Best inner thigh exercises

Options
What are the best exercises to work the inner thigh? I don't belong to a gym, so no adductor/abductor machine. I do basic squats and cardio, but nothing is targeting that horrible flabby inner thigh area. I need help fast!

Replies

• socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What are the best exercises to work the inner thigh? I don't belong to a gym, so no adductor/abductor machine. I do basic squats and cardio, but nothing is targeting that horrible flabby inner thigh area. I need help fast!

I am looking for some tips also - my biggest problem
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I do Plié Squats.. I've horrible:noway: inner thighs, so...a work in progress! :wink:
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Same here I see no progress. I even added dumbbells to my squats but no change
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat.

If you are actually looking to strengthen your adductors, low bar barbell squats are very effective provided you do them correctly and over the full range of motion.
  • tamadrummer001
    tamadrummer001 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Squats (weighted and even body weight squats) Ab exercises will also help to tighten them inner thighs up. Raising your legs and doing like scissors kicks, and then of course the end all be all....... Running

When I started going to the gym 2 months ago, my inner thighs were a wreck! In 2 months of running, and having a leg/lower body work out at a minimum of every 3rd day and right now its every other day with the split we are doing.
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do Plié Squats.. I've horrible:noway: inner thighs, so...a work in progress! :wink:

How many plie squats do you do? With weights or without?
  • smoothandfast
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat.

If you are actually looking to strengthen your adductors, low bar barbell squats are very effective provided you do them correctly and over the full range of motion.

What are low bar barbell squats?
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm assuming squats are the way to go on that!
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A really cheap and easy thing is to buy a stretch band. They are like under $10 at walmart. Tie one end to something in your house like a radiator or something really heavy you can't pull over (I'm going to say radiator because that's what I use). Tie the other end to your ankle and stand with your legs apart, sideways to your radiator. Make sure you stand far enough away that the band is already taught. Pull the leg with the band tied to it toward your other leg until they touch. You'll feel the muscles working in your adductor muscles in your inner thighs.

Anything you do pulling or pushing inward will strengthen your adductors and anything pushing or pulling out will work your abductors (and butt).

ETA: this is a good strategy because you can then turn and face the other way, and work your abductors by pulling the same leg away from your body. Then you can turn and face the radiator and pull your leg backwards and target your butt, then face away from it and lift your leg straight up and work your thighs.

Basically what this does is add resistance which for your muscles is the same as adding weight.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I found running to work. If you can't run then just so some really fast walking to burn off the fat. Here are some toning ideas (I work out at home too):

1. Low Side Lunges: Equipment needed: medicine ball or small beach ball. Stand with legs wide apart with ball next to one of your feet. Perform a side lunge while pushing the ball from one foot to the other with your hands. Be sure to bend from the hips and not the waist. Do about 12 on each side.

2. Walking Ball Squeeze: Equipment needed: medical ball or small beach ball. Hold ball between thighs. While squeezing the ball, squat slightly and walk with ball between legs. Try not to drop the ball. I do this at a baseball field and walk from base to base.

3. Wall Ball Squat: Equipment needed: yep, the same ball. Stand with back against the wall. Slide down until thighs are parallel to floor. Place ball between legs and squeeze. Hold position static for 30 seconds while squeezing the ball. Repeat for 12 reps.

4. Side Slides: Equipment needed: furniture sliders. Place foot on one slider. Shift weight to other leg. Slowly slide leg out to the side (use proper squat form to protect knees) then slide leg back in. Complete 12 on each side.

These are just a few ideas. I also use resistance bands so there are some other exercises I do with the resistance bands.
  • robsmithey
    Options
    Stand with your feet approximately 2 ft apart. Place right hand on the back of a chair for support & balance. Keep your left foot on the floor (weight baring leg) then move the right leg in front of the left leg keeping the toe pointed.

Floor position: Lie on your right side. Support your head with right hand. Bend left knee over your right knee while making sure your right leg remains straight. Now lift your straight right leg up keeping toe pointed. Leg will only raise about one foot upwards.
  • smoothandfast
    Options

Thanks for the links - there are some good looking exercises here - single leg circles, squat with a ball...
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    bump! :)
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges, side lunges, plies, sumo squats, chair pose. Large muscle exercises that require stabilization (like squats and lunges) work the adductors and abductors better than the isolation machines because it's in balance with the other muscles.

But if there's extra fat there, you won't be spot reducing it. You'll be building the muscle underneath; but it won't show unless you lose the fat, and the only way to do that is a calorie deficit. (And time and patience as your body will trim fat from where it will, based on your genetics, and thighs may be a later area to trim than other places).
  • smoothandfast
    Options
    I found running to work. If you can't run then just so some really fast walking to burn off the fat. Here are some toning ideas (I work out at home too):

1. Low Side Lunges: Equipment needed: medicine ball or small beach ball. Stand with legs wide apart with ball next to one of your feet. Perform a side lunge while pushing the ball from one foot to the other with your hands. Be sure to bend from the hips and not the waist. Do about 12 on each side.

2. Walking Ball Squeeze: Equipment needed: medical ball or small beach ball. Hold ball between thighs. While squeezing the ball, squat slightly and walk with ball between legs. Try not to drop the ball. I do this at a baseball field and walk from base to base.

3. Wall Ball Squat: Equipment needed: yep, the same ball. Stand with back against the wall. Slide down until thighs are parallel to floor. Place ball between legs and squeeze. Hold position static for 30 seconds while squeezing the ball. Repeat for 12 reps.

4. Side Slides: Equipment needed: furniture sliders. Place foot on one slider. Shift weight to other leg. Slowly slide leg out to the side (use proper squat form to protect knees) then slide leg back in. Complete 12 on each side.

These are just a few ideas. I also use resistance bands so there are some other exercises I do with the resistance bands.

These are great ideas - thanks so much. I have a 6' medicine ball - that should work. What color resistance bands should I use? I have a red one but I think I need a tighter band. The red is to easy.