What happens when you quit Protein Powder?

Options
13»

Replies

• peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Your muscles deflate
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to gain more weight. In a month I've put on 2 kgs purely using food but I find it hard to make my daily calorie goal so I want to start taking protein powder. My question is what happens after you stop using it?

how-to-gain-muscle-for-skinny-guys-1060463-flash.jpg
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Instant Atrophy
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    LOL!!! Dude.........the world blows up!:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Spontaneous Bulksplosion.
  • StrictlyPro
    Options
    Your wallet bulks up

• missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I used to have chicken breast as a protein supplement but decided that was a habit I just had to stop - so I went cold turkey.

:laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile: aka lmao
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    If you want the truth, drink a protein shake and then fart.

Now stop taking protein shakes and fart.

You're welcome.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you stopped taking protein alltogether, your heart would stop. Simple.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Protein powder can be constipating. So you may find that you are more regular when you stop using it. Some people see it as a "cheat" to increase protien consumption in a bulk. I use it because organic, grass fed beef is too expensive.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% whey protein. It is about .77 cents a serving, and is a very good quality protein.

Try to avoid soy and soy isolate protein. There is still more research that needs to be done, but early studies indicate that it may inhibit testosterone production and increase estrogen and progesterone levels, which is pretty much the opposite of what you want to happen to increase muscle mass.

Any opinions on beef protein powder like Carnivore?
  • focknfree
    focknfree Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You spend a little more time off of the toilet bowl.
  • _Jason_Graham_
    _Jason_Graham_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You'll still need to meet your calorie requirement, regardless.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    its like falling off the planet earth.
    spirally down?
    who the hell knows!

Huh?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    There's a horrible flu-like phase that usually lasts for 4-7 days, and then the vomiting starts. It's usually about 24 hours of intense vomiting, and the worse part is that your body is actually vomiting muscle tissue, so the more muscle you have, the more intense it is. And then after that phase you're pretty much back to normal, but you will of course be weak, and your muscle mass will be back to where it was before you started. Don't do it. Don't quit.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Do not confuse protein powder with weight gainer shakes. They're very different.

A protein powder is there to assist in getting in some quick protein after a workout, or before bed when you don't want to make a meal to try get in the Protein amount that you still need to fulfill for your daily macro-nutrient needs.

A weight gainer generally consists of Protein, carbs and fats in order to allow you to get many extra calories into your day. Typically a weight gainer will consist of 50+ g proteins, 100+g of carbs and anywhere from 0-25g of fats.

Taking away a protein shake or weight gainer shake would just mean you'd need to eat foods that would match up to the macro-nutrient amounts that you are no longer getting from the shake.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Your muscles will just fall off!.....j/k

In all seriousness, protein powder is just a convenient way to get a good amount of protein into your diet. It is not necessary if you can get enough protein from other sources.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just another food. Your body doesn't know any different. Like everyone else says its good for Macro's.