net fast results but it's much easer to do it this way than to cold turkey style it
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I asked for motivation and advice. Not people belittling me for being depressed (not sad, there's a difference) and lazy. I don't feel any more compelled to work out after hearing that I need to stop whining.

I don't blame you. I'm guessing you're already saying these things to yourself; I know, I've been there. I think some have already said it, if so, I'll repeat: why don't you just put exercise on the back burner for now? You can lose weight without exercising at all. I found that once I'd lost a good bit of weight from diet alone, it gave me some motivation to want to start exercising.

I was exactly like you -- I used to absolutely DESPISE any type of physical exertion. It has been nothing less than a miracle that at the ripe old age of 44 I actually began, VERY SLOWLY, to enjoy it. But again, for now, forget exercise and just focus one day at a time on getting a calorie deficit.

One more thing... try to look in the mirror every day and find one thing about yourself that you like (or at least don't hate) - your eyes? your hair? or maybe just that you're a great friend or daughter? Try to love yourself where you're at. It's too easy for us to beat ourselves up and say horrible hateful things to ourselves that we would never say to a friend or coworker. Imagine that when you're looking in the mirror that you're talking to a friend --- how would you encourage a friend who's in your shoes?

Take it one day at a time and celebrate your small successes!
  • Aleyria
    Aleyria Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Maybe this has already been said but for my 2 cents I suggest rather than looking at your end goal start with much smaller goals like minor diet change with minor exercise increase. For examply your goal for this month would be go for a brisk walk 20 mins 3 days per week and cut out or cut back on soda. then increase once it has become a habit. ~baby steps may not net fast results but it's much easer to do it this way than to cold turkey style it

I completely agree. I know when I first started out on this journey I promised myself to make baby steps. I know myself and I knew that if I tried to make too many changes at once I would get overwhelmed and anxious and I would give up. So I started very slowly.

First I started C25K then after about a week I gave up soda, then I added a strength routine, and i started clean eating, then I stopped late night eating, then I joined a gym. My new goal is to start logging my food daily. I'm 2 months into my lifestyle and I've lost a total of 11lbs. No it's not an impressive amount of weight but every pound and ever workout is a victory.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I asked for motivation and advice. Not people belittling me for being depressed (not sad, there's a difference) and lazy. I don't feel any more compelled to work out after hearing that I need to stop whining.
    You asked for advice and people gave you advice. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't any good. There is no magic bullet.
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Quit being lazy?
    That's all there is to it...

way to put down someone who is currently seeing professional help for depression. Real human of you
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Is there anything you might be able to talk yourself into doing that's not "officially" a workout? LIke maybe walking somewhere instead of driving or taking the dog (or a neighbor's dog??) out for a walk; jump roping; dancing; roller-blading; anything??